lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I posted a few weeks ago that the locals were getting fed up with folk, this post below is from a local and the community association.

Evening all!

Parking at Glencaple Quay - We need your help!

Some of you will know of the Glencaple stopover in Dumfries & Galloway where we try to help manage the now-restricted space at Glencaple Quay for locals, businesses, visitors and motorhomes. We have a wee campervan of our own, so are aware of ‘wild camping’ issues!

THE PROBLEM*****

Along with the Nith Hotel, The Boathouse shop/ café/ restaurant want the parking spaces at the Quay. The Boathouse will be opening in the evenings 3 days a week in mid-September. On busy evenings just now, the Quay can be full of customers at the Nith Hotel alone. Once the Boathouse opens, there is going to be a real issue…

It's only a matter of time before physically restrictive action is taken (barriers/ bollards). And donations from motorhomes is our only source of income for community efforts that keep this shared area in good condition for all.

The businesses have recently tarmacked the main area and left room at the end for motorhomes. The best room we may add – the viewpoint at the end of the Quay. Note that this is not exclusive space, anyone – fishermen who have been coming here for 30 years use this too for example. Negotiations left room for just 5 (more if small campers). Caerlaverock Estate (who own the Boathouse) have provided a camping area (for a donation) at Castle Corner 3 miles south, as an ‘overflow’.

However, there are continually motorhomes parking in the car parking spaces on the Quay - using spaces the businesses need. We have heard of a motorhome parking sideways, taking up 4 spaces, and seen others with table and chairs out in another parking space – using 2 spaces designated for cars… when there is a perfectly good grassed area in front of them.

Note that we (the Community Association) have a limited influence in this area. We originally got the area looking smart – it was a real wasteground from what we hear - help keep it tidy, keep the grass cut etc. as well as designing signs and maintaining a ‘Welcome’ page on our website for visitors. This shared area is actually designated community space – being gifted to the community for their use by the Estate many years ago.

***FURTHER ISSUES***

Some locals feel like this shared space is now a campsite and feel like they are ‘invading’ the personal space of visitors when walking around it. Some mohos set up tables and chairs and have dogs tied up outside etc. There are benches and picnic tables we have provided for public use. Personally we have a dog we can’t take there if there are many dogs tied up, in case there is a noisy ruckus.

We have a 20mph road-safety campaign currently on-going, and the increase in motorhomes in our village with its blind bends and few pavements is an issue that gets raised.

There is the undeniable visual aspect of a bunch of motorhomes in a space where there used to be a beautiful view from the restaurants’ windows.

And on a separate issue, the Estate are having to empty their septic tank 3x more (at a cost) due to motorhomers dumping their waste having been at Glencaple Quay (at least it’s not in the public loos).

We also find, that we are picking up a lot of dog poo and dealing with overflowing bins, which instead of being used for general litter, are being filled with large bags of rubbish from visitors. Yesterday my dog walk was mostly tidying up the mess left, skirting round the outside of the encampment.

Both businesses are booming, the ‘we’ll take our business elsewhere’ argument doesn’t sit with them –the extra parking space will be welcomed. (To put it crudely: 1x motorhome = possible business. 2 or 3x cars = 2 or 3 lots of sure business. [some motorhomes take the space of 2 cars, and in the time 1 motorhome stays in the parking space, the businesses could have served at least 2 or 3 car loads of customers]). The Nith Hotel has an excellent reputation and custom locally, and The Boathouse had 10,000 customers through its doors in the first 3 months trading.

***SIGNS***

With input from the businesses, we have produced signs recently, to complement the existing signs, to make it clear what the community and businesses need.

o Keep car parking spaces clear between 9am and 9pm *** NOTE! This does not mean NO moho parking in daytime. The 'best' area at the end of the Quay is where it should be restricted to. We're talking about the car parking spaces that should be left clear. It's pretty generous really.
o Overnighting welcome - 9pm to 9am
o Other ‘good practice’ in brief (i.e. how to behave respectfully)

This is a monitored trial – an experiment or test if you like, and we really hope it works. However, the signs went up on 1st August, and already the businesses are, understandably, reaching the end of their tether… as the signs are being wilfully ignored at times.

Some motorhomes have parked right in front of the signs which specifically state no parking until 9pm. We have read threads on here asking ‘is this sign legally enforceable?’ etc. Our real difficulty is that with this kind of attitude, enforcement by means of height or width barriers are going to be put in place.

It could all go swimmingly, and it needs to be sustainable, but ignoring the signs will kill it all off. And we’ve reached the knife edge of that point now. We as the Caerlaverock Community Association, and myself as a campervanner, have been trying to communicate with all parties. With credit to the lovely motorhomers we have spoken to.

This long post then has a point!

***SUGGESTIONS PLEASE***

What can we do? What might actually work? Have you seen something elsewhere which is working? Practical suggestions and ideas welcome, with thanks!

Some references online to show the efforts made to keep this project sustainable – because we are well aware as campervanners ourselves the lack of this kind of facility in the UK.

Our motorhomers welcome Page:
https://caerlaverock.org.uk/motorhomes-in-caerlaverock/

New Signs up:
https://caerlaverock.org.uk/new-signs-for-motorhomers-at-glencaple-quay/

Donations Page:
https://caerlaverock.org.uk/donate/

Useful info Page:
https://caerlaverock.org.uk/useful-info/

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do feel for them, but if we stay there we do eat at the hotel and arriving at 9 wouldnt work for that

Very hard to know other than physical barriers, how they can restrict access which will in turn make deliveries to the cafe difficult

Equally if only there from 9 to 9 the numbers using it are less of an issue, but control will be a nightmare for them :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
pretty simple i would say, just charge motorhomes for parking on the part reserved for cars and i mean charge probably somrthing like £20 a day, that will make them think on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
but if we stay there we do eat at the hotel
Sadly David, I suspect you're in the minority...
Unfortunately, a lot of Brits tend to be given an "inch" and take the proverbial "mile" as their 'right'... and that applies to motorhomes as well - there's plenty of evidence amongst Funster threads.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
pretty simple i would say, just charge motorhomes for parking on the part reserved for cars and i mean charge probably somrthing like £20 a day, that will make them think on
Not so simple I'd suggest
Would £20 cover the cost of provision, or enforcement?
Would £20 compensate for the loss of two spaces, and the revenue generated by 6+ car loads - I doubt it.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Height barrier only answer, and put an Aire in further down or up the river. At 3 miles the castle is to far for most people to walk.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not so simple I'd suggest
Would £20 cover the cost of provision, or enforcement?
Would £20 compensate for the loss of two spaces, and the revenue generated by 6+ car loads - I doubt it.
ok £20 was only a suggestion that i thought would be enough if not, make it £50 or whatever makes it viable, or ban them altogether apart from their designated part.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I do feel for them, but if we stay there we do eat at the hotel and arriving at 9 wouldnt work for that

Very hard to know other than physical barriers, how they can restrict access which will in turn make deliveries to the cafe difficult

Equally if only there from 9 to 9 the numbers using it are less of an issue, but control will be a nightmare for them :(
Agree, arriving at 9pm is no good for me, that's past my bedtime, although it does also say daytime parking is allowed. ??

"Keep car parking spaces clear between 9am and 9pm *** NOTE! This does not mean NO moho parking in daytime."

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My understanding this car park is not an official motorhome aire .

Problems with parking of motorhomes should in the first instance be addressed to Dumfries Council, the local community council do not have these powers.

I have already posted this which was the reply from Dumfries Council to my enquiry as to the legal standing of notices

This car park is a Council asset and is managed and maintained by them. The local Community Council has erected the signs but they have no legal backing and therefore there is no charge for parking overnight. Some of the Council’s car parks do have a Traffic Order that restricts any overnight camping but this is not one of them – appropriate signs are in place where there is a restriction.

Regards

Graeme Alison

Roads Manager| Dumfries and Galloway Council | EEI | Cargen Tower | Garroch Business Centre | Dumfries | DG2 8PN | Drop Point 244
T: | I: 62472 | M: | E: graeme.alison@dumgal.gov.uk | W: http://www.dumgal.gov.uk

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015

You can still park on the designated motorhome spots at any time.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Interesting point highlighted by @scotjimland This car park is a Council asset and is managed and maintained by them. I have every respect for the local community association taking matters into their own hands to beautify the place but despite that they really don't have any authority to do anything and I really feel for them. Once again it is the selfishness of a few that is now almost certainly going to ruin it for everybody - I would guess the council will eventually take matters into their own hands and motorhomes will be totally banned. Fees, clamping etc. all need to be legally authorised, set up and administered and will never cover the costs involved.

To my mind the residents association need to look at this differently and the idea of setting up an aire close by has a good deal of merit. We once stayed at a small campsite very close to a Scottish village (can't remember where unfortunately) that had been provided and was operated by the local community. Very basic facilities and if I remember an honesty box for the minimal fees - although that probably wouldn't work very well these days. Oh for the old days! With the enthusiasm already shown I'm sure a similar scheme is viable, but of course they're going to need the cooperation of the council too. Then ban motorhomes completely in the disputed area - it's the only way to stop it.

I now await the inevitable reactions of those who feel they have a right to stay wherever and whenever they like! :restmycase:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Pay, are you mad!! That would never catch on :D:D:D
Completely agree I can’t understand why so many people don’t want to pay for a facility and it’s no argument that they don’t need anything, they do,the space they are quite happy tp spend the night on.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I think writing the signs clearly in other languages might help too.
That would be a definite hep Sandra, was there on one occasion and was the only English van out of 11.
Gerry would it be an idea to link this thread to the Caerlaverock Community site webmaster?

MalcLaurie

Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Hullo all! I'm the person that helped all that original bumf - and co-maintain the Caerlaverock Community website - instead of going out in our van which I promised to do today - for the first time this year!

Lots of reasoned and reasonable info - thank you - really just trying to gather info in case there are nuggets of wisdom that might help.

I suppose the whole thing here is actually too many people want the same space.

I suggest that everybody goes home, the businesses shut, so I can go walk my doggo in complete peace and quiet and sit and eat chocolate and coffee and watch the river go by. I am pretty sure that's the best option.

My partner has just shown me a Facebook pic from 5 years ago, when I used to come here and park in our Bedford Bambi, before I saw a house for rent and decided to stay here.

It was a welcoming place back then - and in the intervening time I have noticed more and more motorhomers come - sometimes up to 22 in a very small space - basically crowding out everything else.

My main concern here to to help make it sustainable and avoid the height barriers we see when travelling around ourselves. I don't want to dedicate my entire life to it though, as personal funtime and full time job are suffering a bit.

If I try and put it in a nutshell - everybody has to co-exist here under guidelines - suggestions - recommendations. It's either that or force the hand of people that can make physical changes. The businesses might, and the council might. Game over.

Latest idea, which I haven't mentioned, as didn't want to colour any ideas people had, is a multi language leaflet outlining the problem, and basically saying, if you don't conform to these guidelines, you are putting the whole facility at risk. It's a "welcome" leaflet of course too.

This is super annoying for the 90-ish percent of us who DO conform of course. Same with anything, "bloody cyclists, bloody dog walkers, bloody joggers."

I think the provision here has been very generous, summed up in this line.

"Park wherever you like overnight, but in daytime, restrict it to the end bit only, keeping the marked bays clear. Don't park like a maniac. Tidy up. Oh and here's a 'free"campsite too."

Anyway, got to pack up and go out in Freddie our t25, which is all charged up and ready to go. Hoping out favourite wildcamping spots havent had height barriers installed since last time....
Malc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When we first visited it was lovely quiet place.. only a few vans, two or three, but within the space of a few years is has been advertised on social media as an aire and wild camping spot,. It's listed in Campercontact, and SFS and no doubt numerous other forums and apps for motorhome parking and wild camping places.

I have no doubt the good people of Glencaple thought it a good idea to attract a few motorhomes bringing in a bit of extra revenue for local businesses.. but never realising or understanding that it would soon be all over the web.. attracting people from all over Europe.

I'm afraid the genie is out the bottle.. and it won't go back in, as I said in my first post, Dumfries Council are the only people who have any legal authority to do anything.. If enough locals complain to them and they will have to take action.. and it may result in having a TRO banning motorhomes altogether..

A victim of it's own success.. yes, definitely , but without official status and operated and controlled by Dumfries Council, it was inevitable this would happen

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I agree with you but there are people who think everything should be free if you own a motorhome, some on this forum. Even space has to be paid for by someone.
Phil

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I agree with you but there are people who think everything should be free if you own a motorhome, some on this forum. Even space has to be paid for by someone.
Phil
Don't think that is quite true, I was one of the contributors to the Whitby thread and others along the same lines and I don't think anyone wanted free parking , just to be allowed to park and sleep was the thing we wanted no problem paying for it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We once stayed at a small campsite very close to a Scottish village (can't remember where unfortunately) that had been provided and was operated by the local community.
Kings Green in Port William?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I live in Dumfries and Galloway and sadly I think Glencaple is dying a slow death due to it's popularity and well broadcast location. Though I live at the western end of the region we too have places that are now being 'overused' so to speak. Places where only a few years ago there may be one or two vans parked up overnight I now see five or more vans, and even caravans, parked for a week or more. This, I believe, is not in the spirit of 'Wild Camping'. It should be stop for the night, late on, then move on again the next morning. This is what we do, rarely parking before 7pm and packing up before 9am. I fear Glencaple will be regulated soon and be unavailable.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would get onto the owners of the apps its appeared on and get them removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i would get onto the owners of the apps its appeared on and get them removed

yes, that could be done.. I've had places removed on Campercontact .. but as soon as it's removed, sooner or later someone will add again .. SFS is a prime example, it's full of illegal camping places and wrong information..

but it's not just apps .. it's listed on forums and numerous Facebook pages.. .. plus word of mouth.

as I said ,.. the Genie is out of the bottle

Reactions: GJH

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@MalcLaurie THANKYOU for all your efforts. Nice to see someone has an open mind and looking at both sides. I really think a nicely put strong worded notice in several languages should help.

ditto Well said Sandra

there are people who think everything should be free if you own a motorhome,

Pretty sure this was not aimed at you @chaser

There is ALWAYS a cost to everything we do (except maybe to breathe) and someone has to pay.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If I lived nearer I would be practising my public skills and telling the vans to get their ass 3miles up the road where all facilities are provided free.

It would be a shame if we were to loose this area. Whose tried the chicken n haggis in the Nith hotel, its yummy. (y)

Maybe the hotel could provide a set time pick up and drop off vehicle for those at castle corner, Just a suggestion as 9pm at night to be settled is far too late for those that want to go for dinner and are 3 miles away.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I find it sad when a small community try to do something for lots of visitors and all they get is grief.
I prefer not to be on a site if I’m honest, probably I’m a bit anti social as I prefer to choose my friends :)
The only solution I can see is as suggested an aire or similar.
I’m more than happy to use honesty boxes as well but I’ll bet many don’t use them. They probably think they are “beating” the system when the money goes towards facilities.

I hope the community find a solution to suit all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe the hotel could provide a set time pick up and drop off vehicle for those at castle corner, Just a suggestion as 9pm at night to be settled is far too late for those that want to go for dinner and are 3 miles away.

don't think the Nith Hotel would be interested.. when we were there the hotel carpark and the quay was ram packed with cars

as for 'strongly worded signs' .. in many languages.. won't make a jot of difference.. FLTs don't read signs or even if they do, don't care if they break rules ,as said in the original post .. Language is not the barrier to obeying simple rules.. it's their attitude that needs to be adjusted.. with a baseball bat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back