Galloway Forest Park wild camping (1 Viewer)

Silverlady

Free Member
Aug 19, 2017
Funster No
Is there anywhere I can "wild camp"within The Galloway Forest Park without causing a problem to landowners?

OP
OP
S

Silverlady

Free Member
Aug 19, 2017
Funster No
Hi Lenny, phoned Forestry Commission and was advised there is no overnight parking camping at any of their visitor centre car parks, or at the red Deer range, or at the otter pool in the raiders road.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
You can stop in the Forestry commision car parks not banned like in England.

Not according to this :

Wild camping
Camping wild in the forest can be fun if you're hardy. Please choose a campsite that’s well away from buildings, roads and our recreation facilities and do your best to leave no trace of your stay. This type of camping is lightweight and done in small numbers, for only two or three nights in a place. Overnight parking of cars and campervans is not permitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi Lenny, phoned Forestry Commission and was advised there is no overnight parking camping at any of their visitor centre car parks, or at the red Deer range, or at the otter pool in the raiders road.
Although the Forestry Commission might not tell you this , up past Glentrool visitors centre there is car park at the end of the road at Bruce's Stone and motorhomes often overnight there

OP
OP
S

Silverlady

Free Member
Aug 19, 2017
Funster No
Thanks MH, this was the information I got when I contacted the local forestry commission offices in Newton Stewart. So will follow their advice and will camp responsibly within the region.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A few years back I used a delightful spot on the A762 at the NW end of Loch Ken. It was a small parking area right next to the loch and we had the place to ourselves. There were bigger forestry car parks further S so we would have been ok if it had been full. I approached from New Galloway with the loch and the car park on our left.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I find the forestry commission will tend not to advertise the fact... Come overnight here because if they did the place would be mobbed.
However if you park responsibly, don't leave a mess, leave the area as if you had never been there it's unlikely you will be moved.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It's up to you what you do with that information, of course, but I can tell you that we have parked overnight at the red deer range on a few occasions, and chatted with the rangers while there. They told us they were happy to have people stay there overnight.

Spike and Arran are also happy for people to park there, so long as you have plenty of carrots for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back