Getting stuck in the mud.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Rolled up at court farm at twigworth on Monday in the RV it's an all grass site, we've had a lot of rain but you can try your pitch if you like says the lady, took one look and said your joking, so they moved us on to the large drive, hardstanding and leccy, nice.
Others have been move daring and have managed to get on but not off the pitches, the tractor has been very busy pulling them off when they want to leave.

Just been watching a 21 plate rapido being pulled backwards, he didn't even make the pitch. They used a dirty great 4 wheel drive dumper truck after the tractor failed to move him.
Yesterday a hired roller team 746 22 plate got his front wheels on the grass and that was it. He's now beside us.

The grass is churned up so why they are allowing them to even try is nuts.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If I think it's going to be bad I take some fibreglass sand ladder grippy things and with hydraulic jacks it's easy to lift the van and put them under the wheels.

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria
I won't book a grass pitch this time of year (not in this country anyway) .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You need twin RWD and winter tyres for much better traction, even then if it’s a total mud bath you will get stuck.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I have 4 lengths of chipboard, painted and with a rubber cover glued on the top.....I have managed to crawl about 100 yards across a pretty much ploughed field mascarading as a campsite 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm in the New Forest. The ground looks dry, but it's just a crust. Very swampy underneath. Made the wife get out and scout the ground before we went on to the pitch 😁. Still left some nice furrows. Also watched a VW camper with very wide rims just spin and dig itself in.

Likes collected
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
C806AC62-4F74-4133-89EC-07B2BA232631.jpeg

Stopped over at a friends for dinner on Thursday night. Park on the lawn they said. Are you sure said I. Needed to let the drive tyres down and use a ratchet strap off a fence post to get back off. Sank so far that it bunged up the grey water drain. All part of the fun 😎

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m at a site now, parked on very soft grass and others have been getting stuck. Will be interesting tomorrow am when we are moving on.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
took one look and said your joking,

So have I, but If I think it's bad, I go somewhere else.
You and Mr both Olley.

I just don't do it anymore. The last time was at the Chester Racecource Food Festival Meet several years ago, and after that, I said "never again". :(

Our current MH was one of the very few to make it off site, under it's own steam. Wasn't it @funflar Martin?
I saw you walk the course before tackling it. ;)

We were FWD at the time so had no chance, as reversing out wasn’t an option. :(

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yep, that’s me, one wheel spinning on the grass at Scott’s Farm site. Won’t dig myself in, I’ll get them to give me a tow and move, I’m only a few feet in off the tarmac.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You and Mr both Olley.

I just don't do it anymore. The last time was at the Chester Racecource Food Festival Meet several years ago, and after that, I said "never again". :(

Our current MH was one of the very few to make it off site, under it's own steam. Wasn't it @funflar Martin?
I saw you walk the course before tackling it. ;)

We were FWD at the time so had no chance, as reversing out wasn’t an option. :(

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
I was amazed at what that van would drive through Jock, yes I did walk the course but had the change the route very rapidly when I realised that the diff lock meant I didn't have much steering :unsure:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I'm in the New Forest. The ground looks dry, but it's just a crust. Very swampy underneath. Made the wife get out and scout the ground before we went on to the pitch 😁. Still left some nice furrows. Also watched a VW camper with very wide rims just spin and dig itself in.

The T4 Westy never got bogged even when it was very muddy. EDL and narrow tyres worked better than you might think.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The T4 Westy never got bogged even when it was very muddy. EDL and narrow tyres worked better than you might think.
I suspect the deep dish alloys with rubber band tyres and low suspension weren't helping. Plus, he was just flooring it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Grass only here at Quackers and 29 vans have made it up the slope and parked up with very little drama.
Fingers crossed for return journey. We have parked our driving wheels on mats and rear on ramps, so hope to at least move off the spot.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Busy time here watching the leaving. Very different approaches to leaving wet boggy grass 🫣🫣

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
Where we are, it hammered down just before we got here, so driving over the grass left muddy tracks purely from our weight (5t) but traction on, and driving at tick over no drama, 10 minutes later a smaller lighter van decided that once he lost grip, more welly was the answer🤔 result lovely deep ruts.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
.... Bugger...
PXL_20230411_082039467.jpg

Traction control just spins both wheels. Rocking forward and back just makes me a deeper hole.

They pulled out 25 vans yesterday.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Suggestion to A-class owners: make sure your towing eye is accessible through the custom front bodywork. Mine is off centre my a few mm and it took a bit of finagling to get it threatened. Best not to find out it's inaccessible when you're ankle deep in mud.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
We were booked on a camc rally at skipton, I bailed out when they were offering a 4 x 4 to site the Van's with, booked onto another rally at brough which got cancelled at the last minute as they didnt want the football pitches carving up. So ended up at derby on the Ukrainian youth centre, even tho the ground was wet it was surprisingly firm enough to drive a 5t tag over. A good site to hold a rally, canal walk to a carvery type pub with huge beer garden overlooking a lake.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
Which is why we didn't argue with the site owners at Avon Bank Meadows when they 'suggested' that our Easter Rally should be cancelled.

View attachment 737998
Probably a good idea in hindsight.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
Suggestion to A-class owners: make sure your towing eye is accessible through the custom front bodywork. Mine is off centre my a few mm and it took a bit of finagling to get it threatened. Best not to find out it's inaccessible when you're ankle deep in mud.
I had to fettle about 10mm of grille away so the towing eye would go in. Luckily I checked it before we left. I don't believe we are the only one's with this issue, perhaps this needs to be added to the PDI check!!

sedge

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
We had this trouble with a few mohos at the rally we were in charge of over Easter. I commented to Pete I thought it was odd how anyone of a similar age didn't remember driving an 'all boot and bonnet' model where in the winter months you automatically loaded eg a paving slab, breeze block etc in the boot and had to learn the light footed throttle technique, so you automatically switch to that mode on mud or anywhere you'd aquaplane otherwise.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Where is the towing eye usually stored on a Carthago? We've had a good root around in the new MH but haven't managed to find it yet.
For Ducato based mohos, it's in the box containing the sketchy scissor jack.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
For Ducato based mohos, it's in the box containing the sketchy scissor jack.
We haven't found that either :think: though we have levellers so the jack itself shouldn't actually be needed (y). On the Rapido (Fiat) the jack and stuff was just a felt package in one of the lockers, on the Bailey (Peugeot) it was in a tray under the passenger seat. I was wondering if there's a specific place I should check in the Carthago....before we put it on the list for the dealer to sort out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back