Getting a toll tag for Norway: Update (22nd June, 2022) (4 Viewers)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our dog has a European passport so there shouldn't be any problems with EU countries. So how does this affect entry into Norway? I understood that it is similar to returning to UK i.e. a worming visit entered in the passport a certain time before crossing.
Six years ago we crossed into Norway from Finland. All my research showed there was no need for anything in particular for the dog, including crossing into Finland from Sweden. In the event we did try to find out but there were no border posts and anyone we asked wasn't interested!
We're planning June and July.

We didn't bother with toll tags but as we'll probably be using more ferries it could be worthwhile so I'll checkout some of the info gleaned here. I've sorted the Camping Keycard which is a carnet-type card (or app) that most campsites require.

These Big Adventures

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
sunliving A75
Exp
Newb
I've just got my toll tag from Fremtind through the post. My autopass ferry card has also come through for the 50% off discount. I used my starling bank account to send the 3000nok pre payment using the IBAN number on the invoice.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Our dog has a European passport so there shouldn't be any problems with EU countries. So how does this affect entry into Norway? I understood that it is similar to returning to UK i.e. a worming visit entered in the passport a certain time before crossing.
Six years ago we crossed into Norway from Finland. All my research showed there was no need for anything in particular for the dog, including crossing into Finland from Sweden. In the event we did try to find out but there were no border posts and anyone we asked wasn't interested!
We're planning June and July.

We didn't bother with toll tags but as we'll probably be using more ferries it could be worthwhile so I'll checkout some of the info gleaned here. I've sorted the Camping Keycard which is a carnet-type card (or app) that most campsites require.
Your dogs will have to be re wormed if you go out of Norway into Finland or Sweden and want to back into Norway. We were asked for the worming with our cats untill I explained that cats do not need worming, after they checked we were ok to go back into Norway from Finland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So, entry into Norway from Sweden will need a worming treatment, looks like same time schedule as UK. As an aside, vet treatment is NOT CHEAP so suggest your insurance cover is checked. Worming probably about £60!

Have ordered Fremtind toll tag and also organised AutoPASS ferry pass. Will need to register the toll tag with AutoPASS when received.

And people say Morocco is complicated!

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
We are heading to Norway in June and have been looking at the issue of tags v just registering with autopass and paying via our credit card. As we are unlikely to head north again a tag seemed alot of effort, but I have no idea of the amount of savings on offer. Out of interest how much do you think you saved? We are under 3.5t Many thanks
Remember that if you register your motorhome in Norway with the Autopass system you will only be charged for a 3,5t vehicle. I live here and have a US RV, all motorhomes only pay as a 3,5t. Its the law with these tags.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
We have arrived today in Kristiansand. We ended up with a bro biz account. Not used a toll yet, but will be doing tomorrow I guess. Not seen a British reg since we left England last Tuesday, lots of German, Dutch a few Swiss, 1 french and 1 Austrian my/pvc/ overlanders.
Hi we just ordered a bro bizz, have them our bank details, they sent us a bizz ( tag) to put in the window, then registered for the ferries, sent 3000 k to them and added the ferry pass number to our bro biz, do only had one tag.
You seem to be taking a more complicated way, but it will work. Will you get charged twice, may be as a lot of the ferries still take number plate registration. Check out our vids on you tube wend yer way.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
So, entry into Norway from Sweden will need a worming treatment, looks like same time schedule as UK. As an aside, vet treatment is NOT CHEAP so suggest your insurance cover is checked. Worming probably about £60!

Have ordered Fremtind toll tag and also organised AutoPASS ferry pass. Will need to register the toll tag with AutoPASS when received.

And people say Morocco is complicated! I'm
Do not forget to sort a bridge pass out to if you intend to go from Denmark to Sweden.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Going to Norway ordered auto pass. I’m 3.8 tonnes does that mean I’ll pay more because I registered I in uk.
regards Andy

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We are planning a trip to Norway this summer in our 5.4m 3.5t PVC. We are going to catch a ferry to Norway from Denmark (Hirtshals) then we’re going to drive up the west coast before returning home via Sweden and Denmark.

There are lots of toll roads in Norway. Also, there are a number of ferry crossings, especially if travelling up the west coast.

There are two bridges with tolls if you drive home via Sweden into Denmark: Øresund Bridge and Storebælt Bridge.

I’ve written a long explanation of what I’ve organised as I want to pass this information to my sister as she is planning a trip later in the year.

I must say that I found myself getting confused quite a lot when reading through all the information. I’m not entirely sure that I’ve got it right yet! If anyone thinks I’ve got something wrong below, please do let me know!

Sorry for the long post but maybe it will help someone to get through this a bit quicker than I did.

Norway tolls and ferries

In Norway, AutoPASS is the automated system for collection of road and ferry tolls; it is owned by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.

AutoPASS does not issue toll tags itself. Instead, there are a number of providers who are authorised by AutoPASS to issue toll payment tags which can be used to pay the road and ferry tolls in Norway.

There are financial benefits if you use a toll tag rather than just driving without one.

One benefit of using a toll tag to pay for ferries in Norway is that you get a 10% discount. However, if you sign up for a supplementary agreement at autopassferje.no, you can get a discount of up to 50% on the ferries. This is called the ‘AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement’.

ØresundPAY

I decided to choose ØresundPAY (https://oresundpay.com/en) as my toll service provider since we will be crossing the Øresund bridge on the way home (although perhaps the other providers also cover those bridges — I didn’t check). ØresundPAY gives you automatic payment on bridges, ferries and toll roads across Scandinavia.
  • I ordered a ØresundPAY toll tag (‘bizz’), which was sent to me at home.
  • I included the vehicle’s details so that we are charged at the correct rate for the size and diesel class.
  • The toll tag was free of charge.
  • I now have an online ØresundPAY My Account.
  • I have attached my credit card to My Account.
When we pass through a toll gate in Denmark, Norway or Sweden, my credit card will be charged.

Discount contracts with ØresundPAY

In addition, you can connect local discount contracts to your ØresundPAY account to get discounts.

There are two discount contracts available for the Øresund bridge (both of which require payment of a fee) but I don’t think either will be applicable to our single journey across the bridge.

When I spoke to ØresundPAY customer service with a query, she added a Storebælt discount contract to My Account. However, I’m not clear if this will actually give me a discount as none of the agreements shown on the Storebælt website seem to apply to us.

AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement

In order to benefit from the 50% discount on ferries within Norway, I signed up for the ‘AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement’ (https://autopassferje.no/en/). The agreement includes most of Norway’s ferry connections.

When you create an AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement, you get an AutoPASS ferry account, which you can access online.

You need to deposit money in advance (3,000 NOK, about £230, for Group 1 vehicles up to 8 meters) to your AutoPASS ferry account. As I understand it, after each ferry journey, payment – including discount – is deducted from your ferry account, rather than payment via the credit card attached to the ØresundPAY toll tag, but I’m not sure about this as there seems to be conflicting information.

You will automatically be notified with an invoice to top up your ferry account when your prepaid amount is down to approximately 25%.

If you have money in your AutoPASS ferry account that you want refunded after your trip, you send a written notice to their customer service to cancel the agreement. The money will then be refunded to your bank account.

As part of the process for creating an AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement, you link your AutoPASS ferry account to your toll tag agreement so that you are charged at the correct rate for your vehicle. If your vehicle already has a toll tag, the system should automatically find the tag number when you enter the vehicle’s registration number (but see my Note below).

Note:

When I entered my vehicle registration number in the AutoPASS webform to create an AutoPASS ferry prepayment agreement, the tag number field autocompleted with a different tag number to that shown on my tag and my ØresundPAY My Account (the first digits matched but not the whole number). I contacted both AutoPASS and ØresundPAY and found out that the tags from ØresundPAY have two different tag numbers: one for use outside Norway and one for use in Norway. It turned out that the tag number which autocompleted on the AutoPASS webform was the correct one for Norway’s AutoPASS.

AutoPASS Ferry card

There are a few ferries in Norway which use the AutoPASS ferry card for payment rather than the AutoPASS toll tag. You can choose to order one of these cards when setting up the AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement and it will be sent to you in the post (delivery by mail can take 1-2 weeks). The AutoPASS ferry card costs 50 NOK (about £4) and this cost is deducted from the 3,000 NOK that you deposit in your AutoPASS ferry account.

I ordered that ferry card and I can see that the 50 NOK has been deducted from my AutoPASS ferry account balance so I should get the card in the post in the next few weeks.

Depositing 3,000 NOK in advance

Once I set up the AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement, I received an email invoice from ‘AutoPASS for ferje (v/Skyttel AS)’ for the 3,000 NOK prepayment.

I used Wise to send the 3,000 NOK as that was considerably cheaper than using my bank current account. I used the IBAN and Swift numbers from the invoice along with the KID number, and sent the funds to Skyttell AS. Wise informed me when the payment would be made. It took two days after the payment was sent by Wise for the funds to arrive in my AutoPASS ferry account.

Apparently, you should only use the KID number as the Reference when sending money although I added also my user name and the transfer went through okay.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've just done the same and as far as I can see you're spot-on with everything.

The one thing I need to find out now is if Autopasse and/or my toll tag covers the Oresund Bridge, 'cos that's very expensive, cost us almost Eu100 a few years ago.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
In simple terms, that's correct. Well done you. I used bro bizz.it might get easier, as the EU agreed that tag/ bizz companies can now make agreements with all other EU countries, meaning in the future we may only need to register with 1company not 3 that I have had to do.
Have a great trip.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We are planning a trip to Norway this summer in our 5.4m 3.5t PVC. We are going to catch a ferry to Norway from Denmark (Hirtshals) then we’re going to drive up the west coast before returning home via Sweden and Denmark.

There are lots of toll roads in Norway. Also, there are a number of ferry crossings, especially if travelling up the west coast.

There are two bridges with tolls if you drive home via Sweden into Denmark: Øresund Bridge and Storebælt Bridge.

I’ve written a long explanation of what I’ve organised as I want to pass this information to my sister as she is planning a trip later in the year.

I must say that I found myself getting confused quite a lot when reading through all the information. I’m not entirely sure that I’ve got it right yet! If anyone thinks I’ve got something wrong below, please do let me know!

Sorry for the long post but maybe it will help someone to get through this a bit quicker than I did.

Norway tolls and ferries

In Norway, AutoPASS is the automated system for collection of road and ferry tolls; it is owned by the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.

AutoPASS does not issue toll tags itself. Instead, there are a number of providers who are authorised by AutoPASS to issue toll payment tags which can be used to pay the road and ferry tolls in Norway.

There are financial benefits if you use a toll tag rather than just driving without one.

One benefit of using a toll tag to pay for ferries in Norway is that you get a 10% discount. However, if you sign up for a supplementary agreement at autopassferje.no, you can get a discount of up to 50% on the ferries. This is called the ‘AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement’.

ØresundPAY

I decided to choose ØresundPAY (https://oresundpay.com/en) as my toll service provider since we will be crossing the Øresund bridge on the way home (although perhaps the other providers also cover those bridges — I didn’t check). ØresundPAY gives you automatic payment on bridges, ferries and toll roads across Scandinavia.
  • I ordered a ØresundPAY toll tag (‘bizz’), which was sent to me at home.
  • I included the vehicle’s details so that we are charged at the correct rate for the size and diesel class.
  • The toll tag was free of charge.
  • I now have an online ØresundPAY My Account.
  • I have attached my credit card to My Account.
When we pass through a toll gate in Denmark, Norway or Sweden, my credit card will be charged.

Discount contracts with ØresundPAY

In addition, you can connect local discount contracts to your ØresundPAY account to get discounts.

There are two discount contracts available for the Øresund bridge (both of which require payment of a fee) but I don’t think either will be applicable to our single journey across the bridge.

When I spoke to ØresundPAY customer service with a query, she added a Storebælt discount contract to My Account. However, I’m not clear if this will actually give me a discount as none of the agreements shown on the Storebælt website seem to apply to us.

AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement

In order to benefit from the 50% discount on ferries within Norway, I signed up for the ‘AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement’ (https://autopassferje.no/en/). The agreement includes most of Norway’s ferry connections.

When you create an AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement, you get an AutoPASS ferry account, which you can access online.

You need to deposit money in advance (3,000 NOK, about £230, for Group 1 vehicles up to 8 meters) to your AutoPASS ferry account. As I understand it, after each ferry journey, payment – including discount – is deducted from your ferry account, rather than payment via the credit card attached to the ØresundPAY toll tag, but I’m not sure about this as there seems to be conflicting information.

You will automatically be notified with an invoice to top up your ferry account when your prepaid amount is down to approximately 25%.

If you have money in your AutoPASS ferry account that you want refunded after your trip, you send a written notice to their customer service to cancel the agreement. The money will then be refunded to your bank account.

As part of the process for creating an AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement, you link your AutoPASS ferry account to your toll tag agreement so that you are charged at the correct rate for your vehicle. If your vehicle already has a toll tag, the system should automatically find the tag number when you enter the vehicle’s registration number (but see my Note below).

Note:

When I entered my vehicle registration number in the AutoPASS webform to create an AutoPASS ferry prepayment agreement, the tag number field autocompleted with a different tag number to that shown on my tag and my ØresundPAY My Account (the first digits matched but not the whole number). I contacted both AutoPASS and ØresundPAY and found out that the tags from ØresundPAY have two different tag numbers: one for use outside Norway and one for use in Norway. It turned out that the tag number which autocompleted on the AutoPASS webform was the correct one for Norway’s AutoPASS.

AutoPASS Ferry card

There are a few ferries in Norway which use the AutoPASS ferry card for payment rather than the AutoPASS toll tag. You can choose to order one of these cards when setting up the AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement and it will be sent to you in the post (delivery by mail can take 1-2 weeks). The AutoPASS ferry card costs 50 NOK (about £4) and this cost is deducted from the 3,000 NOK that you deposit in your AutoPASS ferry account.

I ordered that ferry card and I can see that the 50 NOK has been deducted from my AutoPASS ferry account balance so I should get the card in the post in the next few weeks.

Depositing 3,000 NOK in advance

Once I set up the AutoPASS for ferry prepayment agreement, I received an email invoice from ‘AutoPASS for ferje (v/Skyttel AS)’ for the 3,000 NOK prepayment.

I used Wise to send the 3,000 NOK as that was considerably cheaper than using my bank current account. I used the IBAN and Swift numbers from the invoice along with the KID number, and sent the funds to Skyttell AS. Wise informed me when the payment would be made. It took two days after the payment was sent by Wise for the funds to arrive in my AutoPASS ferry account.

Apparently, you should only use the KID number as the Reference when sending money although I added also my user name and the transfer went through okay.
That is fantastic, very concise, thank you helzie2020. I notice that you are under 3.5tonne we are over and I have been told that I should use BroBizz but I can’t find out why. We are just planning for three months in Scandinavia, mainly Norway from June 2024 and it seems that a small mistake can cost a lot of unnecessary extra in tolls. We are in Spain at the moment but will phone them when we get back In a few weeks.
I wonder whether any of these will work on the French tolls.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
That is fantastic, very concise, thank you helzie2020. I notice that you are under 3.5tonne we are over and I have been told that I should use BroBizz but I can’t find out why. We are just planning for three months in Scandinavia, mainly Norway from June 2024 and it seems that a small mistake can cost a lot of unnecessary extra in tolls. We are in Spain at the moment but will phone them when we get back In a few weeks.
I wonder whether any of these will work on the French tolls.

We only had a few weeks in Norway so I envy your 3 months. We loved Norway and plan to go back. Apparently, there are plans to reinstate the Newcastle to Bergen ferry in 2026 so we will go again then as the drive from Glasgow to Essex to Holland through northern Germany and Denmark was long and tiring!

We only got as far north as Trondheim. I think our road toll bill in Norway amounted to about £50. We only used 3 ferries which amounted to about £10 plus the ferry to the Fram Museum in Oslo was nearly £15.

I don't remember anything about the weight of your motorhome but then mine is less than 3.5t so perhaps I didn't notice. The Autopass FAQ gives different prices depending on the length of your vehicle and also a list of companies who issue tags (https://autopassferje.no/en/faq/). You could contact AutoPASS using their contact form (https://autopassferje.no/en/contact-us/) to be sure.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
indeed there are..

Despite voicing my doubts on an earlier thread this project seems to be still on as a recent email confirms.

1707817649751.png

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Check out Eurosully on YT and their website they made the trip to Nordcamp about six months ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back