Getting a toll tag for Norway: Update (22nd June, 2022) (1 Viewer)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Getting a toll tag set up, if one goes about it the right way (which I didn't), is not too difficult. I've eventually done it, while in Norway, but for reasons that are or will become obvious, this is not to be recommended. Do it in good time and somewhere - at home, for example - to where a tag can be sent through the post.

The following procedure should work:

1. Go to the AutoPASS site

https://www.autopass.no/en/

and then to "Order a toll tag". This takes you to a list of providers. I am using - successfully, in the end - Fremtind, so will use them as an example. Using the link to Fremtind, go to "New Customer" and to "Log in to My page", then to "Sign in without bank ID" and follow this through. You will need to attach vehile ownership/ID document(s) detailing such things as fuel type, emissions and so on. My document does not show "emissions" but the figure they wanted, for this under-3.5t diesel motorhome was "99". A tag bearing a 200 NOK deposit - refundable, I understand (which is what, of course, "deposit" means), not paid in advance, will then be sent through the post. This entitles you to 20 percent discount on roads, bridges, tunnels (the overwhelming majority of which, I can say, according to our experience, 3,000 + km along the road) are free, and 10 percent discount on ferries.

2. If you'd like a higher discount on ferries, go to this page

https://autopassferje.no/?lang=en

and create an account. By paying in advance the required minimum amount of 3,000 NOK (unused balance refundable), one receives 50 percent discount on crossings that use the AutoPASS tag. For two of our crossings, each of about one hour and for our 5.65m (under 3.5t) vehicle, the full fare was 233 NOK, discounted to 116.50. A shorter crossing (15 minutes, for example) might cost (in our case) between 75 and 100 NOK (full fare before 50 percent discount). Altogether we've used 12 ferries and expect to use at least several more, so the saving is worthwhile. In order to create this account you'll need the tag number, which (in addition to being on the tag itself) is sent, once the tag has been despatched, to one's e-mail address. When creating an account, one can opt for e-mail notification of what's been charged for a particular crossing.

You might like to first look here

https://autopassferje.no/ferjesamband/?lang=en

where there are two lists of ferry connections, one for ferries that use AutoPASS tags as their "payment solution", the other (much shorter, only nine routes) for ferries that use theAutoPASS (physical, plastic) card. This card is optional, costs 50 NOK and would be sent by post. Looking here will help enable you to decide whether or not you want/need the card. While creating the account you need to say 'yes' or 'no'.

What for me was a complicating twist in this was that in order to get the 50 percent off on ferries, the tag does not need to be in the vehicle. (Ours is at home, to where it was sent while we are here in Norway.)

On that Fremtind page, above, there's a bit that asks "Are you at the border and have a tag you want to register?" but that possibility applies only to vehicles over 3.5t (I assume but cannot be sure that this includes motorhomes as well as commercial vehicles). I had picked up a tag at the port and was trying to register it but couldn't. At one point Fremtind chat was telling me to register there and I was saying that I seemed I couldn't. All in all I was getting, at times, wrong and conflicting information but eventually, on the phone, the service was really, really good; a particular person called me back three times as promised (I couldn't reach her personally from my end) finally talking me through the process of setting up the accountT. She had told me a couple of times there were things she wasn't sure about (rather than pretending she knew) but would find out and get back to me. This excellent level of kind and helpful service I also found, on at least three occasions, when phoning AutoPASSferje (ferry). After one call I received an explanatory e-mail, parts of which I'm copying in below, very slightly edited for clarity.

Hi :)

Refers to telephone call today 09.06.2022 regarding AutoPASS tag agreement and ferry agreement.

We will try to explain to you how the system works:

AutoPASS tag agreement, is mainly a toll agreement that works for tolls on the road, but you can also use the tag as a means of payment on some ferries, then you get a 10% discount.

Here you get an invoice from the tag issuer in arrears.

If you want more discounts on the ferry, you must have an AutoPASS Ferry Agreement, which is a supplementary agreement. This agreement only applies to ferries. Then you pay an advance of NOK 3,000, so when you travel by ferry, this agreement is charged to your 50% discount.

Some ferries take the tag as a means of payment while others take ferry cards. Therefore, the AutoPASS ferry has made it possible to link the tag to the ferry agreement.

Then both the chip and the ferry card eat into the advance in the agreement with a 50% discount on the ferry.

On the ferries, a picture of the license plate is taken and a valid agreement is sought. This is a corona measure that was launched in 2020 (
my emphasis).

Thus the image of the licence plate can link to the registered tag number, even though the tag is not physically present (my addition).

Before this you had to have the physical card or chip in the vehicle to be registered.

In that case, there must be the correct registration number registered in the agreement, linked to a toll tag that is registered on the vehicle at the tag sites (Fremtind Service- in your case) in order for the passages to be charged to the correct agreement.

Hope this was explained well enough to understand a little better.

If you contact Fremtind Service to be sent the chip number, you can call us in AutoPASS Ferry and we will have it registered in the agreement, then everything will be in order with your agreements for tolls on the road and the ferry.

Hope you have a nice holiday here in Norway :)

Kundebehandler
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, get your tag, if you want one, before you come to Norway and it should be plain sailing (no pun intended).

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Great help for those heading that way and working out the various options. I used European Parking Collections to pay the way in 2018. I also have a bill from Autopass Ferry for the 3000 NKr deposit which remains unpaid as we never went as intended two years later.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm still hoping to get back there ( for the 5th time) at some point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rabrantes

Free Member
Jun 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Citroen Jumper
I find myself in the same situation now: just arrived at Kristiansand and thought I could pick up the toll tag here. What are my options now? :( You said at the end you got one, which steps do you recommend?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Read popotla's original thread HERE, the opening post tells you a little about the customs desk helping him get the tag registered. But it seems you're in the same situation. Good luck, oh, and -
:WelcomeFlag:

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Actually, my motorhome is 3.5 t and thus I couldn't register the tag that I got from customs. If your vehicle is over 3.5 t, it can be registered here:

Why a 3.5t vehicle cannot be registered in the same way as one over 3.5t, I never found out. In the end, though, it doesn't matter; it can't be.

rabrantes, the following should work for you. Go to this Fremtind page

and then to Log into My Page.

Then to Sign in without Bank ID

At the bottom there it says "Don't have an account? Sign up now"

Create an account.

Fremtind will send a tag to your home address. Yes, this sounds weird. You're not there. But they will tell you by e-mail the tag number and that is what you need to sign up with AutoPassFerje (Ferries) and establish a prepaid account with them, if that's what you want to do. On a ferry your licence plate will be read and this will be matched to your tag number. For me, this is Working nicely. Using Fremtind also worked for me. They (Fremtind) will bill us, I understand, for any road/tunnel/bridge charges but I haven't yet been billed by them for anything.

Have a look again at my original post, above, and if you have more questions I'll try to answer them.

Foo Fighter

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Magic
Exp
3 years with T4 Hitop
We are currently exploring Finland before entering northern Norway in about a week's time. I've just learnt from another site that there's to be 39 ferry crossings mainly in "remote locations" where the tolls are to be removed as of the 1st of July. I also have a Fremtind a/c & a separate ferry pass a/c with 3000 nok loaded. I wonder how far my 3000 nok will take us on our route south before we need to top it up now.

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We are currently on our way back from touring Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Firstly can I say what a wonderful area to tour. Before we went I was reading various other threads on here and saw that there would be lots of toll charges and ferries when in Norway and a toll tag was recommended. One funster recommended Flytpass that is linked to the Autopass. We decided to use Flytpass and have had no regrets. After registering online (Flytpass website) about three weeks before we left the UK. We quickly received our tag. Their website and our account page is very user friendly. Whilst we we still away I saw we had received our first invoice that would have been due before we got home, not sure how to pay it so I contacted Flytpass they were super efficient and quickly got back to me with details of payment methods and extended the due date to after we were getting back to UK. Didn't need this in the end when I realised I could set up an international payment from my Fairfx currency card.
We went through numerous toll and used about 8 ferries, the tag covered them all. We decided not to sign up for the ferry option but we still got discount on the ferries (not as much) and discount on the tolls, the £20 cost of the tag has more than paid for itself.
One other thing I would add the roads in Norway are quite twisty and there are obviously waits for ferries (normally quite short) so projected mileages take longer than I first thought.

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
We are currently exploring Finland before entering northern Norway in about a week's time. I've just learnt from another site that there's to be 39 ferry crossings mainly in "remote locations" where the tolls are to be removed as of the 1st of July. I also have a Fremtind a/c & a separate ferry pass a/c with 3000 nok loaded. I wonder how far my 3000 nok will take us on our route south before we need to top it up now.
Evening, live down south in Kristiansand. We drove to Nordkapp last year and even though we have the standard road toll set up we purchased the ferry agreement. There should be a 40-50% saving on the ferry system. If you are going back down the west coast there are many ferry's and toll routes, you can add your funding via credit card or buy credit, as we have a bigger unit (10 meters) I had to put on NOK 11,000 for the ferry option, we did get 50% discount on all ferry crossings and the money was returned to my account about 10 days after I had informed them I was finished with the ferry pass.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We have arrived today in Kristiansand. We ended up with a bro biz account. Not used a toll yet, but will be doing tomorrow I guess. Not seen a British reg since we left England last Tuesday, lots of German, Dutch a few Swiss, 1 french and 1 Austrian my/pvc/ overlanders.

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
Sorry about the weather here, due too be great the next 2+ days if they can ever be correct.
We use Autopass and Flytpass as we live here. If you go onto the Autopass web page you should be able to put in a route and there will be a calculated for the tolls.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Yea been raining for last 3 hrs. But at least it's cool now unlike the last week, it was 2 hot. Still it's just like England, parked in a field, looking at trees and hills, in the rain.

These Big Adventures

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
sunliving A75
Exp
Newb
Thank you popotla for this really useful guide! with reference to the ferry pass can anyone tell me how i pay this 3000nok? there didn't seem to be an online payment option only a bank account to send funds to??

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
When are you looking at visiting, also which routes. There are a few companies in Norway they offer the toll tags and also in country ferry crossings, depending on your route looking at the one that gives you high discount on the ferries. I live here and get 50% discount\on most in country ferry use plus a high discount on the toll roads. Think you can link it to you bank or credit card but some may have changed policy since Jan 2023.

These Big Adventures

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
sunliving A75
Exp
Newb
When are you looking at visiting, also which routes. There are a few companies in Norway they offer the toll tags and also in country ferry crossings, depending on your route looking at the one that gives you high discount on the ferries. I live here and get 50% discount\on most in country ferry use plus a high discount on the toll roads. Think you can link it to you bank or credit card but some may have changed policy since Jan 2023.
We have 4-5 weeks in Norway starting at the end of may. We are getting the ferry to Kristiansand then we would like to go up to lofoten and then back down possibly via Sweden and across the bridge, still planning at the moment! I might have to ring my bank and see if they will send the money for the autopass ferry manually

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
Two years wife I did the north Cape from Kristiansand end of April, we live in Kristiansand so was a longish trek.
Our road toll and ferry pass is with https://flytpass.no/en is the link for English with prices and more.

To get to Lofoten from Kristiansand you will need one ferry depending on your route, and Flyt should offer you up to 50% discount. https://Colorline.no also can give discounts on motorhomes and you just have to go on and check when they come out, every trip last two years we have been offered a free return.
End of May there can be snow on a couple of the mountain passes and you will have to do two, law wise it says all vehicles over 3.5 tonne need chains, but Motorhomes are not required to carry them. In general roads are cleared quickly and we have a 10 meter 7,5 tonne and it was fine. I can send you the document I carry in our RV, just in case you are stopped by someone who does not read all the small notes.

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982
Check and print this out for your documents.

Tyres Chains Norway.png

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Have you looked at our vids from Norway last yr. I can send more info, our van is over 3..5 t and had a brobizz tag, linked to the ferries as well. We had to do a bank transfer for the ferries.

Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
This is a very useful thread, thank you all. We are heading to Norway and Sweden this June for our first trip to the north. Having ready the various posts can I ask if this sounds about right?

1. I have opened up a EPass 24 account to cover our motorway tolls in Sweden and Denmark, these will charge to our credit card account

2. I am proposing to oder an Autopass tag, ( without prepayment) to give me a discount on motorway tolls and some ferries in Norway. Going to do this via Frimtind and link it to autopass ferry ??

My only reservation is have I missed anything:

Do we need any emissions stickers like critair, I have the German sticker so thats covered.

Is there a risk of being double charged for motorways, ie I get a charge via EPass24 and the tag? or is that not going to happen.

Do we also need to consider a FerryCard to cover ferries that dont accept the auto pass? The list seemed to suggest there were not many of them.

I think thats it, it does seem very complex so the advice in this thread is gold. Thanks

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Hi we just ordered a bro bizz, have them our bank details, they sent us a bizz ( tag) to put in the window, then registered for the ferries, sent 3000 k to them and added the ferry pass number to our bro biz, do only had one tag.
You seem to be taking a more complicated way, but it will work. Will you get charged twice, may be as a lot of the ferries still take number plate registration. Check out our vids on you tube wend yer way.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We got a Fulli / Mango toll tag for France and Spain at the end of last year. However, neither of our two bank accounts allow international direct debits so I had to use my sister's bank account for it.

Do you know if I'll have the same problem with the Autopass toll tag and ferry pass? Is there any way to pay which doesn't require me to have a bank account where the toll tag company can take a direct debit?

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We did not last yr but this new system has now come into play so you may need to, however Norway are not EU members so may not have the new EU system. Santander and virgin have not yet signed up to it. I know Lloyds have as we had to use a relatives to do the same for France. Apparently starling bank, and revolt are signatures to this new eu system and can be used. As are NatWest.
If you are 3.5 or under you had the choice of being invoiced, we could not have that. The ferry pass we had to deposit 3000 kr up front to ensure we got the 50% discount. The toll was taken by DD every time we passed a beep.

Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
We did not last yr but this new system has now come into play so you may need to, however Norway are not EU members so may not have the new EU system. Santander and virgin have not yet signed up to it. I know Lloyds have as we had to use a relatives to do the same for France. Apparently starling bank, and revolt are signatures to this new eu system and can be used. As are NatWest.
If you are 3.5 or under you had the choice of being invoiced, we could not have that. The ferry pass we had to deposit 3000 kr up front to ensure we got the 50% discount. The toll was taken by DD every time we passed a beep.
We are heading to Norway in June and have been looking at the issue of tags v just registering with autopass and paying via our credit card. As we are unlikely to head north again a tag seemed alot of effort, but I have no idea of the amount of savings on offer. Out of interest how much do you think you saved? We are under 3.5t Many thanks

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
We are heading to Norway in June and have been looking at the issue of tags v just registering with autopass and paying via our credit card. As we are unlikely to head north again a tag seemed alot of effort, but I have no idea of the amount of savings on offer. Out of interest how much do you think you saved? We are under 3.5t Many thanks
I am now at the final planning stages of my trip to Norway in June. I don't know if you have been on this web page https://www.autopass.no/en/user/foreign-vehicles/ which gives you the three payment options. I have chosen option 1 as it seems to offer me the best option for my particular journey and will save me money. I will be travelling via Denmark and Sweden over the bridges (easiest with a dog) so have chosen ØresundPAY as my toll service provider. This allows me to set up the accounts for the bridges and gives a 50% reduction. My tag (they call it a Bizz) took just over two weeks to arrive.
The biggest challenge for me will be getting into Norway with my dog!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I haven't looked since our trip in 2018 but we used EPC for our payments, probably directed there by Brobizz. Payments were itemised and all went swimmingly through our registered credit card. On Norway with dogs, we crossed the border on the 61 north of Charlottenburg having had the dog sorted in Denmark in (at the time) the statutary 3 days. Nobody manning the border but we thought we ought to stop and at least check that all was okay. Wandered across to the customs building and showed the guy the paperwork to which he asked what's that and just said Oh, okay. As we were pulling away he came out and waved us down only to tell us our battery locker door was open!

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
on ferries ( we saved over £200) but we did go on several and went to the top, and bridges, you can get up to 50% discount, some of the bridges Oresund for example for us was £80 full rate for us it was worth, and had to get the tag/ bizz. Not sure you save a lot on the actual road tolls. Looked at camper vibe and there yt trip to Norway, they are going back later this yr and are getting it sorted before going as they say it will save them money.it is easier if you are under 3.5t.

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
I haven't looked since our trip in 2018 but we used EPC for our payments, probably directed there by Brobizz. Payments were itemised and all went swimmingly through our registered credit card. On Norway with dogs, we crossed the border on the 61 north of Charlottenburg having had the dog sorted in Denmark in (at the time) the statutary 3 days. Nobody manning the border but we thought we ought to stop and at least check that all was okay. Wandered across to the customs building and showed the guy the paperwork to which he asked what's that and just said Oh, okay. As we were pulling away he came out and waved us down only to tell us our battery locker door was open!
I think it is a little more difficult since January 2021. The advice from the Norwegian authorities is:

"
When dogs travel from third countries to the EU, veterinary border inspection must be done at the first point of entry in the EU/EEA. If your are travelling with a campervan, you will probably enter EU in the Netherlands, France, or Belgium. You need to contact customs or the border veterinarian where they enter EU to have the veterinary certificate completed (signed and stamped). The completion makes the certificate valid for travel within the EU/EEA for four months. The entry to Norway will be from an EU country, where customs control the dog’s ID and documents, and you can enter Norway at any border control post.

It may be difficult to have the certificate completed when entering the EU. I advise you to contact the border veterinarian or customs in advance to make an appointment.

"

They are right. Eurotunnel Pet Control will not give me an answer but others I have spoken too tell me that they don't or won't fill in the appropitiate section for onward travel.

Bottom of page 6 of the AHC.

1680633835585.png

The final comment from the Norwegian authority

"If you enter Norway without the AHC signed and stamped, your pet will be quarantined and sent to Oslo-airport for border control at the cost of the owner."

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
4.5 Ton MoHo, I chosen to ordered the tag from SKYTTELPASS one of the provider on AutoPass because they have an option to pay the tolls by Credit Card charge weekly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back