May 2022: trying to get an AutoPASS toll tag in Norway (1 Viewer)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
We arrived in Norway, at Kristiansand port, without a toll tag but wanted to get one. Having been told by Fremtind, one of the tag providers, that I could “pick up the tag at the Autopass office “ there and “have someone from Autopass help me register it on their computer”, I stopped at customs to say what I needed and ask where the office was. As far as I know there is no office but the extremely helpful woman gave me what I thought I needed: a box with a tag in it and instructions as to how to register. All I needed (I thought) was to get online and do it.

The fun started. To cut a long story short, for my vehicle (a motorhome under 3.5 tonnes) a toll tag cannot be registered in this way. The only link available on Autopss for vehicle registration is this,which is for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.

https://www.autopass.no/en/user/compulsory-tag/tag/register-at-border/

I have tried, through different providers, to register the tag but cannot. Prompt and helpful info has been provided online or by phone from tag providers and Norwegian customs, and that was nice but a series of dead ends. Instead, I’ve registered my vehicle and registered a payment account with E-Pass24. This should ensure that all billing is centralised and – important in my case, as I expect to be in Norway for perhaps ten weeks and away for longer – bills are available for viewing online. There are no discounts on toll roads, bridges or ferries.

The short answer is that if you want these discounts, get your planning in order and do it from home before you leave. Go to the Autopass site, contact a provider and order the tag, to be sent by post. Precisely why a tag for a vehicle less than 3.5 tonnes cannot be registered online, after getting it from customs, I don’t know, but there it is.

We met an English motorhomer with an Autopass card which gives discounts on ferries but that too would have to be sent to an address. I still don’t know where exactly one would get it; I met the guy back in Denmark and can’t remember what he told me. On the Autopass site, info about ferries is sparse, as far as I can see.

Our first ferry crossing was Lauvvik to Oanes, fare – 198 NK – collected onboard. With Autopass discount, this would have been 99 NK. Our second crossing, from Hjelmelandsvagen to Nesvik, used the number-plate recognition system. I don’t know the fare but it was probably more than 198. In any case – though not everyone might agree - the discounts, at least on the ferries, are worth having.

Now we look forward to more of Norway's wonders. Today enjoying a second day parked between a roaring waterfall and a fjord backed by snowy peaks. However did it take us so long to decide to come here?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Informative post thanks.
Norway is on my radar for next year, maybe.
Please let us know how you get on over there, and some photos appreciated 👍

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Must be sent to an address which is what you said in your original post I seem to remember. Just a shame the info you got from the operators was incorrect. AutoPASS ferry is a newish concept replacing the old Autopass system that had an add on that gave users a discount on ferries I believe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Like Figaro we plan to go next year probably leaving UK in May/June so would be very interested to hear of any useful tips you pick up

p720eb

Free Member
May 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
C Class
We met an English motorhomer with an Autopass card which gives discounts on ferries but that too would have to be sent to an address. I still don’t know where exactly one would get it; I met the guy back in Denmark and can’t remember what he told me. On the Autopass site, info about ferries is sparse, as far as I can see.

The start page for the Autopassferry account and card is here:

There is also a new scheme this year called FerryPay, on the same page.

tsrwright

Free Member
May 4, 2011
Sydney
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
6 years
Norway's FerryPay is for casual users, I think, but must be the simplest solution. AutoPass makes use of commercial toll and fare collectors who issue electronic tags, give a discount and collect the money from your bank account. We signed up online with the Danish Brobiz and received our tag by post in the UK.

So far, despite some initial uncertainties about the way it works, all seems ok. As we enter a ferry terminal an overhead sign displays our reg number and the discounted fare is charged. But I much preferred the ticket collector coming round on board to each vehicle.

tsrwright

Free Member
May 4, 2011
Sydney
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
6 years
Having again looked up the AutoPass site I have to say I do not know if AutoPass only uses third party collectors such as our Brobiz or also does its own collection if you want. Brobiz, and doubtless others, are all across Scandinavia which has obvious advantages..

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
I'm about to start a new thread about this.

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
(Figaro) Informative post thanks.
Norway is on my radar for next year, maybe.
Please let us know how you get on over there, and some photos appreciated

(Raingod) Like Figaro we plan to go next year probably leaving UK in May/June so would be very interested to hear of any useful tips you pick up

Figaro and Raingod, anything in particular you'd like to know about?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back