chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is the weather similar to the UK? Just wondering what's the best time of year to go?
Yeah the weather we have had is a bit of drawback and also the lack of a sunny sandy sea beach, but everything else is much like France only cheaper and friendlier

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally a bit warmer and dryer than the uk. Last September intended to spend a few days in Germany on the way to Croatia spent over two weeks there as temps were in the 30's.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Know what you mean, they don't have a word for vegetarians (or vegans) in the language.
Years ago I took a rookie driver with me on a week trip to Germany - he was vegetarian and the poor guy almost starved!
That certainly used to be the case, but it's all changed now. Aldi in Germany stocks a large range of both organic and vegetarian foods - as do other supermarkets. I can't say about restaurants, because we didn't eat out, this time, but I suspect that while Schnitzel in its various guises still predominates, vegetarian food has crept onto the menus of many restaurants.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Freiburg is lovely, 2 sites in the town and 2 on the outskirts, one with a water ski lake and one with a naturist area.. all real nice. We are there 7 or 8 times a year, all over the place, not found anywhere we didnt like, Koblenz is ok too, nice site next to the river in the town and one a bit further out, a good base to discover the Mosel area.

My experience in Germany means i avoid France at all costs now.

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
They have vegan sections in supermarkets, so vegan food is available in places like eddeca. Go on give it a try!!!!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
A few days ago in Dijon paid €8.60 for two coffees, ouch!

One of the reasons we dont really do France now.

Love the place, the people but eating out and with tolls just to expensive.

Came back though France this spring stupidly on a bank holiday weekend, struggled to buy fuel let alone eat out.

Cheapest joiurney through France we have ever done - just could not find anything open to spend money in.

Reactions: DBK

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Loads of gluten free stuff as well, we were amazed.

To shiw how things have changed, a few years ago I worked in Vienna. I worked with a vegetarian and she really struggled, now things have changed for the better.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We were there for a few weeks in the summer. It is surprisingly cheap- an ice cream scoop ( lovely flavours) for €1 even in the tourist areas (sometimes €1.20 then). Not bad for vegetarians -always pizza and turkish food (falafel yoghurt drinks etc). Weather was certainly better than the UK over the summer-we only had 2 days that were a washout. We particularly liked the swimming in the lakes, cycle routes to die for and the little old towns.

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
Hoped to have been in southern Germany at this time but change of circumstances now sees the trip early next year. Delighted at the Gluten Free posting as the OH's a 'Celiac' and not gluten free by choice will make the journey much more enjoyable.
Jim

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
They have vegan sections in supermarkets, so vegan food is available in places like eddeca. Go on give it a try!!!!

Edeka is awesome, if you shop in Aldi or Lidl while you are in Germany you are doing the country a disservice.

Rewe is ok as well, they have decent hot deli counters where you can buy full dinners in some of them, the one next to our workshop in Obersteden was awesome, and it was only small.

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
@Oscar Thats a Cocker Spaniel in my avatar with Springer Spaniel behind her. Both 12 years old and love them to bits.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Gorgeous dogs! We've a black working cocker 8 years old, loves motorhoming!

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
The Cocker in Avatar is the 2008 USA National Field Trial Champion worked by my eldest son out of Houston Texas. Retired here to the UK for Mum & Dad to care for and go Motorhoming. Lol.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Edeka is awesome, if you shop in Aldi or Lidl while you are in Germany you are doing the country a disservice.

Rewe is ok as well, they have decent hot deli counters where you can buy full dinners in some of them, the one next to our workshop in Obersteden was awesome, and it was only small.
I'll second that & as @PhilG said even the smaller ones are brilliant.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Hoped to have been in southern Germany at this time but change of circumstances now sees the trip early next year. Delighted at the Gluten Free posting as the OH's a 'Celiac' and not gluten free by choice will make the journey much more enjoyable.
Jim

We're hooked! Thinking about a trip in Spring :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
One of the charms for me is the lack of 'chain' places. If you want to eat, most places seem to be owner run, certainly in the places we frequent, you wont find a Hungry Horse or a Brewers Fayre type place , which is a big plus to me , we ate in a Croation Place in Bitburg and it was outstanding, a great meal and very friendly staff, and you knew the owner was there somewhere... but you have to be 'open minded' about where you go, if you want 'two for a Tenner and a free pint ' style of eatery, you will be looking a long while.

In Kerpen a few weeks ago, we stopped for a bite to eat outside a bar , lovely sunny day, and the owner was a dutch guy , with a Millwall FC tattoo, that he had for when he lived in London... Best rack of ribs I ever had, 12 Euro.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We stopped at a Czech restaurant in Baden Baden, the speciality was duck which we enjoyed, but they also did a dish of donkey's jaw, thank God for Google translate ! :eek:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We're hooked! Thinking about a trip in Spring :)

We were in Baden Wuerttemberg last April, down near Lake Constance. What a beautiful time of year to visit. We had lovely weather and the blossom on the trees had to be seen to be believed.

Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Dromara, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Oscar, we are just finishing our third week in Germany and have ten days still to go . Whilst we don't have a dog, we have seen Germans take them on the buses, into the pub and restaurants to have a meal and everywhere else with them. This is probably the most dog friendly country I have seen. Most of the German motorhomers travel with dogs as well!

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
We are in Germany now we love it apart from the weather but it always gets better just been to the zeppelin museum today

I was at Uberlingen a week today I went on a boat trip and see the Zepplins a quick google was done and I was looking forward to visiting the Museum was it good ? Unfortunately I had to suddenly return home later that day I started my my trip at the Caravan Saloon Dusseldorf which was amazing and great value. We then visited Koln was ok nowt special then Koblenz which I enjoyed very much. We then drove to Bingen stopping of at Boppard for a walk around on route Bingen had there wine festival on which was good. We also used Bingen to visit Rüdeshiem we cycled using the ferry visited the Asbach place did the cable car etc.

We then drove on to Uberlingen Nice brand new stellplatz there 10 euro with free bus travel reason we missed out some of the Rhine was weather was so bad we used it as a driving day hoping weather would improve as we got further south it did about 28 hours later. Just right for a nice fast drive through the night home I will return again next year maybe picking up bottom of Rhine onto Lake Constance and down to Jeselo for some beach time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back