general advice (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation


Deleted User
Hi Everyone,

We are looking to get into motorhoming maybe fulltime in the next couple of years. Going to hire a motorhome for a few holidays to start with and see how we go but really excited about the option of fulltiming. I would be most grateful if anyone could offer some advice on the following points.

1. What driving license requirements are there on different size motorhomes. I have seen some for sale which can be driven on a car license if license was issued before 1998.

2. Any areas of the UK to start out in to see how we go

3. Is a TV license required

Thats it for now, sure there will be more later

Dan & Shaz:Eeek:


Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Since 2005
hi Dan and Shaz,

welcome to the FUN.

driving licences.........

if you passed your car test BEFORE 1997 you can drive up to 7.5 tonne + a small trailer upto 750kg or a combination of the two upto 8.25 tonne with limitations on weights. this is known as 'Grandfather rights'

if you passed your car test AFTER 1997 then you are restricted to 3.5 tonne and to tow a trailer you will need to take an additional trailer test.
you can drive a van over 3.5 tonne if you take an additional test (LGV)

most euro motorhomes are 3.5 tonne or under.
some are over this weight (mine is 3.85 tonne, some are up to 5t)

the big american RV's are mostly over 7.5t (but not all) and you must have a Large Goods Vehicle licence regardless of when you took your test.

hope this helps explain without too much confusion.

the really confusing bit is, an american RV over 7.5t is more like a bus/coach than a truck and a lot are built on coach chassis but you must have a truck licence to drive one even though you carry people and not goods.:Doh:

dont know if its legally required (probably not) but no-one bothers with a tv licence in the motorhome provided you have one for your house.


ps. forgot to mention.....if you have a pre-97 licence you will be downgraded to 3.5t on your 70th birthday unless you undertake an extended medical exam.
Last edited:
Upvote 0


Deleted User
Hi John

Thanks for the info, is something that we will obviously need to consider should we go fulltime at a later date.

Upvote 0


Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
40 +
Hi Dan & Shaz

First and foremost - take off the rose-tinted spectacles - full-timing is a way of life and most definitely NOT suited to everybody or their pocketbooks.

Now having said that - you are most definitely going about it the correct way - suck it and see before you spend big bucks on a big beastie.

Do not believe everything you are told about driving a motorhome on a car licence - especially if you want to full-time in it.

Generally you will need a bigger payload than the car-licence motorhome will allow, especially if you are going to tow a car behind you - and I would suggest that the greater majority of us do tow a car.

There are many people who full time in a 'small' European motorhome - there are many who need the triple or quad slide American Motorhome - it really is up to you to decide what size you are happy and content with - but in general - the bigger the better and more suitable.

The only answer for you is to start touring the big shows and visit as many dealers as you can - you will get bored with it, in fact you will get sick and tired of it BUT it is the only way until you suddenly find the one which says WOW - this is the one for me!

There is no area in any Country which is better than any other when you want to start - other than you really want to join the MHF'ers and go to their rallies where you will trip over experts by the score.

Yes you will need a TV licence. many people tell you that they don't bother - but you will need a licence if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

Come down to Cornwall with a bottle of red wine and we will show you what it is all about but don't expect it to take less than several bottles at least.
Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No

If you hire one, you dont need a TV licence, we include it as its part of the package!:thumb:


Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0


Deleted User
Mo & Dick

Thanks for the advice, we will be going to some shows later on this year there is one in Peterborough which is near to us so will go along and see what's what.

We are going to be hiring a motorhome in Sep/Oct of this year and will be heading to Devon and Cornwall, so the bottle(s) of red wine may well appear.

We are really on the discussion stage of all this at the moment and have lots of things to consider and save up for before we even think about doing it fulltime. Main reason is to travel the UK whilst working, so will be taking long(ish) stops in places.

I assume from your reply you guys are fulltiming now?

thanks again

Dan & Shaz:Eeek:

Peter - will have a look at the website shortly
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread