Gearbox oil additives/friction modifiers (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have an x250, the gearbox was replaced with a recon unit 2 years ago.
Generally it's ok but sometimes the upshift from 3rd to 4th is crunchy, indicating weak synchromesh.
Downchanges into 4th perplexingly are ok.
I assume the oil level is ok but have not checked it yet.

I know , if I understand correctly that synchromesh on 4th and 5th is weak on these gearboxes anyway.

I am an ex automotive transmissions engineer so I know how synchromesh works.

My question is have any Funsters had similar issues and have used an oil additives or modifier. Did it improve things and which one and what dose did you use?

TIA

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There appears to be no reason why Oil Treatment additives cannot be used, But some are formulated allegedly just to be used with low viscosity synthetic lubricants. So I guess it`s read the label?.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Modern gearboxes should not need any additives if designed and built properly. I have driven large vehicles with crash gearboxes filled with normal gearbox oil. The only reason for problems with gear changes were down to bad drivers rushing the changes.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Molybdenum disulphide is added to lubricants operating under extreme pressure. In the automotive world it's found in CV joints. It's a expensive substance therefore only used when essential. I have never seen wear where it has been added. In the case of some Fiat / Peugeot van gearboxes with the after-thought fifth gear arrangement it could possibly be useful insurance against lubrication failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Modern gearboxes should not need any additives if designed and built properly. I have driven large vehicles with crash gearboxes filled with normal gearbox oil. The only reason for problems with gear changes were down to bad drivers rushing the changes.

You may be correct but remembering I have a recon gearbox, there are some things to consider.

When a gear is selected the synchro sleeve slides on the hub with its tooth form engaging the teeth on the synchro ring. The cone on the ring then acts like a little clutch matching the speed of the bits concerned.
Once done this allows the sleeve to continue to slide and engage the new gear.
However, there is a slot in the system that allows the ring to turn momentarily as the clutch action takes place.
Synchronization is a function of the inertia involved, the lubricant, cone angle, cone surface and also the speed you shift at.

Most gearboxes will have a gap between the ring and the gear allowing a measure of the wear limit on the system.

I can be things like this a rebuild does not always get right.

As you can see from the description above an additive modified cone friction, thus changing one of the system variables.

Hence my interest in the experience of others.
Thank you once again.

Many gearboxes these days have double or triple cones on 1st and 2nd.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Interesting observation regarding European engineering, who would consider Spain as the epitome of Quality engineering,
Licences for Hispano-Suiza patents were much in demand from prestige car manufacturers world-wide. Rolls-Royce used a number of Hispano-Suiza patents. For instance, for many years Rolls Royce installed Hispano-Suiza designed power brakes in its vehicles.

IslandApe

Free Member
Jun 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Net yet!
Exp
Next year I hope
Interesting observation regarding European engineering, who would consider Spain as the epitome of Quality engineering,
Licences for Hispano-Suiza patents were much in demand from prestige car manufacturers world-wide. Rolls-Royce used a number of Hispano-Suiza patents. For instance, for many years Rolls Royce installed Hispano-Suiza designed power brakes in its vehicles.

To be fair, that organisation's founding partnership was half Swiss , hence the name. After the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War they collectivised their factories which was the end of a proud engineering concern.

As usual, nationalisation buggers it up except for bureaucrats...

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Has anybody found an additive that specifically improved the synchromesh performance, rather than reducing friction?
My 4th gear only crunches slightly when the oil is hot and also only on upchanges. This is interesting as usually syncros are less able to perform on downchanges.

So something that perhaps makes the oil more visous at high temperatures might work?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Has anybody found an additive that specifically improved the synchromesh performance, rather than reducing friction?
My 4th gear only crunches slightly when the oil is hot and also only on upchanges. This is interesting as usually syncros are less able to perform on downchanges.

So something that perhaps makes the oil more visous at high temperatures might work?

Change your gearbox oil for a different viscosity, maybe a 75W- 110 or a 75W-140 rather than the 75W-90

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Change your gearbox oil for a different viscosity, maybe a 75W- 110 or a 75W-140 rather than the 75W-90

Has anybody done this and had a good outcome?

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks both.
I am just using the logic that a cold more viscous oil at start up seems to be ok for the gearchange.
The thicker oil , i assume, changes the timing element of the change as in my description above.
If I change into 4th slowly and at modest revs(relatively) it's ok.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
i remember when the likes of moly first came out there was a lot of chatter about wether or not it was going to reduce the small amount of friction necessary for the syncros to work properly?.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
i remember when the likes of moly first came out there was a lot of chatter about wether or not it was going to reduce the small amount of friction necessary for the syncros to work properly?.
Yes, Iā€™ve wondered the same.
Moly might make the synchros worse.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Synchro failures were at their worst when the norm was to use SAE 80+ gear oils. By comparison modern gear oils are like water. I have used Molyslip in every gearbox I've ever had including auto and o/d boxes and in PAS. It invariably results in an improvement in "feel" and a smoother unit.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have looked on the top of my gearbox, it has the black plastic breather which I propose to use to check the oil level in the gearbox.
Although I know you are supposed to put the correct quantity of oil in and leave it for life.

Can anybody advise if the oil level is dippable via the breather and if so about at what level a temporary dipstick through the hole would show?
TIA

Curiously , it has changed into 4th fine for the last few trips , although I am taking the change up very easy. Makes me wonder about debris in the box (it is a recon after all)

Steviechi

Free Member
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Exp
2 years
After 130k miles and a crunchy gearbox into 2nd and 3rd, I replaced transmission fluid with Red-Line.
Put in the required qty and gearchange is smooth now.

Steviechi

Free Member
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ducato
Exp
2 years
I have looked on the top of my gearbox, it has the black plastic breather which I propose to use to check the oil level in the gearbox.
Although I know you are supposed to put the correct quantity of oil in and leave it for life.

Can anybody advise if the oil level is dippable via the breather and if so about at what level a temporary dipstick through the hole would show?
TIA

Curiously , it has changed into 4th fine for the last few trips , although I am taking the change up very easy. Makes me wonder about debris in the box (it is a recon after all)

Jake - no it's put in the correct quantity and leave for 100k miles

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
RED Line Synthetic , and no other additives . I have fitted gearboxes in Australia , and also seen test results of usage in Road trains , its not cheap tho !

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I think the OP,s point is he knows that the gearbox has design faults hence wanting to reduce issues with additives

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back