Gear box oil change (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
We have a 2004 Fiat ducato base Arto and need to change the gearbox oil, manual, but need to know where the drain point and filling point are. Would be grateful for any advice. TIA

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've looked into this, with our 2004 Inca (2.2 HDI) , as far as I can find changing the gearbox oil isn't a servicable item.

However, some have changed it, but to refil it appears to be by removing the reverse light switch, almost inaccessable on the top of the gearbox.

There is also conflicting information about which plug to remove. In the end I haven't bothered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I can’t help you directly,other than to say that there are numerous threads on here about Fiat gearboxes of various ages/models and their gearbox quirks. Some have 5th gear problems caused by the gear being too high up in the box to get enough lubrication.

I have a 56 plate Fiat with the 2.8 jtd engine,which doesn’t have known problems. But I am a belt and braces man so I asked garage to replace or top up gearbox oil as appropriate. Fiat say that the gearbox oil is sealed in for life,however my man managed to replace oil,and I will get him to check it and replace if necessary regularly. I also never go into fifth until she’s warmed up and never labour the engine. Going in fifth at low revs causes “chattering” which contributes to wearing on the gears.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Working from memory - drain plug near the back 1/2" socket bar fits to drain, but before you do that check where a blanking plate is and can you get to it. The one I did was half way up and you fill till it spills. Now the hard part to get at this one, which may not be the same as yours, the cab battery and battery box had to come out then it was dead easy. This was with the MH on the ground may have been able to reach if it was up on a ramp from underneath?

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I believe the best way to refill the gearbox, once drained, is to add the specified amount of oil. No more and no less.

Geoff

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Make sure you can get at the full point before you remove the drain plug. Nothing worse than draining all the oil, only to find you can't refill it !

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Manual gearbox from Mk 1 Cortina to 3 year old Toyota fill till it spills is the norm. Auto box yes correct measure amount, with a dip stick to confirm if you are lucky.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Manual gearbox from Mk 1 Cortina to 3 year old Toyota fill till it spills is the norm. Auto box yes correct measure amount, with a dip stick to confirm if you are lucky.
That is good for boxes that have a level plug. I have never come across a Boxer Ducato with one, so the need to add just the correct amount of oil/

Geoff

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
changed it on my 2003 2.8jtd bessacar, drain at back if i recall , filled through breather on the top,the cap just pulls off,took top off air cleaner for better access added around 2 litres i think whatever it said on autodata also put in a tube of molyslip

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I thought we were beyond gearbox oil changes these days. From my days of running Landrovers that required both axles, gearbox, transfer box and engine oil checking regularly and topping up mainly due to leaks a motorhome that needs the engine oil checking occasionally is a vast improvement.
Over the meany years driving Transits the biggest problem with gearbox oil was the four speed box with overdrive on third and forth. If the oil level dropped you could loose drive when you put it in reverse. If you waited it would sort its self out when the oil level settled.
Good luck with the oil changes.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Two types of box fitted, drain plug is at the rear quite difficult to locate, no level plug fitted fill to specify capacity plus 5%.
The oil used is quite specific, GL4 if not available GL4/5. Never use GL 5 only. Another point worthy big note is never select fifth gear inside 3km from standing. This gearbox was modified by Fiat from a 4 seed unit, the fifth speed gears are only splash lubricated.
Otherwise good units with little trouble when used as a courier van, driven like you had just stollen it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back