Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years of MHing. Many more Camping
The new van has a pair of 11Kg refillable cylinders. Each of these cylinders has an valve to turn the cylinder off. Do we open both valves and run the two bottles at the same time, or do we run one bottle at a time.
Part of me wants to run both bottles as we would regularly top up as we check the level before each trip away (Our older van has just one refillable cylinder).
Is it OK to run both together or do we have to run one at a time?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bear in mind though that as mentioned already the gauges are terrible so when the gauge on one of them goes to empty you've probably got at least 5 litres still in ... probably a lot more ... that's our experience anyway!

Open one and keep the other closed, when you think you're getting low turn the second one on and the first one off, then look to fill up. If you have both on all the time you could end up with both showing 'empty' even though there's some still in but you'll then worry as you won't easily be able to guesstimate how much and won't have a guaranteed 'back-up' bottle.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would strongly suggest you run on one of the bottles and when/if it runs out you change over to the full one.

Then top up at the first opportunity.

There is no advantage at all in running on gas from both bottles at the same time and, if you do, you have the possibility of running out altogether.

JJ :cool:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
One on, one off means you'll not run out without knowing how little gas you have left.

Even with 42 litres of gas, when both full, a long winter trip will deplete them quite quickly - think freezing weather and long nights - and running out is not a good idea in those circumstances.

With both open there's always the possibility of being caught short - gas, that is!

Pilote Gaslow Double.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We used to have an autochangeover and kept both bottles on. When the autochangeover was showing red I would refill. Never ran out of gas in the time we had the system.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Auto change over but as said before when one runs out in winter you still probably have a week or two to refill better than having nothing

Joe

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I run one bottle then change to the other when that's empty. In Portugal in winter I usually get 14 days out of a 11kg gaslow bottle

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have an auto change device but after running out of gas once, I no longer use it.

I have less exciting things to do than opening my gas bottle cupboard to check gauges all the time.

Lettuces need careful attention... ;)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This doesn't sound like a long time, is that the same in others experience ?

Yep... more or less the same for me... gas fridge on all the time... gas water heating and cooking and, the gas guzzler, gas heating in the evenings occasionally.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
We keep one closed, then we know that we have plenty to spare, when the first gets low, fill up and use the other one. (Alternating their use regularly)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have two 14Kg Alugas and as others have said can use with both turned on but normally keep one full and turned off until the first one expires. Have got a digital read out on the dashboard but it's useless.

Our system fitted at Thirsk by Autogas 2000 .......

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have an auto changeover and I keep both bottles on.

It's no great hardship to open the locker and check it once or twice a week. When it's changed over it's time to start keeping an eye open for somewhere to top up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
... probably due to firing up the heater for the sauna all the time! :D

It was Feb and I was watching ice flowing down the Dee. Heating 24/7 or die. It was a bit exciting driving too, 3.5T of FWD on ice is like that. I did enjoy it though, especially being paid for it. That was when I discovered Grantown on Spey. And it's story, apparently "they" wanted it to be the Scottish winter ski resort but the Grants, the Lairds would not have it so Aviemore was created.

I've had many good times in Scotland, usually on business, whenever I took 'er indoors the weather closed in and she never believed just how good it could be.

OP
OP
Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years of MHing. Many more Camping
It's no great hardship to open the locker and check it once or twice a week.

Our older van only has the one cylinder. We know how much gas we use on average, but we check the level before each outing. This is why I'm never worried about running out. We've only run out once and that was because I forgot to fill up en route to a steam rally. It wasn't until we pulled onto the rally field did I get the D'oh moment! We ran out on the Sunday morning! 10 mile drive to find gas early in the morning!

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Bear in mind though that as mentioned already the gauges are terrible so when the gauge on one of them goes to empty you've probably got at least 5 litres still in ... probably a lot more ... that's our experience anyway!

Open one and keep the other closed, when you think you're getting low turn the second one on and the first one off, then look to fill up. If you have both on all the time you could end up with both showing 'empty' even though there's some still in but you'll then worry as you won't easily be able to guesstimate how much and won't have a guaranteed 'back-up' bottle.
Our gauges useless too, but opposite problem to others.

Ours Claims both bottles still full after days of wilding in cold weather. We know theyre not full by how much we fill at pump....(n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our gauges useless too, but opposite problem to others.

Ours Claims both bottles still full after days of wilding in cold weather. We know theyre not full by how much we fill at pump....(n)
You need to remember that the gauges usually 'tell lies' and show as full until you get to around 50% left, then they suddenly drop! :rolleyes:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Both bottles on and we rely on the auto change. I just do an occasional check to see if there has been a change over. Then find a filling point.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You need to remember that the gauges usually 'tell lies' and show as full until you get to around 50% left, then they suddenly drop! :rolleyes:

Yes, ours does that :)

How long they last depends on the time of year, type of heating system and if you are on sites using electric rather than gas :)

6 weeks in Eire with a mix of wild, BritStops and sites and we topped up twice - probably used 18kg in total.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This doesn't sound like a long time, is that the same in others experience ?
only get 20-25 days in summer out of 14kg. red light inside the van comes on when ours changes over. 8 weeks in Spain & Portugal last winter used about 70 L (approx 35kg).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have had Stako bottles and now Alugas both types gauges very accurate, just need to make sure you buy the bottles with float gauges if you want accuracy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We work on using 1 litre of gas a day on average - in summer we use less and in winter a bit more. Note that we don't 'do' sites, but use aires or wild camp so are always using gas for all our cooking, heating and refrigeration needs when 'static'.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Both on with auto change over v/v. I have to switch off when returning to storage, so good opportunity to check when I set off and switch back on. One Gaslow and one calor. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back