Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
hi
Was looking at fitting a gaslow system in the van as I plan to travel abroad in time
Just wondered how many people have this and what's their experience with this or other systems ? Advice on where to go for best price would be a bonus too
Thanks
Paul

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
All systems are brilliant. Autogas, Gaslow (other refillable cylinders available) are absolutely ideal. We were away for 6 weeks recently and refilled in Italy. We've previously used places in France, Luxembourg and Germany and just use appropriate adapter and hey presto, it's done. It's the convenience that does it for us although over years they will pay for themselves if you tour a lot. If, with Calor cylinders, you run out abroad, you'll have to buy cylinders and appropriate valve and fit it then when you're back home, it's useless unless you are returning and want an exchange.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There are items for sale on here to fit the system.

Just need a bit of pipe work and hey presto bargain price (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have Alugas they also do 14kg cylinders which we have. Lighter than Gaslow or Stako bottles. It's not just the convienance of being able to get gas in any country but also no lugging heavy cylinders about and putting your back out.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
They are both quite expensive but in our mind worth it as you cannot 'legally' refill or buy calor over there.
Just fill as and when needed like fuel for the van.
Lots of garages now have Autogas as it's called there and lots of places are now called it here as well.
Around 70c a litre. around £24 a 6 kilo calor exchange here now.

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
I have gas-it in mine, recently had an 11kg bottle fitted with external filler for £230 by a company in Bristol (called getgas.co.uk).

Absolutely no complaints so far - haven't filled up outside the UK so far, but don't foresee any problems.

A big advantage you're probably already aware of is not having to wait til the bottle is empty before getting a refill. You can top up whenever you happen to go to a petrol station that has it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you can afford the premium, I'd go for Alugas bottles to save weight. One day payload may matter.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Budget to suit your pocket. They're all similar. I wanted Gaslow but some are lighter but I wanted the (at the time) market leader.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you go for a second-hand set make sure you check the 'expiry' date on the bottles/pipes - the older Gaslow bottles had a 15 year 'life span' between checks whereas the newer R67 ones are only 10 years. It doesn't mean you have to dump them and buy new, but just get them checked/exchanged (for a fee of course) although it's not 'compulsory' but it is recommended at that point for safety - as the first lot of refillable bottles on the market will be coming 'of age' for their first checks hopefully someone will be able to advise what this entails and the cost.

As for buying new, unless weight is a major factor, I'd go for the standard steel bottles which are quite a bit cheaper and work just as well, Gas-it ones tend to be the least expensive and you can get the pipes/fittings from other manufacturers as they all work off the same thread etc as prices do vary a LOT ... for example the bottles may be cheaper from one company but the pipes from another. I bought some stuff from a company called 'Gas Products' which was cheaper than the sellers most people commonly use, so don't just rely on one seller to get all that you need but have a good shuftie round the web first. Oh, if you want to buy the whole lot from one place see if they will do a deal to match the price you can buy it all from separately.

Now to fitting ... some people have no DIY skills at all and some don't want to 'attack' their pride and joy so wouldn't consider fitting themselves, but it's easy to do so I'd say do it yourself if you can.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I opted for 1 x 14kg Alugas. More gas and about the same weight as the 2 x Calor Lite that it replaced. Needs a tall gas locker. Opted for smaller Euro filler, neat and involves smaller hole in side of mh.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I opted for 1 x 14kg Alugas. More gas and about the same weight as the 2 x Calor Lite that it replaced. Needs a tall gas locker. Opted for smaller Euro filler, neat and involves smaller hole in side of mh.
We currently run 2 calor lite bottles, but given the associated debacle with these being withdrawn, I quite like the idea of your setup. I think our locker is reasonably tall, do you happen to know the approximate height of the 14kg Alugas without the shroud?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For those thinking of going for the 14kg bottles do bear in mind that they may not fit into the locker of a future MH ...

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think our locker is reasonably tall, do you happen to know the approximate height of the 14kg Alugas without the shroud?
I can't remember the exact height with the shroud off and not in a position to measure it because we keep the mh on a storage site away from home. However, I did write down I needed headroom of 700 after a conversation with Chris Wise at Autogas2000. This is exactly what I have and it did just fit after removing the shroud. He also said you should have the regulator above the bottle. This is very tight in my setup, I also read that it is best to have a fall in the high pressure hose so that any residue that condenses in the pipe runs back to the bottle and not into the regulator. Because of this I have added a Truma gas filter to the regulator, I am not relying on the filter element so much as the body of the filter which forms a moisture trap between pipe and rgulator. Hope this helps but feel free to ask again if you need more.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I can't remember the exact height with the shroud off and not in a position to measure it because we keep the mh on a storage site away from home. However, I did write down I needed headroom of 700 after a conversation with Chris Wise at Autogas2000. This is exactly what I have and it did just fit after removing the shroud. He also said you should have the regulator above the bottle. This is very tight in my setup, I also read that it is best to have a fall in the high pressure hose so that any residue that condenses in the pipe runs back to the bottle and not into the regulator. Because of this I have added a Truma gas filter to the regulator, I am not relying on the filter element so much as the body of the filter which forms a moisture trap between pipe and rgulator. Hope this helps but feel free to ask again if you need more.
Thanks for the info @Pausim, I'll have to get the tape measure out to see if the 14kg is a viable option or not.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I fitted a Gasit 11kg kit into cupboard with filler in side skirt cost 175 with adadtor for standard bottle if needed very pleased with it,I did it just before it went in for service and hab check
it was tested then,I did test when it was fitted with gas leak spray ( i used to fit gas systems on fork lifts as a engineer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd opt for an internal filler, on a bracket, rather than cut a hole through the side of the m/h. Easier to fit and transfer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'd opt for an internal filler, on a bracket, rather than cut a hole through the side of the m/h. Easier to fit and transfer.
True but then you might have problems being allowed to fill it .. much easier to put the filler in the external wall somewhere, not only will it be better for filling but also end up cheaper too as you don't need to by the bracket! (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
True but then you might have problems being allowed to fill it .. much easier to put the filler in the external wall somewhere, not only will it be better for filling but also end up cheaper too as you don't need to by the bracket! (y)
Tbf, I've seen some have problems at filling up with internal filler but I've used English, French, Luxembourg, Italy and Switzerland and never had a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back