Free Member
Jun 11, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
Recently started using moho again after death of husband. He managed everything technical. I have the 2 cylinder Gaslo system with guages to say full etc on each tank. Plus a whirly looking red and green thing in the middle. I went yesterday to fill the bottles for the first time (scarey!!)
It went OK but only filled one of the bottles.
What did I do wrong please? I had the yellow switch to the moho switched off and both cylinders switched off.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I imagine both cylinders would need to be switched on in order to fill them, my two are on permanently and they both fill.

Sad to hear of your loss, at the same time great to hear you will continue with the motor home. There are a lot in your situation in this club.

Welcome to the best motorhome club in the world..:welcomesign:

Griff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
Nothing, both cylinders should fill automatically, may be just the inaccuracy of the gauges giving a false reading they are probably both full if you waited for the pump to cut off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On the face of it I would say you have done it all OK,

You turned the bottles off to fill(y)

The red/green whirly thing is the changeover valve and may or may not be automatic.

You say that you have only filled one bottle, have you opened both bottle valves as the gauge works with the bottle open I believe.

Martin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have no idea Hilary but Welcome to fun and good on you getting out and about on your own. Sorry to hear about your loss.

There are a lot of solo motorhomes on here and in fact there are a bunch of women all coming up to The Falkirk Wheel rally at the end of the month. Several rallies happening in Scotland over the following weeks. Check out the rally calendar. Subscribers only.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I imagine both cylinders would need to be switched on in order to fill them, my two are on permanently and they both fill.

Sad to hear of your loss, at the same time great to hear you will continue with the motor home. There are a lot in your situation in this club.

Welcome to the best motorhome club in the world..:welcomesign:

Griff
Turn them off Griff, the argument I heard was that the filling pressure could be too high for the regulators. Makes sense.

Martin

OP
OP
Hilary.B

Hilary.B

Free Member
Jun 11, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
Yes I waited for the pump to click off. The guage on one says full and the other still says empty. I can't remember how much I put in but it cost me £34 pounds.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Hilary.B do you know how much you put in and what size you bottles are, for example if they a re 11kg bottles and are empty you would expect to put in about 45litres of gas, yes the bottles are kg and the pump is in litres, just to make it easy for you:LOL:

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I waited for the pump to click off. The guage on one says full and the other still says empty. I can't remember how much I put in but it cost me £34 pounds.
I would say you are full and have the large 11kg bottles and you paid about 65 or 68 pence per litre.

Martin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would think at £34 they will both be fill. We have 2x 6kg and £14 or so fills ours.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
They are almost certainly full.

Bottle valves open or shut doesn't seem to matter when filling and manual or automatic changeover valves both operate the same way when being filled.

The gauges are a pain in the arse and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

If they work at all it may be that after a few hours, or days, they will both show full - hitting them with a hammer (soft or otherwise) is a temptation but should be resisted.

My 11kg Gaslow bottle hold just over 21 litres of gas each, total 42 litres, and what you've paid equates to both of yours being full.

Pilote Gaslow Double.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You probably paid 75p per litre which is the top price ,but sounds as if both bottles are full. Best to switch off both bottles when u fill to save any excess pressure on the regulator.i would switch off the tank you thought was full and use the one you think is empty. The gauge may be stuck after not being used for some time. I wouldn't worry about it, just use it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As above. On our current trip despite knowing both bottles were full, one was "showing" partly empty. When I started to use it, it went to full.

Gaslow advise you turn bottles off when refilling but it doesn't seem to make any difference, I usually leave mine on. But it is important to stop trying to fill when the pump slows right down, it's the bottle 80% limiter cutting in.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
But it is important to stop trying to fill when the pump slows right down, it's the bottle 80% limiter cutting in.

I never do that, and I've never seen anyone else do it either.

The bottle's limiter limits the filling to 80%. It does it on its own, automatically. You can leave the pump going until it stops.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You should always turn off the bottles when filling simply because there is a chance, albeit slim, that liquid gas could get up into the regulator and it would then be stuffed, so just turn them off when filling to avoid this issue.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Gaslow advise you turn bottles off when refilling but it doesn't seem to make any difference, I usually leave mine on. But it is important to stop trying to fill when the pump slows right down, it's the bottle 80% limiter cutting in.
Truma bulkhead regulators have a max inlet pressure of 230psi, pump filling pressure is around 140psi, don't know what the limits are on other types of regulator. IMO not worth the risk of filling with the the bottles on at £130 for a new regulator.

OP
OP
Hilary.B

Hilary.B

Free Member
Jun 11, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
Thank you everyone. Yes they are the very large gaslo cylinders. what is the whirly thing between the cylinders please and what do I do with it?

OP
OP
Hilary.B

Hilary.B

Free Member
Jun 11, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
Yes, I think that is what it is. it is circular with red and green sections. the back of it rotates to left and right but `i don't know what to do with it.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Its in all probability an auto changeover valve, you don't need to touch it it will change from an empty bottle to a full one on its own.

If you want to check whether it is an auto or a manual one just turn it anti clockwise for example then open one bottle, then close that one and open the other it should then change from red to green or visa versa. If it doesn't then its a manual one and you will have to change bottles yourself, just turn the knob in the center of the valve. As far as the gauges go mine often still shows one bottle as empty when I fill up, and then when we get to our destination and open the locker to turn the gas on it will show as full.

Due to the 80% cut off the gauges will still show full until they are below 75%, they are optimistic at best!

HTH.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It selects which gas cylinder to use, fully turned say clockwise it selects the cinder that the gas hose on that side is connected to. Turn anti clock and it selects the other cylinder.
If it is the auto version you select which cylinder you want as the primary one, this one will be used first.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

I can't help with your query but I notice you have used four of your five free posts. To get the most from the forum you will need to subscribe. It's well worth £15 and will allow you to continue posting beyond your initial five free posts as well as letting you into areas that non members can't access. Also makes you eligible for meets and discounts

Broken Link Removed

Wyn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From the description given I think it's one of these:

01-1755_changeover.jpg

OP
OP
Hilary.B

Hilary.B

Free Member
Jun 11, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
Yes that is it. but what do I do with it? and what do the colours mean please?

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The ‘outside pointer’ points to the cylinder it should be taking gas from. While that cylinder has gas in it the windows will show green. They will turn red when the cylinder being pointed to has run out of gas and it has (automatically) switched to taking gas from the other cylinder.

You don’t need to do anything with it but it is a useful to indicate when a cylinder has become empty. If both cylinders are open, you need to fill up when the windows have gone red. While it’s green you have one full cylinder and another that is not yet empty.

OP
OP
Hilary.B

Hilary.B

Free Member
Jun 11, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
That is wonderful, thank you soooo much. I really wish that I had listened when my late husband described things but I just let it go over my head never thinking that he wouldn't be around for ever.
That's a lesson to everyone else.. You need to listen when your other half speaks lol

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Noooooooooooooooo - he'll want to tell me how to empty the loo cassette !! LOL (I do actually know, but don't regard it as my job LOL)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Noooooooooooooooo - he'll want to tell me how to empty the loo cassette !! LOL (I do actually know, but don't regard it as my job LOL)
SWMBO leant the hard way last year in Germany I was relaxing in bed with food poisoning. ( well certain bits of me were relaxing).:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back