Gasit twin 6kg system fitted to my Bessacarr 424 (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Lol very funny I’m sure BA means well I have filled the system at my local garage at a cost of £18.71 for 25.33 litres so a bargain to boot I only had one cylinder with the van so feel happier now I have two.
The cost of buying a new 7kg cylinder is
7kg Butane price: New bottle: £65.24. Refill: £25.25. So that’s two full bottles for less than the price of one refill.
Refill went smoothly no leaks I have tested each bottle separately along with the regulator with leak spray again no leaks and all appliances working correctly. Thanks all.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have absolutely nothing against people doing diy it’s just the fact that so many think they know best
Compared with many numpty 'professionals' they very often do.
There is an obsession with the dangers of LPG - an inflammable vapour that dissipates in the lightest breeze and is therefore best transferred from pump to tank outdoors. Compare it with an alternative: we allow anyone of the age of 16 to transfer a volatile and inflammable liquid from a pump to an open container. If spilled it evaporates relatively slowly and is very much a fire hazard whilst doing so. It can be carried loose in a plastic container in a motor vehicle and stored in the same container on domestic premises. There is no training or qualification required by the end user. It's called petrol.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks I did just nip it up a bit and it was fine. The bloke at gasit said the problem is a slow leak like mine on the fill side the shut off on the cylinder only operates if theres a faster leak (I suspect it might be a very basic shut off device).
One reason I don't fit gasit systems. No problem with the kit as it's pretty much the same as all the alternatives but what he's told you is utter bollox! A non return valve is a non return valve, if the pressure downstream of the valve is equal to or greater than the pressure upstream of the valve then the valve will close, either under spring pressure or under the pressure differential of the gas, the only reason it might not seal would be if there is a foreign body on the valve seat to stop it closing. The rate of flow through the valve has zero effect on the valve's ability to seal.

D.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
The test hose is good idea possibly save money in long run if you have a few miles to travel to get lpg

Got 2 lpg stations 7 mls from me filling at one of them my fill point just leaks like the fog - 2nd lpg station have no problems at all - filled up abroad and other places and never had problem only 1 lpg station i've had problems with so dont use them anymore.

So test hose could save you on fuel and a lot of nipping up of joints possibly damaging threads in the process all because 1 garages pump connection does not seal properly

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
So the test of the system will be a live fill on a garage forecourt :xThumb:
You have to love the confidence of the diyers (y)

I got Travelworld to fit my refillable system when I went to pick up my M/H they were just completing this so me and guy that was handing over the M/H to me went to the gas place just up the road filled up with gas went back to Travelworld and the guy that fitted the system did a leak test. No leaks.:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I got Travelworld to fit my refillable system when I went to pick up my M/H they were just completing this so me and guy that was handing over the M/H to me went to the gas place just up the road filled up with gas went back to Travelworld and the guy that fitted the system did a leak test. No leaks.:xThumb:
That’s why I wouldn’t trust a dealer to do anything !
Funny that both Gas it and Gaslow and other lpg cylinder suppliers all supply the equipment and recommend testing before filling the system.
I wouldn’t want the potential embarrassment and panic that a friend of ours went through when his fill hose was leaking on his new installation.
The fact that an allegedly professional company is prepared to put their customers/staff and the filling station at risk speaks volumes.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/lpg-test-equipment.html

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That’s why I wouldn’t trust a dealer to do anything !
Funny that both Gas it and Gaslow and other lpg cylinder suppliers all supply the equipment and recommend testing before filling the system.
I wouldn’t want the potential embarrassment and panic that a friend of ours went through when his fill hose was leaking on his new installation.
The fact that an allegedly professional company is prepared to put their customers/staff and the filling station at risk speaks volumes.

https://www.gasit.co.uk/lpg-test-equipment.html
If a filling hose leaks simply stop filling? It would take a minor leak (joint not fully tight or similar) several minutes to discharge more gas than is discharged by normal disconnection of the filler nozzle.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
The test hose is to fill the system from any source of gas you may have such as Calor or as I do I have a small refillable Gaslow direct fill cylinder as well as lots of Calor .

Wish I could afford to have all that stuff available to do a one off job.:xwink:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Lol very funny I’m sure BA means well I have filled the system at my local garage at a cost of £18.71 for 25.33 litres so a bargain to boot I only had one cylinder with the van so feel happier now I have two.
The cost of buying a new 7kg cylinder is
7kg Butane price: New bottle: £65.24. Refill: £25.25. So that’s two full bottles for less than the price of one refill.
Refill went smoothly no leaks I have tested each bottle separately along with the regulator with leak spray again no leaks and all appliances working correctly. Thanks all.

That's great news. I've just filled my 2 x 11kg Gaslow system for the first time and it cost £28 for 42-litres; just how good is that.

I can now afford to turn the heating up to 14-degrees for the missus.:xgrin:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That’s a bargain Andrew did you get it fitted by a dealer.

Yes sir, it was supplied and fitted yesterday by SMC in Newark - for free:xsmile:

I've just bought a new SMC-supplied Globecar and it was delivered from Germany with a Truma 6 (no E) instead of the 4E system as per the UK spec list, so SMC volunteered to add a new Auto-Gaslow system for me.

One of the best motorhome dealers out there IMO.

All the best,

Andrew

tony dellar

Free Member
Sep 12, 2017
Funster No
My van has refillable not sure if it was DIY,d but first fill after buying it vanished like smoke , being on old plumber I did a tighten up every joint must have been done up by a limp wristed 6 year old ! Even the rubber hose on the low pressure side I got about two turns on the screws , the gas must have gone strait out of the vent at the bottom as I smelt nothing but lucky I was using the cooker on my first trip and am still on tera firma !

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Now that the pros and cons of a refillable system have been thrashed out how about insurance?
Self installation of a system is classed (by some insurance companies) as a modification which you are obliged to tell your insurance company about. Apparently some companies are not bothered but some like Comfort require you to have the system checked and certified by a qualified motorhome gas installer, faliure to do so is at your risk of insurance cancellation.
So what you save in self-installation you pay a little back in certification.
Am i right or am i wrong?

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Now that the pros and cons of a refillable system have been thrashed out how about insurance?
Self installation of a system is classed (by some insurance companies) as a modification which you are obliged to tell your insurance company about. Apparently some companies are not bothered but some like Comfort require you to have the system checked and certified by a qualified motorhome gas installer, faliure to do so is at your risk of insurance cancellation.
Who did you get to check your installation I have informed my insurance company no problems they did ask which system and where I bought it though, no mention of having it checked.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Checked and certified by who exactly under what regulatory body with what qualifications ?

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Comfort Motorhome Insurance require a certificated check by a motorhome gas installation engineet. Dont know the technicalities except that a habitation check is not acceptable.
Dont beat me up. Only letting you know what happened after renewing my insurance and declaring that i have installed this system.

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Comfort Motorhome Insurance require a certificated check by a motorhome gas installation engineet. Dont know the technicalities except that a habitation check is not acceptable.
Dont beat me up. Only letting you know what happened after renewing my insurance and declaring that i have installed this system.
Who did the check for you and what did it cost thanks.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
No checks made yet as since fitting the system i have had a hip op and can't drive. However after a bit of research i see that Basildog has gone to great lengths under
GAS SAFE and refillable gas cylinders !
And i will be ringing up Comfort tomorrow to ask for clarification on test requirements.
Will let you tomorrow am.

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
I read quite a bit on forums before fitting and have read a few threads regarding Comfort and their insistence on it being professionally installed, or certificated following diy fitting. One of the issues was the reluctance to offer guidance on what would be acceptable.
Good luck.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
No checks made yet as since fitting the system i have had a hip op and can't drive. However after a bit of research i see that Basildog has gone to great lengths under
GAS SAFE and refillable gas cylinders !
And i will be ringing up Comfort tomorrow to ask for clarification on test requirements.
Will let you tomorrow am.
Push them to answer the specific question as they will try and tell you it has to be a registered installation, there isn’t such a thing ☹️:xrofl::xThumb:
Don’t let any Gas Safe registerered plumber tell you that they can certify refillable lpg installation as they cannot :xrofl:

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Reply as promised.....
Phoned Comfort who said it needs to be installed by a qualified engineer, tested and certificate issued.
15 minutes later after challenging all this and asking for a test specification it became..
So long as it was installed professionally!!
Fair comment.
As i have only fitted 1 x 11kg bottle and only connected 1 hydraulic pipe and being a time served mechanical engineer i consider that it has been fitted professionally.
I think Comfort were only trying it on and once challenged gave a reasonable request.

Hope this clarifies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Push them to answer the specific question as they will try and tell you it has to be a registered installation, there isn’t such a thing ☹️:xrofl::xThumb:
Don’t let any Gas Safe registerered plumber tell you that they can certify refillable lpg installation as they cannot :xrofl:
Well done as BA states there is not a qualified person who can do what they asked for nor legislation to be adhered to.

Nov 21, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
I emailed Comfort today asking what specifically they required & received the following, "a gas safety inspection record certificate" or "a habitation service certificate". Incidentally, in my email today, I quoted my nearest supplier (Johns Cross) as saying they provided an invoice showing the system had been fitted "professionally".

Peter

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Good job think exchange bottle is safer - oops did not tighten the regulator enough its caught fire and burnt the van into scrap - so maybe worth more in scrap weight and less to tow away:xsad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back