Gasit twin 6kg system fitted to my Bessacarr 424 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
6D781652-36F0-4C9A-80FB-A8A07C64BC77.jpeg
40FF12C2-0C39-4F5D-AAC9-230516C503AC.jpeg
F950F292-E945-4631-8F7E-A5826613D116.jpeg
2C7869EF-B139-4BF8-991B-C2F29AA2F6CE.jpeg
A45B42A3-2FA2-483E-B582-4473BA95001E.jpeg
This weekend I have fitted a Gasit twin 6kg refillable system with the external fill point mounted in the skirt, a fairly straightforward job.
Just got to fill the system with the leak spray at the ready lol

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Did you make sure the screws holding the filler point don't protrude too much into where the nozzle goes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
Yes I checked that when assembled used small washers to ensure no interference thanks.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
So the test of the system will be a live fill on a garage forecourt :xThumb:
You have to love the confidence of the diyers (y)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
True but maybe not the best way to welcome a new member. :xsmile:
Well it says that they’ve been a member since 2017 but I will confess I didn’t look but my worry about the proposed test of the new system still stands :xThumb:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder what difference it makes if you pay to have it installed other than someone else does the first fill or maybe some don't

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having fitted my own I would recommend a small fill first I filled it to the top then had a small leak no way to empty it
Unless the leak was actually in the cylinder itself you don't need to empty the entire system. There are non return valve seats in both the fill point and the cylinder on the fill connection. Assuming your leak was on a connection of the fill side all you have to empty is the pipework itself to open a joint. Unless there was a faulty fitting or dirt in a mating joint it would probably seal if you gave it another quarter turn, they do have to be very tight joints on the filling pipework.

D.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I wonder what difference it makes if you pay to have it installed other than someone else does the first fill or maybe some don't
It’s nothing to do with whether you pay someone else to fit the refillable system or not but about doing the research on how to fit and test , then either borrowing or purchasing it .

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
BA I appreciate your concern the fill test involves just 3 fittings; the first is the fill point and then onto the transfer into the actual bottles which utilise non return valves, I am confident in my ability to fit the system and commission it myself. I will then test each bottle separately for transfer via the regulator to the vans supply. I understand DIY is not for everyone but I enjoy doing it myself, I have recently fitted a Pioneer dedicated Sat Nav system saving £150 on fitting, likewise the Gasit DIY saved me around £200. If you do not see me on the forum again your fears were correct and I will have had a very short retirement.
Ps thanks for all the Welcomes.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unless the leak was actually in the cylinder itself you don't need to empty the entire system. There are non return valve seats in both the fill point and the cylinder on the fill connection. Assuming your leak was on a connection of the fill side all you have to empty is the pipework itself to open a joint. Unless there was a faulty fitting or dirt in a mating joint it would probably seal if you gave it another quarter turn, they do have to be very tight joints on the filling pipework.

D.
Thanks I did just nip it up a bit and it was fine. The bloke at gasit said the problem is a slow leak like mine on the fill side the shut off on the cylinder only operates if theres a faster leak (I suspect it might be a very basic shut off device).

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You said,

So the test of the system will be a live fill on a garage forecourt :xThumb:

I said,

That's where most of us with refillable get gas, not many other options for getting gas into the system are there ?

The test hose is for testing a system that has gas pressure in it is it not ?, so as I asked where do you fill the system with gas to test the system as you implied fill the system for the first time on a garage forecourt was a daft idea. Make any sense now ? :xThumb:

OP
OP
10tenmen
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
If it helps to assuage the worries I have two of my four children in the gas industry my daughter is a British Gas engineer and my son is a Heating plumbing installer with gas safe certification. Although I have retired to Bridlington and they live in Rotherham. My first job in life was a fitter with the National coal Board for 10 years so I think I can fit a refillable gas system. I do appreciate the posts though just finished fitting the Tyre Pal sensors in preparation for Spain in February. Off to the weighbridge tomorrow to check axle loads so lots to do and plenty of time to do it.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You said,

I said,

The test hose is for testing a system that has gas pressure in it is it not ?, so as I asked where do you fill the system with gas to test the system as you implied fill the system for the first time on a garage forecourt was a daft idea. Make any sense now ? :xThumb:

The test hose is to fill the system from any source of gas you may have such as Calor or as I do I have a small refillable Gaslow direct fill cylinder as well as lots of Calor .

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If it helps to assuage the worries I have two of my four children in the gas industry my daughter is a British Gas engineer and my son is a Heating plumbing installer with gas safe certification. Although I have retired to Bridlington and they live in Rotherham. My first job in life was a fitter with the National coal Board for 10 years so I think I can fit a refillable gas system. I do appreciate the posts though just finished fitting the Tyre Pal sensors in preparation for Spain in February. Off to the weighbridge tomorrow to check axle loads so lots to do and plenty of time to do it.

I am Gas safe but still test :xrofl:
Although a certificate in diy dentistry is just as useful in the case of refillable cylinders as they aren’t covered by Gas safe in any way .
Merely pointing out that there is a test kit available
I have absolutely nothing against people doing diy it’s just the fact that so many think they know best .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back