Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Hi all

How does one know when the gas is getting low ? On my regulator there isnt a gauge or any other indication of low gas other than the gas going off !! Is there some sort of in line device I can fit myself.

Thats the first question.

Second Q,

Im going to get a small gas BBQ and I was just going to chuck in the gas barrel from my home BBQ. Its one of those see through jobbies. ( which is great for seeing whats left ! ) Are there any regs on carrying gas tanks like this ? it will go in the gas tank box along with the red gas tank.

C

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There are many stick on the bottle gauges and add on gauges but none in my opinion accurate enough to rely on if you only carry one bottle
I would make a strap to hold your BBQ plastic tank firmly in place even though it is in a gas locker vibration/rubbing on plastic can cause a leak over time

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these . the tare of the bottle is usually on the bottom rim of bottle or an ally plate around the neck. a quick lift gives a good idea of whats inside.
reimo used to sell them these days its a modern version part no, 75040.
gasflaschen-federwaage.https://www.reimo.com/en/75040-gas_cylinder_spring_scale/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi all

How does one know when the gas is getting low ? On my regulator there isnt a gauge or any other indication of low gas other than the gas going off !! Is there some sort of in line device I can fit myself.

Second Q,

Im going to get a small gas BBQ and I was just going to chuck in the gas barrel from my home BBQ. Its one of those see through jobbies. ( which is great for seeing whats left ! ) Are there any regs on carrying gas tanks like this ? it will go in the gas tank box along with the red gas tank.

C
@carhil if you google.......gas level indicator........you will see plenty that do what your looking for. You can get ones that don't need the bottle moving .

There is a great choice and prices as well

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't waste your hard earned on a stick on level indicator.. they don't work..

they are supposed to see the temperature interface between the liquid and gas level in the bottle..

.. but this only happens when there is a big take off of gas, ie running heating .. or cooking with several burners..

you can often see this in cold weather.. moisture in the atmosphere condenses on the bottle when the liquid gas is cooling down... so you can see the 'level'

Most people have two bottles, when one is empty, change over and replace or fill the other .

You can carry an extra bottle, but as said, make sure it is tied in, and doesn't rub against any gas pipes or fittings, or the other bottle..

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all

Second Q,

C
I carry two bottles (y)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi all

Second Q,

C
So basically, if I understand correctly, you will have one "Calor" type and one "BP patio gas" type cylinder. Of course, they both have different bottle connections, but it would make sense to find a way of using both in the MH (screwdriver, jubilee clip, second Calor connector - not quite that simple, I know) then you have the best of both worlds. Certainly an avenue worth exploring, but don't explore it at 80mph or the righteous brothers will be on you again....... :whistle2:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like Muddibootz we don't use much gas except in the winter for heating. I had occasion to change a cylinder recently though and our local supplier could only give me a 3.9kg cylinder, he reckoned that 6kg were rarer than hen's teeth. Anyone else had this problem?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
So basically, if I understand correctly, you will have one "Calor" type and one "BP patio gas" type cylinder. Of course, they both have different bottle connections, but it would make sense to find a way of using both in the MH (screwdriver, jubilee clip, second Calor connector - not quite that simple, I know) then you have the best of both worlds. Certainly an avenue worth exploring, but don't explore it at 80mph or the righteous brothers will be on you again....... :whistle2:

Yarp. I fancied id do a fair bit of outdoor cooking so would rig one up just for that purpose. I have a spare slot in the gas box with tie down etc so it would be safe. I just wondered if there were any specific regulations on transporting the plastic type bottles rather than steel. I guess if there was id never get one back from B&Q :LOL:

I will look into a screw in line type gauge. It would be nice to have some idea of when it will be empty as I cant think of anything worse than a half cooked sausage if the gas runs dry.

Nope, I wont be telling anyone what speed i go at from now on. Thank god they dont know what happens on my Motorbike................ooops :D:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yarp. I fancied id do a fair bit of outdoor cooking so would rig one up just for that purpose. I have a spare slot in the gas box with tie down etc so it would be safe. I just wondered if there were any specific regulations on transporting the plastic type bottles rather than steel. I guess if there was id never get one back from B&Q :LOL:

I will look into a screw in line type gauge. It would be nice to have some idea of when it will be empty as I cant think of anything worse than a half cooked sausage if the gas runs dry.

Nope, I wont be telling anyone what speed i go at from now on. Thank god they dont know what happens on my Motorbike................ooops :D:D
Gas pressure gauges aren't really a lot of good - they simply register the vapour pressure until there is no more vapour, in which case they register zero. No matter how full or empty, providing there is liquid there, the pressure will be the same, assuming the temperature is the same. I got some refillable gas bottles which have a real gauge which physically works - Gaslow R67 bottles are an example, as are similar bottles from Auotgas 2000. but then you need the refilling point. Bonus is much much cheaper gas and easy to refill, downside is cost of installation. worth a look at if you either use a lot of gas or don't like lugging cylinders around

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The only definitive way to know how much is left is to weigh the bottle. It's largely irrelevant though as if there is gas left then it's not empty, if it's empty then there is no need to weigh it. If you can be bothered, disconnect the bottle, hoist it up to shoulder level then gently tip it back and forth on the vertical axis and you can hear the liquid sloshing around. It actually gives you a good idea of how much is left.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back