Gas - How to? - Yet another newbie question (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Really aiming to get my money's worth from this forum, but thanks guys you have been SUPER helpful over the last few months...

Picking up my Rapido next week (or early the following week, depending on the weather). I've slowly got a rough idea of most areas, but GAS confuses me a little.

The dealer is putting in a couple of 'part-filled' gas bottles, but I can't imagine these lasting long, so will need to do an exchange sooner or later. This is the bit I'm unsure about.

Do I drive my MH to the gas dealer, or take the bottles out, put them in the back of the car and swap them that way?

I have no idea how to remove a gas bottle. I saw a YouTube video and they used a spanner to remove one, but then fitted it back hand-tight.

I also understand that most people turn the gas off when travelling, and don't rely on the 'gas safe' crash sensor. Sensible idea, or over cautious?

Your directions and tips would greatly appreciated.

Oh, one last query... do I cook, using gas in the van with doors and windows open, or is this safe with no 'ventilation' except the extractor fan?

The van has a carbon monoxide detector fitted, but I'll replace that as I'm not sure of the battery life, etc. They are quite cheap. Do you think 'lpg' detectors are a worthwhile investment?

(sorry, lot of questions, again) :)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
If Calor or other removeable bottles take them to a dealer and swap them. In the moho or in your car. Remember, propane are left hand thread. Tighten with a gas spanner. Job done.

If you have a crash safe valve then you are ok to travel but most people just turn off the gas.

You may see a sticker near the oven advising opening a nearby window if cooking. The cooker, heater and fridge vent outside so no real reason to open doors or windows beyond the little bit of ventilation near the cooker.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I used to change the gas bottles while away in the van - mostly at supermarkets (home and abroad) so there is no problem parking the van.
Gas bottles tend to need a large bottle spanner and are left hand threads
Cooking in the van is no problem but keep the detectors working.
Refillable bottles are a good investment if you find you are buying gas bottles regularly - Refillable gas is around a third of the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Watch out for ( e.g. don't drop/lose) any 'O' rings or fibre washers when you remove/refit gas bottles.

You can use one of these spanners with your existing connector nut
1638119383283.png

or just buy one of these (the pink bit) that also fits over the existing nut. You won't need a spanner as you can tighten the connection just by hand.

1638120200289.png

or you can replace the complete pigtail (hose and connectors) with one having a hand tightening fitting.

1638119511395.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I had a Cobra lpg gas detector fitted that was integrated with my alarm & tracker. It also detected other gasses. I used it all the time when sited without problem and no detections. It did work as it picked up aerosol use on occasions. Expensive but reassuring peace of mind.

I once met a Brit on the continent in an old Hymer. He had a stand alone gas detector fitted when he bought the van fairly recently. It was well worth the expense as it detected a gas leak whilst they were away camping. I think they were asleep at the time but cannot be sure @fter the passage of years since we met😜

I don’t think many have them fitted though, probably down to cost

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When fitting a gas cylinder, do it up tight as you can by hand then about half a turn with the spanner to seal. If you plan on using the van in colder months, you need to use propane (red usually) as butane does not move from liquid to gas at temperatures below about 5 degrees. So no heating or cooking with butane in winter. Buy a portable gas sniffer. Great for checking joints inside the van as well as the bottle. You can get a cheap one for about £20

If you plan to use the van a lot, consider a refillable gas system as the reduced price of gas at the pump is a huge saving on the likes of calor, and you don't hand back part full bottles to exchange for a full one. It's a huge con bottled lpg and there are plenty of pumps at petrol stations still despite what some think

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beats my why the dealer is fitting two part filled bottles.
Its usual to get at least one full bottle..
Removing bottle ...
turn off the bottles main valve, usually a round tap on the bottle top.
Using a spanner (unless it has a hand wheel) turn the hose nut CLOCKWISE....the opposite to what you would expect.
Undo any securing straps etc then lift out. They are heavier than they look.
Refitting is the reverse and just nip the hose nut....don't overtighten it, it doesn't need it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Don't assume swapping out the bottle for a full one will be straightforward, things may well have improved but even our main Calor Depot didn't have any to exchange a few weeks ago.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
If Calor or other removeable bottles take them to a dealer and swap them. In the moho or in your car. Remember, propane are left hand thread. Tighten with a gas spanner. Job done.

If you have a crash safe valve then you are ok to travel but most people just turn off the gas.

You may see a sticker near the oven advising opening a nearby window if cooking. The cooker, heater and fridge vent outside so no real reason to open doors or windows beyond the little bit of ventilation near the cooker.
My cooker doesn’t vent externally

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Ok, but it’s designed to be used in a motorhome and as I suggested they do recommend ventilation near the cooker when being used
I don’t believe it’s necessary and could be dangerous if opening a window that’s next to it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back