Gas filter? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I have just had my Dometic fridge repaired for the second time in its first 18 months. on both occasions it worked fine on 12 and 240v but when on gas, it would ignite, run for a few minutes then restart. This resulted in a constant 'popping' sound. The Dometic engineer was called when I took it back to the dealer and they phoned me today to say that as I have Gaslow fitted it must be dirty gas clogging the system and I should fit a filter to prevent it happening again.
Is he having me on or should one be fitted? If I should fit one can anybody recommend one and where it should be fitted?

Thanks Guys (and Gals)

John

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Fit on the regulator. Truma do them. Guess if you have them fitted (we do) then dirty gas is no longer an excuse.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it was dirty gas the flue chimney would be sooted up and the fridge wouldn't cool very well. The fault doesn't sound like that is the problem. Heard several reports of sooting up after filling with gas in France sometimes a bit more oil residue in the gas. A filter may help, I fitted the gas-it ones took them out in the end, kept getting gas leaks they didn't seal very well on the washers and would leak after a few months bouncing about on rough roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I had Autogas Alugas fitted on 12/07/2016....
As of today I've used 443.67 ltrs of petrol station LPG... (not incl what's currenlty in bottles)... and my fridge hasn't missed a beat... and is as cold as a cold thing on a cold day... it runs 90% of time on gas...

Please note: not all that has gone thru fridge... heating and cooking too...

The point being.... I think they're avin a larf!..

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
I had Autogas Alugas fitted on 12/07/2016....
As of today I've used 443.67 ltrs of petrol station LPG... (not incl what's currenlty in bottles)... and my fridge hasn't missed a beat... and is as cold as a cold thing on a cold day... it runs 90% of time on gas...

Please note: not all that has gone thru fridge... heating and cooking too...

The point being.... I think they're avin a larf!..
I must confess, that's what I thought but it seems they wont repair under warranty without a filter fitted :mad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sorry to join the crowd John, but I think they are looking to blame something else, you will, as I would, comply, fit a filter and still have the fault

maybe worth an email to ask if you do just that and still have the fault will they reimburse the cost to buy and fit the filter?

hope it gets sorted (y)

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
maybe worth an email to ask if you do just that and still have the fault will they reimburse the buy and fit?
Nice idea David but this is Marquis we are talking about :(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Worth a few minutes effort though, we cant just keep rolling over for the 'big boys' to kick us on both sides :)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the Dometic warranty you can take it to any Dometic service center or engineer, next time it plays up take it somewhere else.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes your'e right David I will ask the question. (y)
And, add the fact please John, that similar to @Fletton above, there are some of us who have been using inherited bulk gas refillable systems for years without a filter, and have never had a problem.......................regardless of which EU country our refillable system was replenished in. :mad:

Good luck. (y)

Jock. :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I used the same site for warranty repairs. Always took 2 or 3 attempts to fix any fault. Their favourite is " Have you read the small print"
Good luck with them!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We never used them for other than the initial warranty repair they'd actually told Swift about before we picked it up, and Swift did the work when we wanted NP. After that, we have used Mark (Central Leisure Services) whenever we've needed anything though it hasn't been much we've needed - he's authorised to do warranty work on most common makes of equipment. I know he's Swift authorised too, but not certain about other makes of actual van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They're just trying to pass the buck IMV! We've had refillable gas system on several vans since 2009 and have NEVER had any problems like this ... so far we've got through over 380 litres of gas, from lots of different countries. We have stainless steel pipes on our system as at the time it was either these or standard thin rubber ones (as used with portable camping stoves etc) so we got the s/s ones, however there are also the thick rubber ones now - the 'rubber pipes' causing the problem was another excuse in the past too.

I suspect the fault is being caused by something else and in order to prove it you could try temporarily using a Calor bottle to 'prove' the point ... that should be an interesting discussion you'd be having with them then!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My van was fitted with the Truma filters, and with the duo control I understand that Truma require the filters for warranty in the event of their regulator failure. This year I inspected the filter on number one cylinder, it had oil in the bottom, admittedly only a teaspoon but nevertheless it was there. Number 2 cylinder filter which I have only switched to once had no residue. So there is oil in the gas I have consumed, and only circa 50 litres this year, so which bits of gas kit swallow it without indigestion??

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
As minxy says above, plus I was a gas and heating engineer before retirement and regularly a particular boiler pilot would not maintain its length to operate the electronic controls. Cleaning the pilot injector out and boiler would work fine, a few days later called back to the same. I found when removing the supply pipe to the injector it had minute particles of dust and oxide inside.
Connecting the pipe to vacuum cleaner or air line removed the debris and was never called back again.
I also have had refillable gas since 2008 and never any problems.

John.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My van was fitted with the Truma filters, and with the duo control I understand that Truma require the filters for warranty in the event of their regulator failure. This year I inspected the filter on number one cylinder, it had oil in the bottom, admittedly only a teaspoon but nevertheless it was there. Number 2 cylinder filter which I have only switched to once had no residue. So there is oil in the gas I have consumed, and only circa 50 litres this year, so which bits of gas kit swallow it without indigestion??
What pipes does your system have, ie what material are they? Also do they sit under (ie lower) than the filter or higher than it (above)?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We have had a refillable gas system since new (2 years) and used the system for about 5 months with no problems. I have just had the fridge serviced and quote 'the jets were as clean as whistle'! Rapido state in their manual that the fridge should be serviced every 3 months if using autogas which seems excessive and seems more like backside covering!

We don't have filters fitted - I considered them but after discussion with Autogas200 decided against them and monitor how things go. So far so good.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
After three months in France and a few trips away at home we had a problem with our Dometic fridge not cooling on gas, so at six months old the Dometic service engineer came to sort the problem out. The flue was sooted up he swept the chimney LOL and told us it was probably down to "Dirty Gas" he did however change the burner as he said "I always do it as a matter of course they only cost a few quid" He also told us "we ought to have the fridge serviced every six months if we used a refillable system (which we do!) as the gas quality varies"

That was three years ago now and since the burner change we have not had any problems (touching wood here). So personally I have always wondered if the problem was with the burner not burning cleanly and not the gas we were using.

I have had the flue swept once since then and it had next to nothing in the way of soot in it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
What pipes does your system have, ie what material are they? Also do they sit under (ie lower) than the filter or higher than it (above)?
The pipes are the rubber Gasit ones, the filters are above the cylinders as is the regulator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back