PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Depends on many factor, such as the bottle size, fridge capacity, outside temp and if the gas will be used to only run the fridge.

In my experience I use a 13kg bottle to run the fridge, cooking, heating the hot water and centrally heating the van and it lasts for ever. Not a very useful scientific reply, but the fridge alone will use very little gas.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Depends on many factor, such as the bottle size, fridge capacity, outside temp and if the gas will be used to only run the fridge.

In my experience I use a 13kg bottle to run the fridge, cooking, heating the hot water and centrally heating the van and it lasts for ever. Not a very useful scientific reply, but the fridge alone will use very little gas.
What model of fridge do you have?.

The gas consumption will be in the manual

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We usually bank on using 1 litre per day without any heating on,that's fridge and gas rings for breakfast lunch and dinner if heating/ hot water on then a further 0.5/1 litre a day so a 6 kg bottle may last you just short of a week .
Trust that helps
On that basis in the UK using a Calor bottle your basic necessities for just one week will cost you £34.00!
EDIT. I suppose that a UK site would charge you that for leccy anyway...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
On that basis in the UK using a Calor bottle your basic necessities for just one week will cost you £34.00!
No ,we use refillables and the most we have paid ,so far, in the UK was 79 p a litre. I don't think calor exchange is £34 either for 6kg probably around £26. (y)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have 2 x 11kg lpg bottles and a big fridge that uses at least 1ltr of gas per day without heating but cooking and hot water it only lasts max 30 days but if I use the ch every day then it goes down to max 7 days if I’m lucky. Therefore it’s all down to how you use your gas and what size appliances you run Hope this helps also costs about £30 to fill up about 40 ltrs (20kgs)

Deleted User
my last two 13kg Calor were £35 & £38, and only last me about 2 weeks each off-grid at this time of year. Other than the fridge/freezer, I keep the heating use to a minimum, frost protection over night 8 degrees (when the forecast says it will be any lower than 5 degrees, otherwise its left turned off) then up to 18 degrees until late morning after which the sun is enough to keep the van comfortable usually.

I rarely use the oven (every few days at most for one meal a day), 3 brews of the kettle in the morning on the gas hob. I dont use the hot water (I lived on a boat for 2 years and got used to living without it).
It might help if there was a way to NOT heat the hot water (since i dont use it) while still having the heating on, but there isnt on my Alde system (n)(n)(n):mad:

I'm surprised how quickly gas runs out honestly.

Considering the cost of diesel used driving around finding overnight spots, gas usage this time of year, I think its cheaper to stay on a cheap site and enjoy the facilities and sleep well at night knowing I wont be moved on or have idiots beeping or banging the van.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
No ,we use refillables and the most we have paid ,so far, in the UK was 79 p a litre. I don't think calor exchange is £34 either for 6kg probably around £26. (y)
We have paid £35.00 for an 11kg bottle last winter.

we was getting around 3 weeks of usage out of a bottle but, we were being very frugal with it.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
New to motorhoming. Can anyone tell me how long a gas bottle lasts using a fridge off grid?
Our fridge uses approx 1/2 kg of gas per day. We work on 12 days per 6kg bottle, but we do get some gas hob use [kettle and small pan], so squeezing a 13th day is possible. Bur we are miserly with the energy consumption!

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our fridge uses approx 1/2 kg of gas per day. We work on 12 days per 6kg bottle, but we do get some gas hob use [kettle and small pan], so squeezing a 13th day is possible. Bur we are miserly with the energy consumption!

Steve
Best to ignore that post he is Scottish, they think ice cubes are warm.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Half a kg per day is our normal usage...take a look at the jet on the fridge...how can that possibly use more, and it's not a constant flame..our gas consumption remains minimal... perhaps one Flogas top up per month....

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Just running a fridge on gas is quite economical and usually more efficient than electric. Using heating cooking and hot water on gas is again very efficient but obviously will eat more into your budget. We use Safefil and even during the so called shortage we had no problem getting refills, paid a max of £10 a refill on 11kg bottle as against the ripoff prices charged by the monopoly Calor !

Paul.L

Free Member
Oct 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
2004 Swift Sundance
They ripped you off, here is a calor price list a 6 kg exchange is £25.25
It's a dear do having to pay full price.
I'm fortunate in that I have a contact at a Flogas depot, and this morning I paid £6.39 for 6KG of propane.
When we had our caravan we used to pay around £11 for 13KG. (Around 9 years ago)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our fridge packed up on electric on our first day in France, in the summer. We ran it on gas for three weeks not problem, and BBQ'd and cooked. Bottle only ran out on our return to UK.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Given the list ripoff price quoted by Calor at £2.15 per Litre when the going rate at the pump is about 80p, that 37% of what Calor arte charging, does anyone use exchange bottles these days?

Deleted User
shortages seem to be getting worse not better.
Had a real problem finding one anywhere locally recently. Managed to get the last 13kg from a garden centre in the middle of nowhere yesterday (getting there down fairly busy single track lanes and in to their car park in a 9m MH wasnt fun), had been trying to find one for a while now.

Paul.L

Free Member
Oct 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
2004 Swift Sundance
shortages seem to be getting worse not better.
Had a real problem finding one anywhere locally recently. Managed to get the last 13kg from a garden centre in the middle of nowhere yesterday (getting there down fairly busy single track lanes and in to their car park in a 9m MH wasnt fun), had been trying to find one for a while now.
Find your nearest Flogas depot - they've got ample supplies

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back