G.M. Automatic Transmission

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by martyn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. martyn

martyn Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    Does anybody know the correct position for the magnet in the fluid pan of a G.M...THM400 auto gearbox. I changed the oil filter today and found a magnet in the pan,put it back where it came from, just wanted to check and make sure it's in the right place. TIA.:pray:

2. J.C.

J.C. Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +0
    Martyn,
    internal magnets are fitted to the lower pick-up pipe (submersed in fluid) to catch any metal particles, a jubilee clip to hold in place works fine, you should also have a magnetic pick up drain plug fitted as standard.
    regards
    James
    Stateside Tuning

3. martyn

martyn Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    James, thanks for the reply,this box is like none other i have seen.There is no drain plug,got to drop the pan,the oil is sucked up through the filter,then through a pipe at the front of the valve chamber.The magnet (hollow middle)sits on a dimple on the bottom of the pan,and obviously being magnetic,sticks to the bottom of the pan.I'll take a chance it's right, i've done 15000 miles in it so it should be OK. Thanks for your help..... Martyn :thumb:

4. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Feel free to call him if you're at all concerned Martyn, but make it before Friday as he's off to the States :winky: without me :cry:

5. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +4,370
    Hi Martin is it possible to put a small bore plastic pipe down the filler tube and suck the oil out? I seem to remember seeing this done in a garage somewhere.

Hi James, you ever heard of this?

Olley

6. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    He's gone to bed Olley (lightweight :roflmto: ) I shall point him this way in the morning.

7. martyn

martyn Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    Good idea Olley, but you have to remove the pan to get at the filter,and not having a drain plug tends to make it a messy job,especially when you're laying on your back.:Smile:

8. martyn

martyn Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    I'm always concerned Linda :Doh: Thanks anyway :thumb:

9. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +4,370
    Hi Martin, when you said filter I thought you meant a wire strainer type, got to drop the pan to change the filter, what bright spark thought of that! :Angry:

Olley

10. martyn

martyn Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    Dunno mate,really stupid idea, the filter bolts on to the valve chest, it's oblong shape and sits just above the bottom of the pan.Anyway it's done now,OK for the next 5 years i hope.:pray: