Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Does anybody know the correct position for the magnet in the fluid pan of a G.M...THM400 auto gearbox. I changed the oil filter today and found a magnet in the pan,put it back where it came from, just wanted to check and make sure it's in the right place. TIA.:pray:

J.C.

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
American RVs
Martyn,
internal magnets are fitted to the lower pick-up pipe (submersed in fluid) to catch any metal particles, a jubilee clip to hold in place works fine, you should also have a magnetic pick up drain plug fitted as standard.
regards
James
Stateside Tuning

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
James, thanks for the reply,this box is like none other i have seen.There is no drain plug,got to drop the pan,the oil is sucked up through the filter,then through a pipe at the front of the valve chamber.The magnet (hollow middle)sits on a dimple on the bottom of the pan,and obviously being magnetic,sticks to the bottom of the pan.I'll take a chance it's right, i've done 15000 miles in it so it should be OK. Thanks for your help..... Martyn :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Feel free to call him if you're at all concerned Martyn, but make it before Friday as he's off to the States :winky: without me :cry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Martin is it possible to put a small bore plastic pipe down the filler tube and suck the oil out? I seem to remember seeing this done in a garage somewhere.

Hi James, you ever heard of this?

Olley

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
He's gone to bed Olley (lightweight :roflmto: ) I shall point him this way in the morning.

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Good idea Olley, but you have to remove the pan to get at the filter,and not having a drain plug tends to make it a messy job,especially when you're laying on your back.:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Martin, when you said filter I thought you meant a wire strainer type, got to drop the pan to change the filter, what bright spark thought of that! :Angry:

Olley

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Dunno mate,really stupid idea, the filter bolts on to the valve chest, it's oblong shape and sits just above the bottom of the pan.Anyway it's done now,OK for the next 5 years i hope.:pray:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back