Future value of your motorhome (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
By that time I don't think I will be giving a monkeys so yes you can have it ;)
Thank you so much👍 CAN ALL THE FUNSTERS ON HERE SCREENSHOT THIS PAGE, It may come in handy for evidence a few years down the line😉😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It will not worry me, I’v just had a PSA blood test, was checked regularly at six month intervals’ last one November 2019. Due to COVID no invite from my urologist for another so I took it on myself to get one. Wow ! The resulting number has gone “ through the roof “ I am waiting for a telephone from my consultant at 4pm this afternoon.
We’ll see what happens from this afternoon on.
Value of our V Line is the last thing we are worried about.
I hope you get into the investigation queue ASAP

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
It will not worry me, I’v just had a PSA blood test, was checked regularly at six month intervals’ last one November 2019. Due to COVID no invite from my urologist for another so I took it on myself to get one. Wow ! The resulting number has gone “ through the roof “ I am waiting for a telephone from my consultant at 4pm this afternoon.
dipsie had health issues at the start of the year
Also van ended up stuck at repairs due to lockdown
For a while I really wasn't bothered if I seen the van again or not
Anyway nine months on and lots of attention from NHS I'm in remission
Today booked ferry crossing for next summer that had to cancel this summer
I'm working on the assumption that
1. there is some form of vaccine by then
2. I'm still in remission
If the van and also myself are still mobile in 2035 all good and well if not it will not matter
Best of luck dipsie

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Anyone put any thought in to the future value of their diesel motorhome as the day approaches to have all electric on to the roads.
If we speculate that as leisure vehicles they may have a shelf life of 15 years to the government's target of 2035 then there must come a time when prospective purchasers of your van will place a value based on its usable time left.
Most of us have probably been happy with the low depreciation in times passed but presumably that will not continue. The question is when and how fast the values would fall considering they may all become static caravans from 2035.
When new electric motorhomes come to market would people not be willing to pay a premium to future proof their investment with a marked fall in diesel sales. Perhaps that's when values start to fall faster than usuall?
Many will have to consider if and when they change their method of leisure travel such as caravan and electric car if they want some financial return on their van.
We are thinking to keep our present van untill forced to make it a static and not plow any more money in to further purchases. For us this means our second hand purchase in 2017 for will depreciate to £00.000 over those 18 years to 2035 at a rate of £5,000 per year which equates to £100.00 per week.
It's not all doom and gloom as we will use it extensively over those years for many adventures and enjoy the memories and all travel and leisure activities come with a cost.
Is there a different outcome for our trusty diesel motorhomes?

just anther optiistic thought to carry us through the winter .....thanks mate :rofl: :rofl: :clap2::clap2:

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
I agree with the posts on the Hydrogen alternative. All this hype on electric power, there was an article in one of the popular dailys the other day and apparantly they are struggling already with alterenative sources for electric on two facters 1 wind power and 2 solar power for obvious reasons in this country.However if they could harness all the hot air coming out of and thru Parliament at present it would be free power.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Investigations have started (not in the UK as yet) into using the existing NG network to distribute Hydrogen. So far it's looking good although their will need to be additional pumping stations. If it can replace NG for homes there's a very good chance the existing network could service vehicle filling stations.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've never kept a vehicle over 2 years lol

By 2035 ill likely have changed it 7 or 8 times by then ....or given up altogether

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's a complicated subject economics.

There is an argument to be made that the value will collapse as people will want to move to EV's wherever possible and won't want to risk buying a second hand diesel.

There is also an argument to be made that the value will increase, because there will be fewer and fewer additional diesels coming onto the market. From 2035 onwards more will be scrapped than are made. reducing availability...

One thing a lot of people don't consider is that by then there will be a roaring trade on conversions. Loads of companies will set up to provide EV conversion kits for vehicles and this might make the changeover neutral.

If the diesel market collapses then your 40K motorhome would be worth next to nothing, spending £5K or £10K on a conversion kit may be worth looking at.

Too complicated to make a judgement.

My personal view is ICE vehicles will depreciate increasingly quickly over the transition period and EV's will depreciate slower. I suspect within 5 years EV's will make up 50% of new sales and within 10 years no one will be buying ICE. So it will happen long before the 2035 cut off.

I will keep buying second hand diesels until second hand EV's have fallen down to the current price of ICE's on the second hand market. That will probably be 2035.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and as ICE vehicle decrease on the road expect petrol stations to go bust in greater and great numbers especially the smaller ones. It WILL get to the point where it is easier to find a charger than a petrol station. At that point would you want to keep your diesel?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If it ever gets to the point where every vehicle is electric it wont be worthwhile having a motorhome as there won't be anything worth seeing

The world will just be a mass off cables and chargers everywhere.

At the minute in the uk its hard enough finding somewhere to park one never mind charge it.

And everywhere else in Europe bar the uk people are encouraged to drive diesel rather than petrol it would seem as they are cheaper to run.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As they havent got the battery technology sorted yet Im not worried.
The government promoted the low CO2 of diesels as being a reason to buy.
Wait til the blinkers come off on the realities of cobalt and lithium mining and the pollution caused by power stations, the particulates caused by rubber tyres etc.
Electric cars may be replaced by Hydrogen or we could have vehicles running on magnetic fields "Maglev". There are already Maglev trains. Maglev Cars

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am 61 and have already outlived both my parents, I gave up trying to buy a decent crystal ball a few years ago as none worked properly so I really couldn’t care a less about what might or might not happen in 15 years re electric vehicles and future proofing vehicle values.

Good luck dipsie I hope they can get things under control for you.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
If I live that long I'll be too old to drive/worry. I have already thought about turning it into a retirement home with services. No need for driving seats it would be fine for me. Cockpit would be turned into a sofa with an extra beer fridge, no room for visitors to stay overnight, bliss!
That's my plan as well 👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If the diesel market collapses then your 40K motorhome would be worth next to nothing, spending £5K or £10K on a conversion kit may be worth looking at.

Well if the conversion kit costs £5K - £10K then surely the £40K MH is still worth £30K for its convertible value

Oh and as ICE vehicle decrease on the road expect petrol stations to go bust in greater and great numbers especially the smaller ones. It WILL get to the point where it is easier to find a charger than a petrol station. At that point would you want to keep your diesel?

Unless the EV market has managed to make EV suitable for 44t HGVs by then there will still be a huge demand for filling stations for diesel which would keep many in business.

Geoff

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Unless the EV market has managed to make EV suitable for 44t HGVs by then

That's a given I think. BMW produced their first 5 years ago

As cities levy massive pollution taxes Electric trucks will be common place in just a few years

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That's why we need to install the 5k litre central heating oil tank now. (y) (y)
Long term diesel storage has risks. A bit of condensation in the tank followed by a microbial infection, known as diesel bug. You could be left with 5,000 litres of unusable black sludge. I bought a boat that had stood unused for a couple of years and it took a lot of draining and cleaning of both tanks to get rid of the bug.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks everyone for a interesting read this morning on your reply posts from the various forums on which I posted the debate opening question. After working through the opinions on me personally for bringing up the subject there are some with helpfull and interesting viewpoints on the future for motorhomes. Due to those I have learned that the 2035 date is just for the sale of new vehicles not the banning of them. Along with this there will be many options to update the power unit therefore securing the future for our mode of travel and keeping the sale of new vans ongoing.
Happy travels.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hang in there mate, best of luck, I’m still here 12 years after my PC treatment started.
Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the price of used diesel motorhomes will sky rocket so we bought a new one as an investment ;)
When your motorhome is worthless Martin, I’ll have it off you, I could probably just afford “worthless”😉😂😂😂😂
By that time I don't think I will be giving a monkeys so yes you can have it ;)
Thank you so much👍 CAN ALL THE FUNSTERS ON HERE SCREENSHOT THIS PAGE, It may come in handy for evidence a few years down the line😉😉
You do realise the caveat to that don't you? If someone deems it's worth 1p then it's not worthless so you won't qualify for it ... I'll say it's worth more than £0.00 so look forward to receiving it in due course! :Grin:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You do realise the caveat to that don't you? If someone deems it's worth 1p then it's not worthless so you won't qualify for it ... I'll say it's worth more than £0.00 so look forward to receiving it in due course! :Grin:
Hey you, it’s not an auction, it’s first come best dressed an all that :rofl::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back