rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think site prices vary according to area, and not always according to the facilities.

We took up full-timing around 6 weeks ago, initially to try the idea out. Soon realising the motorhome had to go out on hire, we purchased a caravan - lovely for room!

We seem to be paying average, though cheap for the area. Most sites were around £15 per night, we managed to find ours at £10 per night, to include showers/toilets/laundry/ hook-up. Basic, but we want for no more really!

Interesting thing is, we have two other full timers on site. Now one uses his heater in the van, and is there most of the time - the other refuses to use anything in order to pay as little as possible and remains self sufficient with his own power etc.

So the way people use the site seems to vary - many actually help out on the site, with grass cutting, cleaning the toilets etc - which the owners take into consideration on the site fees, which is a way of cutting costs, not only to the owners but to the full timer.

A time-served full timer could be trusted as a warden eventually cutting the costs of employing someone to man the site.

As for mainstream sites, these are GENERALLY more expensive - but keep your ears open and your search engine busy......though a little far away, a much bigger site with bar and pool is offering seasonal rates of £500/year!!

Another main-name branded site, has wisened up to the growing numbers of full-timers, and is offering fees at an alledged £5 per night for a full commercial site. I have yet to check this out, but it is one of the most popular tourist sites in the county, and one many of you would have stayed on at some point.

Others I have seen are adopting 'flat rate' policy of £15/night all year. This would be hard to get into, but great for full timers in the summer months, but winter months pushes it over the the edge in terms of pricing.

So really they do seem to vary! Iteresting how the mainstream sites seem to be looking at the full timers situation though - still, I always prefer the smaller CL sites - they need the money more, and it helps them keep going.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A time-served full timer could be trusted as a warden eventually cutting the costs of employing someone to man the site.

I did this as a favour while staying on a CL while the owners went on holiday .. and in return they waived the site fees for that period.... however. it was only a CL , there was little to do except book guests in and out and take the fees..

What I wouldn't do is work full time as a warden for little more than a free pitch which many of the smaller sites offer.. no thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I keep a spreadsheet recording our fuel and camping costs, I have it for the last 4 years.

Last year (May 2010 to May 2011) overall we averaged £7.26 a night. This included 6 months on one site in Spain ( €250 a month) and a total of 58 nights either house sitting or staying on people's drives or French Aires.

If you and the rock star come and visit Quinta Majay little Sis and choose to hang around a little while, you will be able to reduce your cost per night average this year.

Each and every night on QMJ is free... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Of course there might be an old hippy standing in the moonlight singing "Blue Moon" every now and then... whilst checking for little frogs in the grass...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't blame you! The woman that owns the site we are on never seems to stop!:thumb:

exactly.. it's a long day and hard work..

imagine this job advert

Wanted

Man or woman to work in my factory.

Duties: Cleaning toilets, cutting grass, office duties and attending to bookings, dealing with complaints.

Hours by arrangement , up to 16 hrs per day On standby 24/7

Holidays .. none
Sick pay .. none

Enumeration .... £0.00

Perks.. free accommodation in caravan

Unbelievably these jobs do exist !! and even more unbelievably people do them :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back