Fuel rationing.new one on me. (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You use more fuel in neutral than if you went, say, 5th to 4th. On over-run the ecu will cut ALL fuel into the engine, but in neutral you are using fuel to keep the engine running.
That's true but in neutral you're not being slowed down by engine braking 🤔

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Engine off on down hills then

I figure you're joking, but just in case someone doesn't know. Don't do this. You have no power steering, brakes will loose assistance and, if you're really clever, you'll engage the steering lock as well lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I figure you're joking, but just in case someone doesn't know. Don't do this. You have no power steering, brakes will loose assistance and, if you're really clever, you'll engage the steering lock as well lol
I assume you are all joking if you are talking about fuel saving on a brick of a motorhome.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Petrol shortage.................you would think drivers would slow down to get better mpg but that doesn't seem to be the case. I had to drive to Bodmin yesterday and the Bodmin bypass outside lane was full of motorists driving almost bumper to bumper traveling at well over the speed limit, perhaps they have all found a garage that has fuel with no queues!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Petrol shortage.................you would think drivers would slow down to get better mpg but that doesn't seem to be the case. I had to drive to Bodmin yesterday and the Bodmin bypass outside lane was full of motorists driving almost bumper to bumper traveling at well over the speed limit, perhaps they have all found a garage that has fuel with no queues!
They are here. All the mums in their massive road going 4x4s that normally whizz past me are now doing 50mph, not the 80+ that’s normal.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They are here. All the mums in their massive road going 4x4s that normally whizz past me are now doing 50mph, not the 80+ that’s normal.
Just goes to show doesn't it, nobody gives a toss about emissions and saving the planet, as long as fuel is plentiful we'll waste it.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I had a VW LT35 LWB HR [beloved by Couriers!] for my brief foray into the world of retail merchandising, and discovered the joys of the engine going into 'limp mode' without warning, but it would reset if you turned the engine off and then restarted it. This seemed to be a common problem' judging by the number of comments on the LT35 Forum I belonged to; one Member, a courier from Birmingham, with a Van that had covered 440,000+ miles posted 'It's not nice when the limp mode happens when you're in the outside lane of the M6 and are dropping speed DOWN TO 80mph, but you just switch off, wait 2 seconds, and switch back on again. Done it lots of times ...' [That's how I discovered the reset fix, but I chose the safer option of doing it whilst stationary ...]

Steve

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I heard a fuel company spokesman say that for taxation/compatibility reasons they would not be mixing E10 with E5 in the same retail filling station tanks so I guess that they wanted every litre of E5 cleared through their storage and distribution chain and the retail tanks. This meant that instead of just topping them up the tanks with E5 had to become completely empty before they would deliver any E10. I imagine this has now been achieved but it caused the ongoing 'shortage' panic.
Besides, if you had a mix of E5 and E10 would you have to change the pump labelling to 'E Seven and a Half' to satisfy Trading Standards?
:?

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Were you in Park Gate, Southampton the other day? Saw the "adventure before dementia" logo on the back of a van we were following!
Not me am afraid….. but there are plenty of us keen to have fun before it’s too late!! (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Back in the late 60s it was utter bliss after sitting at 47 mph the length of th M One in my Foden 8 legger to hit the top of the hill at Markfield J22 ,,knock it into neutral and freewheel at up to 70mph all the way nearly to EMA,,BUSBY,,😀😀

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Had to fill up wife's car today. Wasn't too bad. First station (BP) closed. Second station (Esso) 50 car queue, tiny station, probably at least an hour's wait. Third station (Gulf), drove straight to a pump (although there was a short queue when I left).

However, the somewhat enterprising owner had a massive display of 20 litre metal jerry cans. £30 for one, £50 for two. £60 for one pre-filled with diesel. I don't think he was intending to calm down any panic buying.

Deleted User
All liquids are transported in tanks no? Anyone run out of milk yet? 😁

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can't be any shortage in cornwall as my mates down there on a long weekend from Devon & said he refilled without any problems?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013

No, it isn't.

"Overrun Fuel Cut (or OFC for short) is a method used by some OEM ECUs to turn off fuel injection under certain conditions - such as rolling down hill with the throttle closed (ie under engine braking.) It can help with fuel economy and cylinder cooling if correctly configured."

From

If you Google over-run fuel cut-off (no idea what you searched for lol) you can find many more references.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No, it isn't.

"Overrun Fuel Cut (or OFC for short) is a method used by some OEM ECUs to turn off fuel injection under certain conditions - such as rolling down hill with the throttle closed (ie under engine braking.) It can help with fuel economy and cylinder cooling if correctly configured."

From

If you Google over-run fuel cut-off (no idea what you searched for lol) you can find many more references.
I had a car, think it was the diesel Arosa, that if you touch the brake pedal accidentally while driving the throttle closed.
On the van I can see the fuel is cut because coasting down hill in neutral the computer shows mpg might be 75, but coasting down hill in gear it's 99+ 👍

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Er, no. Almost all modern ICE cars completely cut the fuel when the engine is in gear, above idle speed with no throttle demand, provided certain conditions are met (i.e. engine up to temperature etc.)

There would not be a sudden massive braking effect, as the power required to continue engine compressions is only slight compared with the energy levels in the car being used to drive them. There would be a very slight increase in natural engine braking compared with a similar carb or first generation injection car without overrun fuel cutout.

As for fuel savings, that would depend on your driving scenario. If you are slowing down for traffic lights, FCO will improve economy, as you won't need to spend idle fuel for the period in which you are slowing, whilst coasting would engage idle fuelling. If you are going down hill, ready to power up the other side, using FCO in gear will actually result in a very slight increase of consumption compared to going to neutral, despite the fact that it will be using idle fuelling going down hill. This is because the fuel energy used by idling at 700rpm is less than than the kinetic energy absorbed compressing the cylinders at 2000rpm for the same period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back