Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I need some help here please.

It’s getting cold here in Madrid (it was 4 degs C last night) and it’s about time to empty the fresh water tank and Truma 4 boiler

I’ve only had the van less than a year so I’m a bit unprepared for the winter weather. First thing, open the grey waste valve and leave open. As I understand it I need to empty the FW tank by turning all the taps on (sink, washbasin and shower mid-way between H and C) When the FW tank is empty will the boiler also be empty ?

On the frost control safety drain valve - I will turn the blue diamond shaped valve at the top 90 or 180 degrees (not sure which) and the blue button at the bottom will pop out and if there’s any water left in the boiler it should drain itself from the drain outlet

Then I leave all the taps in the open position between H and C, the frost control button out and that’s it for the water protection

Please advise if I’ve got this right or not.

Many thanks.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I would peg mine open unless it was going to be minus temperatures inside the motorhome.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I dont think the frost valve empties the fresh water tank ...just the boiler I think, at least that's true on our Ducato.
I also have to go into the rear and undo a valve above the fresh water tank to drain that. A couple of turns drains all but 20 lts, and a full "undoing" of the valve drains it 100%

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I recently (after owning the van for over 10 years!) found that the taps just downstream of the water pump actually have a "drain" position so that any water left in the pipes can safely drain away. That'll be an extra job later this week when I get it "winterised"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I dont think the frost valve empties the fresh water tank ...just the boiler I think, at least that's true on our Ducato.

Hi Ernesto. I don't think that's what I said. What I asked was if I drain the FW tank trough the taps will this empty the boiler or will the boiler only empty through the frost control safety valve

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Ernesto. I don't think that's what I said. What I asked was if I drain the FW tank trough the taps will this empty the boiler or will the boiler only empty through the frost control safety valve
It’s best to drain the system through the taps AND. drain the boiler by opening the valve. Valve normally turns through 90 degrees to change between open and closed positions. Mine drains to the ground outside so I put a bowl under. A normal amount would be 10 litres out of the boiler.
Leave taps in open position hallway between hot and cold of mixer type.
You may also have a filter in a small glass/plastic bowl. This can crack if water in it freezes so belt and braces would be to empty the filter too.
E564AD75-D940-4979-B64E-F8EF42A967DB.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Ok - just not sure you can 100% drain the FW tank via the taps so thought I'd highlight that theres another valve to consider

I'd suggest opening all 4 - grey valve, frost valve, taps and fresh water drain valve - to be 100% sure

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
basically open everything Graham..
Taps, shower, boiler drain valve, safety frost valve, fresh water drain tap and grey water drain tap.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'd question being able to drain the F/W tank just by using the taps. This assumes the pump pickup is right at the bottom of the tank, which it may well be designed to be, but would be easy to dislodge.

Some vans have a separate valve to drain the tank - mine has a rubber bung in the bottom, accessible through a hatch in the floor and a screw-off cover on top of the tank. Why manufacturers make things so difficult when the simplest solution, like mine, is the easiest and cheapest, beggars belief!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Can't go wrong with that HandyAndy - cheers

If I'm to measure the 10 litres (by opening the valve) would this be affected by draining the FW tank first ? just need to know that the boiler is fully drained as that worries me more than anything else

My FW tank has something I can open at the bottom if I stick my hand in through the top but I have a 7cm thick floor so I´m not so worried about anything in the FW tank freezing. Am I wrong

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I´ll turn the pump off, take the keys outta the ignition and remember to set the alarm and lock the doors !

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
You don't need to measure anything... If it's pissing water on the floor after you flick the drain valve open or pop the frost switch open then it'll keep going til it's empty..

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just thought. If any tank, pipe etc has say 10% of its water left in , is this an issue?, as there is room for the frozen water to expand into?

( I get as much out as possible , but haven't yet taken pipes off the pump)

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
as long as the expansion of it, as it freezes, has somewhere to go... no.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
On top of draining all fluids I purchased this off amazon yesterday, arrived earlier.
It will be set to 5°c and plugged into a small heater. MH is on hookup in the drive
BF0B65FA-3A06-4336-ADE5-1EDFAA05C4EF.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My submersible pump in the FW tank has a non-return valve incorporated in the body, so the outlet pipe and pump do not drain and frost could damage them, so I disconnect the pump from the pipe which drains the residue from the pipe and then shake water out of the pump.

Maybe OTT but pumps are not cheap and not always easily obtainable so better sure than sorry.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Just thought. If any tank, pipe etc has say 10% of its water left in , is this an issue?, as there is room for the frozen water to expand into?

( I get as much out as possible , but haven't yet taken pipes off the pump)
my thought entirely. It´s not like it´s corrosive and will eat stuff

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Drained ours down today as I don’t think we will be out for a few weeks.
I pull the plug out of the fresh water tank and also drain the boiler down through the frost valve while leaving the taps in the on position. When that’s all drained I remove the shower head and connect a small compressor up to the pipe and blow the pipes out, you would be surprised how much water it blows out.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Potty said:
Make sure you turn all the taps back on before you next fill up with water. Been there, done that!
All the taps that drain from tanks, like the FW & WH
But leave the sink & shower tap on so that air is release as you fill. Still with the pump off tho :eek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Grrr .. just cleaned the cassette. Yes that's probably the most prone to risk on the van

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back