Front wheel Drive Sprinter (2 Viewers)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A

A rear axle diff. will be a very significant expense. Although I'm at this moment on a train to collect a Merc based van I've never been sold on RWD. It works but reversing a FWD carefully works too. I'm hoping the twin rear wheels will be a significant feature though.

But its not easy to reverse all the way up a mountain pass!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
not in snow

Have you ever seen army vehicles fitted with twin wheels?? When we ran off road tippers years ago we always fitted wide singles on the rear in place of twins just for the traction,,BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Twin wheels give less traction than wide singles but unfortunately i have never seen wide singles fitted to the rear of panel vans or motorhomes,,BUSBY,,
Go on then you have got me interested, I can understand that one tyre would be more compliant than twins on less than flat surface but what is the argument.

Martin

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Have you ever seen army vehicles fitted with twin wheels?? When we ran off road tippers years ago we always fitted wide singles on the rear in place of twins just for the traction,,BUSBY,,

Can't say I have.

But a Land Rover with skinny tyres, usually grips better in snow than a Range Rover with Wide Low Profile tyres.

Thats why a Sprinter with twin narrow 195/70/15 tyres, will grip better than A Sprinter with Super Single 285/65R16C !?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Go on then you have got me interested, I can understand that one tyre would be more compliant than twins on less than flat surface but what is the argument.

Martin

Martin
Having driven both I have always thought..only my opinion that single wheels gave better traction off road..May be just me but do not see off road vehicles fitted with twins..army..forestry commisson etc..BUSBY.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am only referring to grip in Snow. Not Formula 1 Slicks.
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 10.37.32.png

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is no definitive right or wrong , as the variables once you get off a smooth road (bitumen) are so many , eg up to a certain depth of snow you want a narrow tyre to cut thru , then you need width to get flotation . Tread pattern and weight , wet grass, deep mud, gravel , that's why even Tatra probably the kings of offroad vehicles
have different tyre widths for different vehicle usage , and in some cases come as standard with tyre inflation / and deflation available on the move. The variable can even be as small as depth of standing water on bitumen.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
MB have a good list of pros as listed below to entice MH converters, and I do love that dash boards clean modern lines. Hymer MLT purchasers will be happy, not sure about the price being attractive, but MLT owners will be used to that I suppose.
Mercedes Sprinter for campervan conversion:
  • Wide array of body variants to suit all types of camper conversion – the new Traction Head version (which basically stops aft of the b-pillar...) made possible by front-wheel drive should be particularly interesting to converters
  • Car-level luxury from available equipment and trim finishing – including power pivoting seats and the latest safety and assistance systems
  • Optional electronic parking brake – frees up space in the cab and makes moving from the front to the rear compartment more straightforward
  • New digital control possibilities turn the Sprinter into a ‘smart home’ – with remote app access to vehicle status, and more to come in the future
  • Latest mapping and traffic tech means you’ll not only avoid congestion but also low bridges, narrow roads and weight restrictions (apparently)
  • Lots of safety tech – including the standard-fit Crosswind Assist
  • New all-season tyres developed for especially long ‘idle’ times – meaning they can sit between trips without perishing
  • Air suspension for improved comfort, all-wheel drive for added traction
  • Pre-installation for windscreen heaters, reinforced seat bases, active cruise control and blind spot monitors for fully-integrated campervans
  • ‘Hibernation mode’ to save energy and make re-starting after lengthy idle periods straightforward
Thanks for posting Lenny
Les

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Can't say I have.

But a Land Rover with skinny tyres, usually grips better in snow than a Range Rover with Wide Low Profile tyres.

Thats why a Sprinter with twin narrow 195/70/15 tyres, will grip better than A Sprinter with Super Single 285/65R16C !?
Morris Minor vans were brilliant for that reason.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have had Sprinters Vans and busses from the day they replaced the old T2 Transporter. They were a major transformation and far better then the T2. Then they went to the newer 2000 Model with the gear lever on the dash. That was when we started to have problems with my fleet.

Just been reminded from another post....

''If the gearstick's on the floor, rush around and buy some more
But if the gearstick's on the dash, get outa there in a flash''

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Having driven both I have always thought..only my opinion that single wheels gave better traction off road..May be just me but do not see off road vehicles fitted with twins..army..forestry commisson etc..BUSBY.
Ah OK I thought I was in for some science:LOL: for off roading a big single is going to be the No1 choice for sure, for a motorhome in a wet field as long as the footprint to stop it sinking is the same OK, but even if the tyres could take the load I wouldn't put our van on single rear wheels of the asme size as it would just sink.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Ah OK I thought I was in for some science:LOL: for off roading a big single is going to be the No1 choice for sure, for a motorhome in a wet field as long as the footprint to stop it sinking is the same OK, but even if the tyres could take the load I wouldn't put our van on single rear wheels of the asme size as it would just sink.

Martin
Science from me...no no no..thick bugger me..only go on my experience of life..BUSBY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back