Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
On seat belt Mounts. I go with Geo on that. Assuming there is no significant corrosion within 12? inch of a mounting point. They are as safe as the vehicle, I always though the primary purpose was to prevent the "body" being "ejected" from the vehicle?. My (1971) Herald has "factory" seat belt mounts which are little more than 3" square plates with a welded Nut on the outside of the floor pan and the Shaft Tunnel. When fitted the seat belt force puts the whole into "Shear" (ie attempting to tear the structure) NOT directly rip the bolt out, which from a structural point of view, is probably the better option. I could post pictures but that means tracking through the snow to the garage with the camera!!.:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Mikeco I don't want to retain the side seat but to convert to a rear front facing only.
My MoHo is a Bailey Approach 740 which has 2 side facing seats I want to convert to the same set up as the Bailey Approach 745 which is identical to mine with the exception of the 1 offside bench (mine) to the rear front facing with seat belts
This is so we can accommodate our grandchild to travel with us in her car seat hope that explains in detail :):)

You can't "convert" the existing one. Forget it.

Your only option is to completely replace it with something suitable to be used as a travelling seat. Even then if there is no suitable structural steel to mount it to you still can't do it.

Once you've done all that you need to have the work inspected and signed off by a DVSA approved engineer and then apply to have your V5 updated.

Of course you could ignore all that, do a DIY job and hope for the best. Entirely up to you. It's your families lives you will be risking.

OP
OP
W

Willmart

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I've just realised a mistake in the heading it should read as
Side Bench Seat not Front Bench Seat by bad sorry :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've just realised a mistake in the heading it should read as
Side Bench Seat not Front Bench Seat by bad sorry :eek:
a side bench seat cannot be converted for seatbelts

OP
OP
W

Willmart

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
My intention is not to convert said side bench seat but to remove said bench seat and to replace with forward facing seat with seat belts
Hope this clarifies to all you helpful caring Funsters :D :D :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could consider changing the front single passenger seat for a double one (ie as you get in normal vans) but obviously this would mean you couldn't then move it round, or the driver's one either, or be able to get through to the back from the cab.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
HAS NOBODY HEARD OF VEHICLE TYPE APPROVAL?

All this advice is irrelevant on a recent vehicle as the seats need to be crash tested and meet type approval. then the v5c updated with DVSA to take account of more designated travel seats. Then TRY and insure the modified vehicle
You are correct, this is what we did. That is why you need the right seat with the relevant paperwork, you can't just stick any old seat in or without the correct mountings which in my view can only be a good thing. You obviously couldn't mount it to the floor of a coachbuilt but would need the correct framework built onto the chassis and don't forget the weight increase. We had no trouble increasing the no of belted seats on the V5 but did send copies of all the paperwork (about 10 pages).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back