Fridges and service intervals (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a 2010 Rapido with a Dometic fridge and separate freezer above. The fridge has never been serviced and is working fine; the question is how often should they be serviced and is it an easy process to do yourself? I would guess it's the gas element that is the weakest link as we never service domestic fridges at home.

Any help on service intervals and the possibility of a diy operation would be appreciated. Cheers

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The clue would be in the "it's working fine" statement, if you want to do something possibly a clean of the flue but if it is working fine you might find it clean anyway as its usually when its burning sooty that it soots up the flue.

An balance I would most likely just leave it and be thankful its working fine.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
According to the Dometic manual, if running mainly on gas the appliance should be serviced at least every 6 months.
As I understand it, this would mainly be to keep the flue and burner clean.

I have a long bottle brush for this job and carry a spare burner jet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Appears to be pot luck when they need doing, tend to soot up if the gas oily residue as got through the regulator. A slight correction to @Robert Clark 's service time. They now state if running on gas the burner should be inspected and cleaned if neccessary once a year. If running on LPG (Autogas) the burner may need cleaning 2 to 3 times a year.
Our first Hymer I serviced the fridge after 3 years it had only run on Autogas (only 2 days on mains in that time), chimney & burner clean as a whistle, last van sold it before it was 3 years old so never looked at it.

I would take the baffel out of the chimney and if it is black & sooty it's time for a service. Easier to do it at home than in the middle of a trip.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Appears to be pot luck when they need doing, tend to soot up if the gas oily residue as got through the regulator. A slight correction to @Robert Clark 's service time. They now state if running on gas the burner should be inspected and cleaned if neccessary once a year. If running on LPG (Autogas) the burner may need cleaning 2 to 3 times a year.
Our first Hymer I serviced the fridge after 3 years it had only run on Autogas (only 2 days on mains in that time), chimney & burner clean as a whistle, last van sold it before it was 3 years old so never looked at it.

I would take the baffel out of the chimney and if it is black & sooty it's time for a service. Easier to do it at home than in the middle of a trip.
And if you can get at the baffle as some are easier than others, and not all gas fridges have baffles in the chimney.

Martin

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Haven't got a chimney on ours just vents in the side wall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back