Fridge, failure on all 3 systems (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Hi all,

Currently in France and our 8505 Dometic fridge freezer seems NOT to be working on any system, 12v, gas or electric!

It has been fine for the past 2 weeks on the drive, and ok for the first night on gas but not now, not overly hot here

Any help apprieciated

Andy

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Presumably the gas is ignited electrically, so the problem could be electrical if you haven't run out of gas. When you try to start it on gas do you hear the ignition sparking, like on the cooker? Try listening by the bottom vent outside.

Alternatively, does your gas system have a crash sensitive shut-off valve that might have triggered? Ours is reset by pressing a green button close to the regulator in the gas bottle compartment.

When you say it's not working on 12v, you're saying that some sort of indicator light that normally shows when the engine's on is no longer showing, or it's bleeping a warning at you? All that 12v does is maintain the existing temperature rather than cool it down, so if one of the other two systems has failed the 12v isn't going to make it any colder.

Electrical issues could be down to a fuse blowing. Check your main fuse board, wherever that might be. It varies from vehicle to vehicle.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Things that are common to all three energy sources include:

12V supply
Control panel/board.

Have you checked the 12V fuse for the fridge?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Does the lcd display fuction correctly? Ours would not switch on and part of display was missing. The ribbon cable from control panel to pcb on rear of fridge was not fully pushed home on pcb.
If display is dead also check the 12 v supply to fridge is present at rear of fridge. Not the 12v for cooling with engine , the 12v control supply.

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Msb

Fridge ignites on gas ok, just temp does not drop, currently 16.8`, same on electric, so 12v just maintaining it

No shut off valve

Thank you

Andy

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Bigtwin

Have 12v at fridge, checked out on multimeter

Thanks

Andy

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Sandral

Lcd display ok, changes between functions fine just temp not dropping

Thanks

Andy

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If the 12V supply is ok and you're sure that the gas has ignited (can you feel hot air coming out of the top vent?), then that suggests to me that the refrigerant is not circulating properly.

Is the van level?

Ian

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Van is level and heat coming out of top vent, also took top vent off and put small fan in to remove heat, but still no change!

Andy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Presumably the gas is ignited electrically, so the problem could be electrical if you haven't run out of gas. When you try to start it on gas do you hear the ignition sparking, like on the cooker? Try listening by the bottom vent outside.

Alternatively, does your gas system have a crash sensitive shut-off valve that might have triggered? Ours is reset by pressing a green button close to the regulator in the gas bottle compartment.

When you say it's not working on 12v, you're saying that some sort of indicator light that normally shows when the engine's on is no longer showing, or it's bleeping a warning at you? All that 12v does is maintain the existing temperature rather than cool it down, so if one of the other two systems has failed the 12v isn't going to make it any colder.

Electrical issues could be down to a fuse blowing. Check your main fuse board, wherever that might be. It varies from vehicle to vehicle.
This isn't true and keeps being stated as fact. If the fridge 12v supply from the starter battery (used whilst travelling) is in fact 12v or more the fridge will work better than when its on hook-up. If it doesn't it is because the supply wiring is too thin.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
T
This isn't true and keeps being stated as fact. If the fridge 12v supply from the starter battery (used whilst travelling) is in fact 12v or more the fridge will work better than when its on hook-up. If it doesn't it is because the supply wiring is too thin.
the 12v element and the 220v element work pretty much the same.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ours has a blip every now and then. Fridge works but temp not what it should be. I take off the outside covers, tap the coolant pipes, turn fridge up to max and most times it works, or a drive sorts it. The pipes corrode from the inside and get blocked, tapping them unsettles it and it carries on. I expect one day it won but untill then that's what I do.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I stand corrected on the theoretical superpowers of the 12v element then, though I've yet to see any evidence myself :)

@Drexxer - our fridge once failed to chill below 16 degrees but it was as hot as Hades outside, which I suspect is not the case for you. Another possibility might be the thermostat control (dial? buttons?) or possibly the temperature sensor that sits inside the chiller compartment. Surely it has to be a component that's common to all three power sources.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't think it'll be the thermostat because I don't think the thermostat is used to control 12V.
Did the fridge fail slowly (cool progressively less well)? It may be that you have lost the coolant/Ammonia.

Reactions: JJ

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sorry to say that it sounds like a problem condenser unit, just had mine replaced inside warranty on a 2 year old 8555. We had a failure initially on EHU, it was hot at the element and shroud but not cooling below 15, so switched to gas and it worked, ran on gas for 2 days then switched to EHU and all fine. But as it was inside warranty engineer suggested replacing condenser. Easy to do but costly if out of warranty. I would switch off completely for 3-4 hours, you will lose your frozen stuff, then when system cooled and gas reurned to settle as liquid in condenser switch back onto gas and remain so as its heating is more aggressive so if its just a circulation problem it will blast it through? If not looks like a new condenser. You will need to do a cost analysis as it may be more cost effective to replace the fridge.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If replacing the fridge, consider a compressor type if you have solar and good battery. You can also get compressor kits to fit onto an existing fridge/box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back