Fresh water tank drain plug - Arto 2008 (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I cannot believe I am asking this but I am !!

I want to drain the fresh water tank completely, the manual says that there is a drain plug directly below the water tank access hatch as per this image from the manual.

Mine looks exactly like this except there is no plug just the drain, this is a mystery as to why there is no plug. The plug hole defo has not got anything clear (clingfilm or similar) blocking it. The tank is pretty well full.

This tank setup looks pretty well identical to my old hymer and that defo had a plug.

Do any other Arto owners have any insight on this?

Thanks

B.
1680632615021.png

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe there was a change from our 2003 Arto to your 2008 model, but drain hole is just a bath plug type.

Does the plug in the photo not pull out? If not, does the new model screw out?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our Eura Mobil had a plug with a handle, when the handles flat it expanded the rubber bung, lift it and pull it out, you haven't got anything like that in your tank have you. šŸ¤”šŸ˜Ž Bob.
Bobs  our van 003.jpgBobs  our van 002.jpg

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe there was a change from our 2003 Arto to your 2008 model, but drain hole is just a bath plug type.

Does the plug in the photo not pull out? If not, does the new model screw out?
The crazy thing is that in my tank there is no plug !! I can feel the grating with my fingers, it looks identical to the manual photo which I attached but minus the plug.

I wondered if there was a hidden tap not mentioned in the manual.

Something is keeping the water in the tank, that is for certain.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Our Eura Mobil had a plug with a handle, when the handles flat it expanded the rubber bung, lift it and pull it out, you haven't got anything like that in your tank have you. šŸ¤”šŸ˜Ž Bob.
View attachment 736382View attachment 736383
No nothing like that, just a sink hole drain like in the image that I posted minus a plug !!

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I donā€™t know Artoā€™s that well but jongood should know, if theyā€™re not a services locker with a drain tap? There was in our Flair.
Yes there is a service locker in garage but it seemed like those drain taps were more to do with draining the water circuits down, of course the grey water drain is behind the wheel.

I am surprised at how different that things are done on this Arto to say the Hymer 644 that we had, you would have thought that they would be cousins in build but that is certainly not the case.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes there is a service locker in garage but it seemed like those drain taps were more to do with draining the water circuits down, of course the grey water drain is behind the wheel.

I am surprised at how different that things are done on this Arto to say the Hymer 644 that we had, you would have thought that they would be cousins in build but that is certainly not the case.

I do not know how old your B644 was but when I was looking to buy I had the B644 in mind and called at Hymer(UK) near Preston to enquire if they had a S/H one. No but they had the N&B Arto equivalent. I immediately could sense a difference.

I bought my Arto (2003) in 2009 and still have it.

Even after the Hymer Group take-over of N&B and the Thor Industries take-over of the Hymer Group, the owners seem to have left the N&B operation alone to plough its own furrow.

Yes they are 'cousins' financially, but I think Hymer have learnt more from N&B than the other way, e.g. aluminium sandwich construction, which I think I am right in saying, was used by N&B before Hymer.

Sorry, bit of a diversion, but I hope you sort your drain problem.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
An interesting diversion though.

I remember the Hymer had the blue electrical gear (Schlaudt spelling may not be right) but the Niesmann has CBE electrics.

The previous owner (originally purchaser) had done a few strange modifications in places but I am getting that sorted as I go.

I have to say that it is nice seeing very limited amounts of wood in a motorhome, really limited to a bit of furniture in the N&B and it is as dry as a bone inside.

I will figure the water tank drain, I was just hoping for a 'you fool why did you not do that' type of answer.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
An interesting diversion though.

I remember the Hymer had the blue electrical gear (Schlaudt spelling may not be right) but the Niesmann has CBE electrics.

The previous owner (originally purchaser) had done a few strange modifications in places but I am getting that sorted as I go.

I have to say that it is nice seeing very limited amounts of wood in a motorhome, really limited to a bit of furniture in the N&B and it is as dry as a bone inside.

I will figure the water tank drain, I was just hoping for a 'you fool why did you not do that' type of answer.
I'm trying hard to remember, have you found the top of the tanks with a big spin off red disc? I have a feeling there was like a sink plug affair inside. Letting it out of the 40mm pipe below the service locker. Or there might be 2 levers in the service locker

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I'm trying hard to remember, have you found the top of the tanks with a big spin off red disc? I have a feeling there was like a sink plug affair inside. Letting it out of the 40mm pipe below the service locker. Or there might be 2 levers in the service locker
Yes exactly like you say apart from there is no plug in the hole !! It looks exactly like a sink plug hole but there is no plug.

Most strange.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes exactly like you say apart from there is no plug in the hole !! It looks exactly like a sink plug hole but there is no plug.

Most strange.
Sorry missed the first part. Do you have the external service locker? I think my 2010 Rto had 2 pipes with a handle on each one was grey water and one fresh?

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Yes there is a service locker accessed from the garage, there are two taps to drain the water pipes down and then a third tap but that looks to be part of the same circuit, I will get some pictures after breakfast.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
OK so here are some photo's.

One shows the taps in the service area, I am pretty sure these are to do with getting a partial filling of the water tank and secondly to drain the water pipes rather than the tank in total.

The big pipe at the bottom of the picture is the grey water waste and that goes to a tap that is just out of the photo, no problem there.

The second photo shows the drain hole with no plug but still holding water

.DSC_3309.JPG

DSC_3310.JPG

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our 09 Arto has a plug and when you remove it the water drains.
The only thing I found was there was leak from the plug wonder if the previous owner had the same problem and blocked the outlet

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
The only thing I found was there was leak from the plug wonder if the previous owner had the same problem and blocked the outlet
OK that is a good theory, I will get underneath in a little while.

Going by some of the other repairs and mods such a solution could have well featured in the previous owners mindset.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Full marks to hchris, go to the top of the class

Here is the culprit.

Thanks for everyones inputs.

DSC_3311.JPG

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
As an add on to this. I have the same plug in my Roller Team but have recently found that it leaks. It's the type where the plug sits in the hole and you then push it at right angles to tighten the plug and seal. Any ideas where I can buy one of these. Cheers

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
As an add on to this. I have the same plug in my Roller Team but have recently found that it leaks. It's the type where the plug sits in the hole and you then push it at right angles to tighten the plug and seal. Any ideas where I can buy one of these. Cheers
Not sure I understand you.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do not understand the complications.

Our 2003 Arto has what is shown in pic #2 in post #18.

We take the red screwed top off the fresh tank and there is that drain, into which fits a standard bath plug.

Pull out the plug and gravity drains the water though the hole. Simples.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I do not understand the complications.

Our 2003 Arto has what is shown in pic #2 in post #18.

We take the red screwed top off the fresh tank and there is that drain, into which fits a standard bath plug.

Pull out the plug and gravity drains the water though the hole. Simples.
It had a wine cork pushed up into the exit tube (see post 21), which I had to get underneath to see/find. God only know why that was done? once I found it I tugged it out and put a plug from the hardware shop in from the top, just like you describe and that I had on the B644 some years ago.

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
Not sure I understand you.
Hi. It's the white plug which is in the original picture on this topic. It has a plug with a lever which when you push it down pulls up the inner to expand the plug. Cheers It's in Bob and Janine's reply.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Hi. It's the white plug which is in the original picture on this topic. It has a plug with a lever which when you push it down pulls up the inner to expand the plug. Cheers It's in Bob and Janine's reply.
OK I have no idea where that type comes from, I can imagine how it works now.

This N&B just has a sink plug type of thing, I went up to the hardware shop and got one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back