French Toll Tag for MH over 3m and > 3500Kg? (1 Viewer)

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Last year the co-pilot often struggled to do all the contortions needed to climb half out of the cab window to insert the credit card into the toll machine on French motorways.

We learned the hard way that our van, which is a tiny bit over 3m, takes us into Class 3. So I thought I'd solve the problem and get a tag from Sanef. But it turns out that Liber-T doesn't cover Class 3.

Looking at the website for the alternative - Eurotoll - it seems only to be for fleet managers.

Are there any funsters with a Class 3 or higher MH who've got themselves a tag? And if so can you advise ?

Otherwise it looks like the co-pilot will have to continue her Beth Tweddle impersonation each time we roll up to the exit pay machine!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I might well be wrong but i thought all motorhomes are class 2 if you tell them at the toll so maybe a pre paid class two would do it.

Deleted User
I might well be wrong but i thought all motorhomes are class 2 if you tell them at the toll so maybe a pre paid class two would do it.

You are wrong, some get away with class 2 but if you are over the limits then you are class 3 or 4 in the case of our 5'er.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are a smidge over you might get away with pressing the button and pleading "camping car Class 2 SVP" but if you are well over you will be Class 3 or even Class 4 for a tag/tandem axle.

Martin

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I have had a Sanef tag for 4 years i am 5 ton and 3.3 m high I get through on most toll booths at class 2 but if it refuses I always argue I am a camping car and most of the time I get through OK. However I lost the argument twice and it was quite expensive at class 4 but worth the money as I don't have to climb over all the time to take a ticket and pay.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I've just met a couple in Spain who have a Burstner overcab tag axle and they only paid class 2 all through France explaining at the toll they where a motorhome, my van is also over 4tons and I only get charged class 2

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have a Sanef tag for my Eriba, under 3500kg, 2.2m

Can I just carry on using it for my new van - 3850kg, 2.8m + sat dome?

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I've just met a couple in Spain who have a Burstner overcab tag axle and they only paid class 2 all through France explaining at the toll they where a motorhome, my van is also over 4tons and I only get charged class 2
The last time I got charged they said I had too many wheels so I was class 4. But normally no problem.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have a Sanef tag for my Eriba, under 3500kg, 2.2m

Can I just carry on using it for my new van - 3850kg, 2.8m + sat dome?

I'm aware of some people who use a Tag on a 3850 Kg MH and get charged at Classe 2 (whistles innocently). The tag isn't vehicle specific.

To my mind if you're going to get charged Classe 2 at every booth anyway regardless of weight (we did), you might as well have the Liber-T Tag if you're a bit above 3.5 tonnes. The booths and gates monitor height, not weight. The issue for you might be how much over 3m the dome is. I think the monitoring system is supposed to make allowances for domes but it doesn't always.

God bless Bip & Go - it's worth the few extra Euros for the sheer bloody convenience.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Errr Class 3
I think not
we are 4.5 tonnes and 3.3 m high
When the display shows class 3
The co pilot presses the button and talk to the
person on the other end and says
"ju swee camping car, class du Merci"
and her lovely nothern twang makes light work of French as you can tell
and Hey Presto the display changes to class 2
and the co pilot then pays on our credit or debit card.

You have been over paying significantly

Deleted User
Errr Class 3
I think not
we are 4.5 tonnes and 3.3 m high
When the display shows class 3
The co pilot presses the button and talk to the
person on the other end and says
"ju swee camping car, class du Merci"
and her lovely nothern twang makes light work of French as you can tell
and Hey Presto the display changes to class 2
and the co pilot then pays on our credit or debit card.

You have been over paying significantly

I think you need to look at the toll companies regulations, the tolls are decided on height, weight and number of axles, there is no special exemption for motorhomes.

Anyone that gets away with class 2 when they are class 3 is simply lucky and I would suggest that the operatives give in rather than getting involved in an argument in a foreign language.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Varies for me some manned tolls charge me class 2 others class 3.
Have agree that their is nothing that I have found in the info given out by the toll companies that mention discounts for motorhomes.

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
The booths and gates monitor height, not weight. The issue for you might be how much over 3m the dome is. I think the monitoring system is supposed to make allowances for domes but it doesn't always.

God bless Bip & Go - it's worth the few extra Euros for the sheer bloody convenience.

We're actually only 3.1 high so it's really marginal but their measuring device is pretty steely-eyed and hits us for Class 3 every time. We did try the 'Je Suis CampingCar " once but it didn't work, so we haven't tried again. Maybe we should. I think the difference in price for the two classes is around 50% more.

I'd happily pay for Bip& Go, but don't want to be not let through - with all the anxiety that having annoyed drivers in vehicles stuck behind you brings. And sadly Bip & Go doesn't include Class 3. So I'm kind of caught in the middle.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
we dont use the motorways much at all
but have been through about 20 pay stations
and all have dropped us to class two without
arguing including the Mont Blanc tunnel although he did give us a dirty look

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had a sanef tag now for three years we are under 3m but 4250kg and towing car trailer only ever charged class 2 never been challenged or stopped.
Get yourself a sanef tag through euro tunnel I think they have an offer if you use them you can get at tag with a reduced set up fee.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're actually only 3.1 high so it's really marginal but their measuring device is pretty steely-eyed and hits us for Class 3 every time.

Looks like you may have crossed the height boundary then. Our old MH with a luton was 3.05 at the roof vent cowling and we always paid Classe 2. Our current vehicle is just below 3m high but has been up-plated to 3850kgs, so unless someone from Sanef pays close attention to our V5 after the barrier for some reason we're OK with a Bip & Go Tag. I suspect the weight/height distinction is aimed mainly at trucks, and I'd be very surprised if all French MH owners were within the letter of the Liber-T terms and conditions. They don't actually ask for vehicle documents when you apply for the Tag.

As a side issue, you can use your Tag in a car if you wish, but I'm guessing it's best to go through the height restricted barriers to avoid an unwanted Classe 2 charge.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
@xtab - if you were picked up last year continuously as class 3 then it is the same system using sanef tag and you will be picked up again, possibly even blocked at the toll station. If however you were 90 % through as a class 2 you may be unofficially ok

Please see Broken Link Removed which shows the classifications for clarity and then http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/routes.htm the official French route planner with toll costs according to classification

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
As previously posted TollTickets for vehicles over 3.5t and over 3metres high have this and it works fine for 7.5t x 3.5metres high (twin rear axle).
Tried all that stopping at the gate malarky and blagging it!!! far easier this way

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
I have an Autotrail Tracker which is 3.05 high 3.5t. This year I used a ATMB tag in France and didn't have any problems at the tolls. The only exception was that I first put the tag at the top of the windscreen and the cab overhang obscured it making the lasers unable to detect it. So I just moved it to the bottom of the windscreen and it worked perfectly.

Aug 14, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Since 2008
We used the liber-t tag we had for our car the previous year but got stung each time we went through the tag toll booth as it recognised our height of 3 mtrs automatically charging class 3!!! Will leave it off this year and press the assist button to try for "classe deux".

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We used the liber-t tag we had for our car the previous year but got stung each time we went through the tag toll booth as it recognised our height of 3 mtrs automatically charging class 3!!! Will leave it off this year and press the assist button to try for "classe deux".
You say "automatically charged class 3" are you saying that they can charge class 3 to your account that was taken out for a car?

Martin

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You say "automatically charged class 3" are you saying that they can charge class 3 to your account that was taken out for a car?

Martin

The account and the tag aren't vehicle specific - they simply enable rapid payment of the appropriate toll. If I was using the tag in a car I'd go through the lower height barriers on the left as a precaution.

Aug 14, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Since 2008
The tag is not vehicle specific, but works even for our A class with the caveat that it seems to charge class 3 to our account. Didn't realise it would recognise us as over 3 mars until saw statements when back home!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
All this discussion has a very simple answer and the one I much prefer to use.

Don't use toll roads.

It's very simple really. :D:D:D

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back