French rivers (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We would like to visit some towns on our way through France that are on the banks of the rivers Meuse, Moselle, Seine, and any others places on this side of France

Could you please advise us where to head for in relation to places you have visited and would recommend

We would also appreciate any other stops you think we should head for between Lyon and Calais

Many thanks Again

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
went on to google maps to see if i recognised anywhere on your route to recommend.But that side we have yet to do, what i did notice was an area just north and east of lyon is one mass of lakes any one been there?Roughly centered around villars les dombes.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We stayed at the municipal site at Haybes (close to Belgium border) on the Meuse last year. Green and shady, overlooking the river. Just north of the town. Only 10 euro - the aire in town I think is a bit cheaper but not as nice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Dole is known as french venice because 150 metres of it looks like venice but is a very nice free stop in the town or by the swimming pool for free water.
Cascades du herrison is on the way as an added bonus. (Get back to me if that interests you)
Strasbourg or colmar are both good stops with eguisheim in the way and both have good rivers.
Trier in germany on the moselle is well worthy after the diesel of luxembourg.
Metz is always a favourite
Givet on the meuse if you park by the river.

Other places would include chanaz remich mesnil st pere nantua all of which are water orientated and in your way and good aires

Only colmar nantua metz are paying aires.
When are you going back ? If travelling on a saturday doing a detour for a festival is always a good plan if you enjoy a good party. Work out where you might be and search the local TO online.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Les Andelys on the Seine, nice ACSI site with pitches next to river so you can watch the cruise boats go up and down. Pretty little town.
DSCF7036.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
went on to google maps to see if i recognised anywhere on your route to recommend.But that side we have yet to do, what i did notice was an area just north and east of lyon is one mass of lakes any one been there?Roughly centered around villars les dombes.
I've driven through them a couple times but there isn't a lot to see. The Dombes lakes are artificial and dug centuries ago for fish breeding as the heavy clay soil was unsuitable for agriculture. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We would like to visit some towns on our way through France that are on the banks of the rivers Meuse, Moselle, Seine, and any others places on this side of France

Could you please advise us where to head for in relation to places you have visited and would recommend

We would also appreciate any other stops you think we should head for between Lyon and Calais

Many thanks Again
This site lists a few places in the Meuse region.

http://www.villagesdefrance.fr/dept/page55_paysdemeuse.htm

Further east are these:

https://www.planetware.com/france/alsace-route-du-vin-f-a-rovi.htm

But you would have to check each place for aires. I would use CamperContact but other resources are available. :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We stayed in a campsite on the banks of the Tarn which was superb ,five minutes walk cross the bridge and you were in the town centre there were supermarkets,shops,places of interest, hangliders and various parasailing types flying off the mountains at the back of the town . Millau an amazing place the surrounding area was wonderful.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I've driven through them a couple times but there isn't a lot to see. The Dombes lakes are artificial and dug centuries ago for fish breeding as the heavy clay soil was unsuitable for agriculture. :)
thanks for the info i often see bits on maps and go to investigate ill not waste my fuel on those then

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
The Meuse is well trodden by campingcaristes, if you pop into a tourist info office in the region they produce a free pamphlet for aires and stoppovers for mohos as well as places to visit.

Also a list here...

Broken Link Removed

I would imagine most if not all will be on P4N or Campercontact.

Pete

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to say it quite threw me as I saw two consecutive threads started by @Lanerboy entitled French Rivers and French Drivers! (n)

Wyn

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We stayed in a campsite on the banks of the Tarn which was superb ,five minutes walk cross the bridge and you were in the town centre there were supermarkets,shops,places of interest, hangliders and various parasailing types flying off the mountains at the back of the town . Millau an amazing place the surrounding area was wonderful.
Presently in Millau on a riverside site costing 12euros with acsi. Last night we stayed in Vichy, a nice Spa town that is undergoing some cosmetic work on the side of the river where all the sites are, will look great when finished. The aire here cost 10euros with 16 amp elecky, showers, toilets, free water etc.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Loved Colmar and stayed at the campsite by the marina. It was a pay to stay place but very reasonable had all the facilities. A short walk into the centre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back