French Lockdown (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Today 19th March France has announced another lockdown for a month and this means that travel is restricted between regions. I wondering if our planned trip is going t happen as we have a Shuttle booking for the 18th May. Before you start shouting 'Go away in the UK' that is not going to happen with us. I've been camping for 30+ years and today in my opinion which I'm entitled to sites in the UK are just not worth the money. In excess of £30 per night for a fully serviced pitch when I pay no more than €25 in France and Spain with all services including Bar / Restaurants and Shop on site. Oh well if we cannot go then the M/H stays covered up until next year.
What do other Funsters think of the future?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What do I think? Doesn't mean much to folks on here, but we are pretty much in the same position we were in this time last year, and everyone was saying we won't be going this year, but hundreds, maybe thousands did, us included with no problems whatsoever.
This year is now going the same way, countries can't stay locked up for ever and there is going to be a point where everywhere is going to have pretty much the same figures, and I think in a couple of months we will be on our way again (y) :sun:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Some UK folk are planning their future European holidays based on the great successes of the UK's vaccination timelines and our ability to reduce infection numbers rapidly.

France, Germany and the rest of the mob don't seem to be making much advancement at all so IMO it's going to potentially take months for these countries to get back on track.

If I was booking something in Europe then August and September sounds more favourable (or likely) than May.

........but without that crystal ball !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Fingers and toes crossed,,ferry booked for Spain May 18th,,,felt safer in France and Spain last year in the van than i did in uk..Other than essential shopping we hardly saw anyone..So easy to to stay isolated..Should have had both jabs by then all being well..BUSBY.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Are the sites going to be open? Will the facilities also be open or are the people going all wild campers?

OP
OP
Midnightflyer
Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Are the sites going to be open? Will the facilities also be open or are the people going all wild campers?
Sites are open or opening, I have 3 sites in France booked for stopovers on way down. Sites booked in Spain where we have friends who have been there since December and they tell me that life is going on as usual.
All we can do is wait and hope.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Would love to be headed across the water but probably not this year so I will be satisfied to check out some tasty bits of our lovely country.
Will I park the mhome up and not use it ? Not likely, wheels will roll ASAP.

OP
OP
Midnightflyer
Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
What do I think? Doesn't mean much to folks on here, but we are pretty much in the same position we were in this time last year, and everyone was saying we won't be going this year, but hundreds, maybe thousands did, us included with no problems whatsoever.
This year is now going the same way, countries can't stay locked up for ever and there is going to be a point where everywhere is going to have pretty much the same figures, and I think in a couple of months we will be on our way again (y) :sun:
I do hope you are right and wish you well.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
In excess of £30 per night for a fully serviced pitch when I pay no more than €25 in France and Spain with all services including Bar / Restaurants and Shop on site. Oh well if we cannot go then the M/H stays covered up until next year.
What do other Funsters think of the future?
Plenty of UK sites that have fully serviced pitches have Bars, Restaurants and small shops on site. I understand your frustration as my "White Elephant" has also been sitting on my drive since last September taxed, insured, MOTd, probably depreciating in front of my eyes (maybe not this year) and that very expensive habitation check done. The difference between 25 Euros and thirty quid is not a lot - not enough for me not to book holidays in the UK - four starting June - North Wales, Wells, Dorset and the IOW - more if we are released earlier from Covid's clutches.

I understand peoples passion for Europe but not their anti UK stance. Personally I have had some great holidays in the UK but certainly do not rule out anything in the future - just not whilst the EU seem unable to educate their populations on the benefits of vaccinations or stop bitching about supply and the effectiveness of certain vaccines.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Age and health plays a big part in any decisions, when you are in your seventies and was planning on the last big tour last year but didn't get around to it, you havnt got the time left to say next year or maybe the year after that, you are more likely to be dead with something else rather than something you have been vaccinated against and a 94% chance of not getting it anyway.
Obviously a bit apprehensive but if there is the slightest chance I'm off this year.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I'm hopeful we will hit the European trail again this year. For us it's business as usual as I no longer book crossings in advance. Last minute ferries and tunnel prices not over-priced, much better to be flexible and get the best deal you can at the time. The only thing I avoid is just turning up at the terminal, especially in France as they love sticking a premium on unprepared Brits when they can.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have been motorhomeless since August and have put on hold buying another as I predicted this happening, I won’t bother getting a motorhome for at least this year (unless a bargain) as Europe will not be fully open... wouldn’t go anywhere in uk, been there done it and it’s now a rip off ... and looks like it’s going to be sooo busy, not my kind of environment...

if it opens up in September I might Chuck a tent in the car and go to Spain for a month or two...☀️☀️

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Plenty of UK sites that have fully serviced pitches have Bars, Restaurants and small shops on site. I understand your frustration as my "White Elephant" has also been sitting on my drive since last September taxed, insured, MOTd, probably depreciating in front of my eyes (maybe not this year) and that very expensive habitation check done. The difference between 25 Euros and thirty quid is not a lot - not enough for me not to book holidays in the UK - four starting June - North Wales, Wells, Dorset and the IOW - more if we are released earlier from Covid's clutches.

I understand peoples passion for Europe but not their anti UK stance. Personally I have had some great holidays in the UK but certainly do not rule out anything in the future - just not whilst the EU seem unable to educate their populations on the benefits of vaccinations or stop bitching about supply and the effectiveness of certain vaccines.
Uk is a beautiful and safe country,,its three main faults are weather,,,roads and its not motorhome friendly,,,Its a shame really..BUSBY,,

OP
OP
Midnightflyer
Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012

Very well said, however I must say that in the past years inc last year when booking in the UK several sites seem (Not all) to have the attitude that they are doing you a favour. One site not so long ago charged £2 for a special as they put it (not in my eyes) plastic sack for your rubbish and then you left it in the corner for disposal!!
My passion for Europe is the weather, wall to wall sunshine every day, forget the Brussels Politicians the French and Spanish people are fine and welcoming.
We have Spanish friends that are begging for the vaccine and are sick and tired of Brussels controlling their way of life.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Age and health plays a big part in any decisions, when you are in your seventies and was planning on the last big tour last year but didn't get around to it, you havnt got the time left to say next year or maybe the year after that, you are more likely to be dead with something else rather than something you have been vaccinated against and a 94% chance of not getting it anyway.
Obviously a bit apprehensive but if there is the slightest chance I'm off this year.
I am of that age, ferry booked for September and first two nights also booked for Jeugdstadion Leper, if it happens it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Mid 70s my self Chaser but not planning that last big tour just yet,,,Got lots to do but the hours are getting fewer....BUSBY :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have friends in the south west of France, and havnt been able to even get a flu jab never mind covid, but they have very few cases.
Friend of mine in Brittany gets his today but he is 71,,he reckons the French uptake is low,,BUSBY. ( Covid )

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Friend of mine in Brittany gets his today but he is 71,,he reckons the French uptake is low,,BUSBY. ( Covid )
The friends I quoted want it but can't get it and they are in poor general health and 75.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Some UK folk are planning their future European holidays based on the great successes of the UK's vaccination timelines and our ability to reduce infection numbers rapidly.

France, Germany and the rest of the mob don't seem to be making much advancement at all so IMO it's going to potentially take months for these countries to get back on track.

If I was booking something in Europe then August and September sounds more favourable (or likely) than May.

........but without that crystal ball !!
For those who dont know, I monitor the European infection rate daily and have done since the start of the year and logged all the infections, trends etc. and they are all there to view

I have almost no doubts at all, whatsoever, based upon the history of this virus and the manner in which it reacts to date so far, that our trip in June will be going ahead. I have only cancelled my May one because of fears of the Q10 upon return, and I would expect Europe to be open to accept us around that time. I think Cyprus and Greece, maybe Spain and Portugal are looking at May 1st and that is with Greece hitting high figures atm.

Take Portugal. 1612 in the 14day/100,000 figures on 1st February. Not even 7 weeks ago. We have nearly 9 weeks until May 17th. They are currently on 76.5 and losing 5 a day every day. For every Portugal there is Spain, UK, Ireland, Croatia.

Plenty time for countries to go up and down, and with the warmer weather coming and excluding any vaccine effect, I see no issues.

Remember last year when they opened in June but people wanted to hang on until September. We all had to go to Germany !!!!!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm going to be painfully blunt here. :imoutahere:

If you decide to go over the channel this year, you should be forced to stay there.
I know thats a blanket statement that will make some folks angry, but its wholly stupid to move around anywhere in Europe then drag their filth back here & it is irresponsible to assume otherwise.

They've spat the dummy at us & used every excuse in the book & a few that aren't even in the book to discredit the UK & the result? Another French lockdown, with Germany likely to follow.

I totally understand that people adore many European countries & that includes myself, but wild horses couldn't drag me over there just now.
They've lost their cashcow....err sorry, they've lost the UK & lost their whipping boy, so hell mend them. :envy:

Have the sense to vote with your feet for another year, stay in the UK, you never know, you might discover that you like it, then when the dust settles, have a winter break in the sun somewhere.

Yes this is a "Fire In the Hole" statement, but please examine your reasons before travelling. :mad:

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Why do these threads always turn into UK bashing ones.
It's ok, we understand you prefer to go to Europe and are frustrated you currently can't.
But give over with the constant the UK is too expensive, too crowded refrain - because it isn't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back