LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Apologies if I wasn't clear - I meant applying for a French tourist visa long stay 4-6 months, then travelling the rest of EU after in line with the Schengen area, as I believe the French visas are now open to apply for.
Just went through the application the stumbling block might be you need proof of residency of your host.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Sorry for the delay in responding. We haven't progressed the visa as it became clear to us that we wouldn't need it it this year and changed our plans. We fully intend applying for one next year but I doubt that helps in your quest for information. We did consider trying to get one for Ireland as the language barrier wouldnt be an issue, it would somewhat unusual as UK citizens already have freedom of movement into Ireland but I am sure a visitor visa exists for Ireland ....
The lady I spoke to re the French Visitor Visa at the agency who deals with visas was called Svitlana, she was really helpful and spoke good English. She said she would contact the Consulate and look into the process of someone visiting and travelling throughout France in a motorhome as it wasn't something they had encountered before. Perhaps now that travel is allowed, she may have a positive answer ... Best wishes and let us know how you get on?
She did confirm that we could use our standard 90 in 180 but then must leave and re enter using the visitor visa, but you could just ignore the 90 in 180 and enter using the visitor visa, though I am not sure whether you could then leave and return using the 90/180 rules?

PS I did hear about someone applying for a Portuguese or Spanish Visitor Visa as they said it was cheaper and was also valid throughout the Schengen zone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
"PS I did hear about someone applying for a Portuguese or Spanish Visitor Visa as they said it was cheaper and was also valid throughout the Schengen zone."

I'm sure others would appreciate more on this...however if Portugal granted a visa you would need to enter/exit there directly...not pass through other Schengen countries which would start your 90 day clock....as for Spain...there are currently no plans to introduce such visa....for tourism..... I'm sure many second home owners would be delighted if there were plans to introduce such a thing....they are the hardest hit...motorhomers can go elsewhere..

Broken Link Removed Quote

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
"PS I did hear about someone applying for a Portuguese or Spanish Visitor Visa as they said it was cheaper and was also valid throughout the Schengen zone."

I'm sure others would appreciate more on this...however if Portugal granted a visa you would need to enter/exit there directly...not pass through other Schengen countries which would start your 90 day clock....as for Spain...there are currently no plans to introduce such visa....for tourism..... I'm sure many second home owners would be delighted if there were plans to introduce such a thing....they are the hardest hit...motorhomers can go elsewhere..

Broken Link Removed Quote
hi, i am sure i read it on the moho forum .... but i do think the caveats you mention may be relevant, although a trip to Morocco and re entering Spain on the tourist/visitor visa (if it does exist) might work for some ....?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
hi, i am sure i read it on the moho forum .... but i do think the caveats you mention may be relevant, although a trip to Morocco and re entering Spain on the tourist/visitor visa (if it does exist) might work for some ....?
I use an old, overused expression...."Don't hold your breath".....most of Europe are once again at grips with an increasing Covid 19,20,21 situation...other things to sort first...

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Just went through the application the stumbling block might be you need proof of residency of your host.
did you 'stumble' or did you manage to get over it? i was going to try and use the campsite we have our static on as my 'base/residency address'

with due respect to other contributers, I am not asking for your opinion on the viability of a visitor visa or your opinion on whether it will happen or not, I prefer to try and get on with things rather than look for a reason why it might not happen

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
did you 'stumble' or did you manage to get over it? i was going to try and use the campsite we have our static on as my 'base/residency address'

with due respect to other contributers, I am not asking for your opinion on the viability of a visitor visa or your opinion on whether it will happen or not, I prefer to try and get on with things rather than look for a reason why it might not happen
I was just looking to see the requirements as the 90 days is fine for us.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Don't use an open Forum, which may or not be opinionated.....but is often supported by factual information from those who live in Eurozone, and some who have first hand information about subjects that may or may not prove to be useful to those who ask questions here in fun...

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Don't use an open Forum, which may or not be opinionated.....but is often supported by factual information from those who live in Eurozone, and some who have first hand information about subjects that may or may not prove to be useful to those who ask questions here in fun...
Not sure being told not to hold my breath is factual ... Or adds to the thread, but you're entitled to your opinion and your entitled to voice it, though as I said, im not really interested in it on this occasion.... Best wishes

EllieBeake

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Sorry for the delay in responding. We haven't progressed the visa as it became clear to us that we wouldn't need it it this year and changed our plans. We fully intend applying for one next year but I doubt that helps in your quest for information. We did consider trying to get one for Ireland as the language barrier wouldnt be an issue, it would somewhat unusual as UK citizens already have freedom of movement into Ireland but I am sure a visitor visa exists for Ireland ....
The lady I spoke to re the French Visitor Visa at the agency who deals with visas was called Svitlana, she was really helpful and spoke good English. She said she would contact the Consulate and look into the process of someone visiting and travelling throughout France in a motorhome as it wasn't something they had encountered before. Perhaps now that travel is allowed, she may have a positive answer ... Best wishes and let us know how you get on?
She did confirm that we could use our standard 90 in 180 but then must leave and re enter using the visitor visa, but you could just ignore the 90 in 180 and enter using the visitor visa, though I am not sure whether you could then leave and return using the 90/180 rules?

PS I did hear about someone applying for a Portuguese or Spanish Visitor Visa as they said it was cheaper and was also valid throughout the Schengen zone.
No problem at all, many thanks for the update! That's really helpful - I've tried to get into contact with the French embassy a few times and we have had no response as of yet, but we are considering scrapping the French visa idea and leaving the Schengen zone as a way of getting around the 90 day limit. For example, Croatia, Montenegro and Bulgaria are all out of the zone with a 30-90 day limit to stay visa-free each, so this is perhaps a better option if the French embassy doesn't get back to us, and all beautiful countries, although much further than France/Spain so it depends on your plans! If the embassy does get back to us, I will let you know what they say :)

I've had a look at the Portuguese and Spanish visas and they do seem very similar to the French, but I'll wait back on an answer before pursuing any further visas.

Agreed that other comments aren't exactly helpful - the amount of 'don't you know there's a pandemic on!' 'that isn't possible!' comments we have had is disheartening, but it clearly is possible as I follow multiple UK travellers on social media that who are currently in France and Switzerland in their campers! Where there is a will there is a way, and my brother flew to Gibraltar last week too to visit his girlfriend with no issues... so it is definitely possible, Americans and Australians have been doing it for years!

Thanks again!

EllieBeake

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit

As a note, the options for putting an address (from the top of my head but pretty sure) are 1. someone you are staying with who are hosting you 2. work who are setting you up at a private accommodation or 3. the hotel you are staying in.

I had a look into the third option and there are companies that can book you a hotel for x amount of time, you pay them a fee and then they cancel your reservation when you set off - essentially so you have that booking confirmation to show the embassy but don't have to pay for it in full. Similarly, I imagine you could book a hotel for 3 weeks in which you pay on arrival, then cancel it once you get into the country? A bit fiddly but possibly an option if we do need an address!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As a note, the options for putting an address (from the top of my head but pretty sure) are 1. someone you are staying with who are hosting you 2. work who are setting you up at a private accommodation or 3. the hotel you are staying in.

I had a look into the third option and there are companies that can book you a hotel for x amount of time, you pay them a fee and then they cancel your reservation when you set off - essentially so you have that booking confirmation to show the embassy but don't have to pay for it in full. Similarly, I imagine you could book a hotel for 3 weeks in which you pay on arrival, then cancel it once you get into the country? A bit fiddly but possibly an option if we do need an address!
Pure desperation....so sad....good luck on your attempted workaround.....might be better using Personal messages rather than giving innocent members here on fun ideas that may or may not be factual or lawful procedures.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We are lucky that we have a holiday cottage in France, points to remember if you were to stay say in France for more than 183 days in any one year you may be classed as a French resident for tax purposes. The lady I spoke to could see no problem for us to obtain a Tourist visa for 6 months, we just had to apply (subject to Covid restrictions) not more than three months before we wished to travel, have health care (the E11 or its latest issue) will suffice for health cover, proof we have sufficient funds to cover the length of stay, an address and a booked return ticket sign an undertaking not to carry out or look for any paid work, have three clear months left on our passport after the planned date of return. This will involve a visit in person to a French Embassy then either return to collect your passport or pay to have it posted to you. The only point she made was as there are no current border checks when leaving France for other European countries it would be advisable to limit you stay to the six months as against using the 90/180 and then the six months again because of the possible tax implications.

Deleted User
We are lucky that we have a holiday cottage in France, points to remember if you were to stay say in France for more than 183 days in any one year you may be classed as a French resident for tax purposes. The lady I spoke to could see no problem for us to obtain a Tourist visa for 6 months, we just had to apply (subject to Covid restrictions) not more than three months before we wished to travel, have health care (the E11 or its latest issue) will suffice for health cover, proof we have sufficient funds to cover the length of stay, an address and a booked return ticket sign an undertaking not to carry out or look for any paid work, have three clear months left on our passport after the planned date of return. This will involve a visit in person to a French Embassy then either return to collect your passport or pay to have it posted to you. The only point she made was as there are no current border checks when leaving France for other European countries it would be advisable to limit you stay to the six months as against using the 90/180 and then the six months again because of the possible tax implications.
I may be wrong but even if you jump through all the hoops that will be thrown at you I very much doubt that it will be granted again.
I can find no reference to tourist visas on the gouv.fr website, only a vague reference to visitor.
In your case having a holiday home in France should satisfy the requirement for proof of location but as I said will this be allowed every year.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I was led to belive this would be able to be renewed annually but again she stressed to take care re the possible tax implications. We are hoping to go around the beginning of November in Out motorhome call in at the cottage to check its still standing the winter in Portugal before returning to France.

Deleted User
I was led to belive this would be able to be renewed annually but again she stressed to take care re the possible tax implications. We are hoping to go around the beginning of November in Out motorhome call in at the cottage to check its still standing the winter in Portugal before returning to France.
The best of British as they say, I think you may need it.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I may be wrong but even if you jump through all the hoops that will be thrown at you I very much doubt that it will be granted again.
I can find no reference to tourist visas on the gouv.fr website, only a vague reference to visitor.
In your case having a holiday home in France should satisfy the requirement for proof of location but as I said will this be allowed every year.
Only experience I have with a long visa is a friend of my daughter . He was australian and applied for a 1 year visa which was granted but was told it was a one off and wouldn't be renewed unless some time had passed. His wife had a UK passport and as was before the B word she could stay. They came with their little girl and were granted it as a cultural reason . Their daughter went to school here and loved it .

EllieBeake.

Free Member
Jul 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Pure desperation....so sad....good luck on your attempted workaround.....might be better using Personal messages rather than giving innocent members here on fun ideas that may or may not be factual or lawful procedures.
Pure desperation? That's pretty rude don't you think - no need for that at all. I'm sure it is possible as like I said, Australians and Americans have been working with the zone for years, I hardly this it is impossible to obtain a French tourist visa.... for tourists?

EllieBeake.

Free Member
Jul 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Why would there be a problem with Gibraltar? Apart from it now counting as in the shengen area.
It was an example of no issues travelling to Europe, insinuating that it most likely is possible to obtain a visa or travel to Europe for longer than the 90 days, you'll see I also mentioned that individuals have been travelling around Europe with no issues for longer than 3 months who I follow on social media who are from the UK:

"I follow multiple UK travellers on social media that are currently in France and Switzerland in their campers! Where there is a will there is a way, and my brother flew to Gibraltar last week too to visit his girlfriend with no issues... so it is definitely possible, Americans and Australians have been doing it for years!"

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Who knows,,be optimistic they may do.Plenty of doom and gloom on here.☺️ BUSBY.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Plenty of doom and gloom on here.☺️ BUSBY.
Far too much at times .....

Ellie, take a deep breath and relax ...you will always find that out of 50k+ members, there are a few who may not agree with you and a lesser number who actually voice their disagreement or disapproval .. Not bad statistics wouldn't you agree ??

Last edited:

Deleted User
Who knows,,be optimistic they may do.Plenty of doom and gloom on here.☺️ BUSBY.
Some of us call it reality!
I hope things work out for those that try but it won't be easy.
Beurocracy in France is said to be worse than in Portugal and that takes some beating :Smile:
It is wise to remember that pessimists are rarely disappointed :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieBeake.

Free Member
Jul 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Far too much at times .....

Ellie, take a deep breath and relax ...you will always find that out of 50k+ members, there are a few who may not agree with you and a lesser number who actually voice their disagreement or disapproval .. Not bad statistics wouldn't you agree ??
Thank you, just tired of hearing all doom and gloom, we don't need any more of that at the moment! Happy for people to disagree of course, but would be nicer if it was in a kinder manner :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Some of us call it reality!
I hope things work out for those that try but it won't be easy.
Beurocracy in France is said to be worse than in Portugal and that takes some beating :Smile:
It is wise to remember that pessimists are raty disappointed :Smile:
I have a friend who has been telling me that for years and he is a pessimist.Thank goodness I am an absolute optomist.He has been sat at home worrying since Covid began,,we did ten weeks in Europe last year and seven this year up to now.I know you can't help your make up but just remember Worry is like a Rocking Horse,,,it gives you something to do,,BUT it gets you nowhere. BUSBY 😂😂.

Deleted User
I have a friend who has been telling me that for years and he is a pessimist.Thank goodness I am an absolute optomist.He has been sat at home worrying since Covid began,,we did ten weeks in Europe last year and seven this year up to now.I know you can't help your make up but just remember Worry is like a Rocking Horse,,,it gives you something to do,,BUT it gets you nowhere. BUSBY 😂😂.

I am a realist not a pessimist and there is very little that worries me to the extent that I won't go out.

If I am worried about something then I do my best to solve the problem, not hide from it.

Realism does not equate to pessimism in any way.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I am a realist not a pessimist and there is very little that worries me to the extent that I won't go out.

If I am worried about something then I do my best to solve the problem, not hide from it.

Realism does not equate to pessimism in any way.
Suppose I have just lived my life enjoying my work and retirement not caring a shit.Bit irrisponsible but life has been a hoot.BUSBY
🤣🤣

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You don't give a shit about anything?
Nearly true,,I have a wife and kids and grand kids and great grand kids and family and friends that mean the world to me.BUSBY ☺️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back