France Visa (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
NOOooooooooooo! You've just dashed the hopes of hundreds if not thousands of motor homers UK wide! :LOL:
Personally I think it will be May 2021!

Even the ever optimistic Boris is saying that it will be the end of July before all over 50's have been 'offered' a vaccination slot.
Which means that it will be 3 months after that date (which, with all due respects, is unlikely to be met) before the UK over 50's are covered.
The real aim would be to cover 80% of the over 50's UK population by Christmas 2021.
And whatever you can cover of the under 50's would be a Brucie Bonus.

Remember the UK is currently 6 weeks ahead of the rest of the EU, I would presume each country will be endeavouring to get to much the same place by early winter Flu/Covid season.

So even if you have had both your jabs, I dont see it being easy to get to France this summer, as the locals may not have had their jabs yet (or are 6 weeks behind)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
BUT! Same as the UK, will the economy in France and the UK be able to stand dormant for another year? Doubt it!
It isn’t dormant actually . We are not totally locked down although Nice might be soon . There are many french who holiday at home ie in France and at present are on holiday over a month as midterm is staggered. The main businesses which are suffering are cafes and bars . Restaurants are doing takeaway . Hotels are open , shops are open . Large malls and large enterprises such as Ikea were closed only a couple days f weeks ago . All workmen are working as are factories . Our only real lockdown is the curfew .

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
spitfire I agree, most things are running and working as per normal here in the Charente Maritime with the exceptions you have mentioned. The restaurants here are usually closed now until Easter so not much difference for many of them, so do (did) open all year and they are taking a huge hit. The 1800h to 0600h curfew is a real pain in the rear now the evenings are becoming lighter but there is a review due in nine days time. That said, the ex-minister for health (french) was this am on BFMTV calling for a fourth lockdown .... please no.

We hope to be able to travel to Spain at the end of this year but we are not expecting it from what we are seeing and hearing on our news channels and papers. Fingers crossed and we hope to be proved wrong.

Never mind, France is a huge country plenty to see at home, just have to turn up the heating again in winter ..... and pay a lot more for our beer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Even the ever optimistic Boris is saying that it will be the end of July before all over 50's have been 'offered' a vaccination slot.
The new plan means that by 15 April, all adults aged 50 and over, as well as younger people with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk, should have been offered a jab.

The government aims to offer a first jab to all adults in the UK by the end of July, with one in three adults already vaccinated, Mr Hancock said.

The above paras were copied from BBC website updated at 18:37 and seem to indicate the expectation that ALL adults will have been offered a jab by end July - over 50's by mid April

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Initially I/we did not want the jab, but, it would seem that if we wish to travel beyond our garden gate in the near future we may not have a lot of choice. Until France and Spain have made better inroads, remembering that we are about 6 weeks behind the UK, I fear not much will change for inter-country travel.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The new plan means that by 15 April, all adults aged 50 and over, as well as younger people with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk, should have been offered a jab.

The government aims to offer a first jab to all adults in the UK by the end of July, with one in three adults already vaccinated, Mr Hancock said.

The above paras were copied from BBC website updated at 18:37 and seem to indicate the expectation that ALL adults will have been offered a jab by end July - over 50's by mid April

Remember, that is just the first jab
The second may be up to 3 months later
and then add 21 days for them to become effective
Which means by October the majority of UK adults should be covered.

I would imagine most of the EU countries will be aiming for 80% coverage by October as that is when the normal Flu and Covid season starts

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
The only other point that may affect so is how long can you use a UK registered motorhome or car in the EU in one trip.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Which means that it will be 3 months after that date (which, with all due respects, is unlikely to be met) before the UK over 50's are covered.
The real aim would be to cover 80% of the over 50's UK population by Christmas 2021.

Remember the UK is currently 6 weeks ahead of the rest of the EU, I would presume each country will be endeavouring to get to much the same place by early winter Flu/Covid season.

So even if you have had both your jabs, I dont see it being easy to get to France this summer, as the locals may not have had their jabs yet (or are 6 weeks behind)
French are a bit reluctant to have the jab,,BUSBY.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I am still praying we will be allowed over this summer, we travelled June 21st last year and I am hoping that by May we will be allowed in. Covid doesn’t like summer and we enjoyed last summer in France albeit with face masks and social distancing. Hopefully this will happen again this year.

Jhoops

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pegaso
Brains is this just your opinion or are you quoting from the counties in the EU ?

Jhoops

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pegaso
Hi apologies we’ve just seen the second part of everyone’s thread. It is much appreciated

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Brains is this just your opinion or are you quoting from the counties in the EU ?

I was presuming that the north western EU countries after a slow start would be catching up the UK within the next month or two.
It's in everyone interest to get 80% of their citizens vaccinated before the flu/Covid season restarts in October/November 2021.
However looking at todays news with empty vaccination centres in France, Belgium and Germany, they may not be catching up the UK at all, and they could all be in for another very nasty winter.

I hear Chis Whitty's former boss (retired at exactly the right time!), is saying don't plan to travel outside the UK before April 2023 !
He says the Hotel Quarantine will need to be in place until end of 2023 or 2024.

That day trip to Calais to stock up with wine could see you in the Premier Inn Dover for 2 weeks!

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
From Superyacht News — it’s going to take a bit of getting used to!

Brexit may come as a blow to many British crew who, until 1 January 2021, had the luxury of being able to travel freely around the European Union without many immigration considerations. But, as Kerry Allerton, operations manager at Evolution Yacht Agents in Spain, explains, Brexit now means that British crew fall into the same category as other non-EU crew.

“The UK has now become a ‘third country’ in EU terms and this groups British nationals in with the rest of the world,” Allerton advises. “But it’s very manageable: captains are used to dealing with American, Australian and Kiwi crew coming into Europe – they can enter without a visa but are only allowed to stay in the EU for 90 days within a rolling 180-day period – and the same now applies to British crew.”

Essentially British crew, as with any other British or non-EU nationals, will now get a stamp in their passport when they arrive in any EU country, which will start the clock on their 90-day limit within the EU zone (not just in that particular country). When they join a boat, they may then request to get stamped out of the EU and stamped back in when they disembark, meaning the period they are on a crew list does not count towards the 90-day limit.

“Once crew are stamped onto the boat and out of the EU, most countries allow them to travel within 10km of the vessel,” adds Allerton. “Crew wishing to travel, either temporarily or permanently, beyond that will have to stamp into the EU beforehand.” In summary, any change in crew list involving British crew now requires a stamp.

While there have been some differences in how local immigration offices are managing the situation for crewmembers already embarked on a vessel in Spain on 1 January, the general policy is that these crew do not need to visit immigration to stamp on board and out of the EU. “If you are not stamped in, you do not need to get stamped out,” says Allerton. “Instead, the moment crew disembark they will need to get stamped in – which could be in January or at a later date – and that is when their days in the EU start being counted.”

While there have been some differences in how local immigration offices are managing the situation for crewmembers already embarked on a vessel in Spain on 1 January, the general policy is that these crew do not need to visit immigration to stamp on board and out of the EU.
Riviera Yacht Support has been advising crew on the new post-Brexit regulations for UK citizens in France from 1 January. “As British crew will now be treated as non-EU/Schengen citizens, they will be required to be stamped in and out of the Schengen area when arriving and departing from Schengen states,” explains Campbell Cormack, sales and operations at Riviera Yacht Support.

“At present there is no visa system in place, but this is set to change. All British crew embarking onto a yacht within the Schengen states will be required to be stamped out of the Schengen to allow a pause of the 90-day period limit and stamped back in to the Schengen prior to debarkation of the vessel. All UK passports will also be required to have a minimum of six months validity for travel.”

At the beginning of January, Riviera Yacht Support was recommending British crew already on board a yacht within the Schengen states to be stamped out of the Schengen by customs – so as not to cause any problems or issues when leaving or returning to the Schengen states – and successfully organised for a few crewmembers to do so through the customs office in Cannes.

However, when they took more crew to do the same the following day, they were told that the port office in Cannes would now only permit the stamping out of crew who have been stamped in on arrival to the Schengen area, and that crew who are already in France and have no entry stamp cannot be stamped out.

“So, the next stamp these crew could get is the stamp out, but that will only be when they get to the airport,” explains Cormack. “It’s a grey area – if they change the rules again it could cause issues for crew when they go to leave the Schengen later in the year and can’t prove that they haven’t exceeded the 90-day limit.”

Cormack adds, however, that the customs office in Toulon is currently stamping crew in and out of the Schengen. “It appears we are in a state of flux and things haven’t settled down yet,” he concludes.

Ambra Sartore, ship agent at All Services, provides an overview of the similar situation in Italy; “From 1 January, UK passport holders will be ‘treated’ like Americans, Australians etc., so they do not need to apply for a multi-entrance Schengen Visa and they can stay in the Schengen territory for up to 90 days every six months. On arrival in one of the Schengen countries, they will now get a stamp in to the Schengen, which will be the date from which the 90 days will start counting down. In order to save their days from counting down, they will need to get another stamp out of the Schengen prior to joining the yacht, and again a stamp in once they leave the vessel.”

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
From Superyacht News — it’s going to take a bit of getting used to!

Brexit may come as a blow to many British crew who, until 1 January 2021, had the luxury of being able to travel freely around the European Union without many immigration considerations. But, as Kerry Allerton, operations manager at Evolution Yacht Agents in Spain, explains, Brexit now means that British crew fall into the same category as other non-EU crew.

“The UK has now become a ‘third country’ in EU terms and this groups British nationals in with the rest of the world,” Allerton advises. “But it’s very manageable: captains are used to dealing with American, Australian and Kiwi crew coming into Europe – they can enter without a visa but are only allowed to stay in the EU for 90 days within a rolling 180-day period – and the same now applies to British crew.”

Essentially British crew, as with any other British or non-EU nationals, will now get a stamp in their passport when they arrive in any EU country, which will start the clock on their 90-day limit within the EU zone (not just in that particular country). When they join a boat, they may then request to get stamped out of the EU and stamped back in when they disembark, meaning the period they are on a crew list does not count towards the 90-day limit.

“Once crew are stamped onto the boat and out of the EU, most countries allow them to travel within 10km of the vessel,” adds Allerton. “Crew wishing to travel, either temporarily or permanently, beyond that will have to stamp into the EU beforehand.” In summary, any change in crew list involving British crew now requires a stamp.

While there have been some differences in how local immigration offices are managing the situation for crewmembers already embarked on a vessel in Spain on 1 January, the general policy is that these crew do not need to visit immigration to stamp on board and out of the EU. “If you are not stamped in, you do not need to get stamped out,” says Allerton. “Instead, the moment crew disembark they will need to get stamped in – which could be in January or at a later date – and that is when their days in the EU start being counted.”

Riviera Yacht Support has been advising crew on the new post-Brexit regulations for UK citizens in France from 1 January. “As British crew will now be treated as non-EU/Schengen citizens, they will be required to be stamped in and out of the Schengen area when arriving and departing from Schengen states,” explains Campbell Cormack, sales and operations at Riviera Yacht Support.

“At present there is no visa system in place, but this is set to change. All British crew embarking onto a yacht within the Schengen states will be required to be stamped out of the Schengen to allow a pause of the 90-day period limit and stamped back in to the Schengen prior to debarkation of the vessel. All UK passports will also be required to have a minimum of six months validity for travel.”

At the beginning of January, Riviera Yacht Support was recommending British crew already on board a yacht within the Schengen states to be stamped out of the Schengen by customs – so as not to cause any problems or issues when leaving or returning to the Schengen states – and successfully organised for a few crewmembers to do so through the customs office in Cannes.

However, when they took more crew to do the same the following day, they were told that the port office in Cannes would now only permit the stamping out of crew who have been stamped in on arrival to the Schengen area, and that crew who are already in France and have no entry stamp cannot be stamped out.

“So, the next stamp these crew could get is the stamp out, but that will only be when they get to the airport,” explains Cormack. “It’s a grey area – if they change the rules again it could cause issues for crew when they go to leave the Schengen later in the year and can’t prove that they haven’t exceeded the 90-day limit.”

Cormack adds, however, that the customs office in Toulon is currently stamping crew in and out of the Schengen. “It appears we are in a state of flux and things haven’t settled down yet,” he concludes.

Ambra Sartore, ship agent at All Services, provides an overview of the similar situation in Italy; “From 1 January, UK passport holders will be ‘treated’ like Americans, Australians etc., so they do not need to apply for a multi-entrance Schengen Visa and they can stay in the Schengen territory for up to 90 days every six months. On arrival in one of the Schengen countries, they will now get a stamp in to the Schengen, which will be the date from which the 90 days will start counting down. In order to save their days from counting down, they will need to get another stamp out of the Schengen prior to joining the yacht, and again a stamp in once they leave the vessel.”

Sounds as though my MH should suddenly become the SS Arto.

How do immigration check that anyone actually sets sail?

Maybe I should have kept my boat, but I am sure the current owner who I has been a friend for 20 years will 'sign me on'.

Geoff

Geoff

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Would anybody here have some useful information as to the application for a Visa in order to travel to an EU country to walk the Camino de Santiago?

Ordinarily one would not, as a UK citizen be required to have a Visa however, I do not wish to use part of my '90 in 180' for the walk.

I've seen somewhere? where one can apply for a Visa on 'Religious' grounds.
Understand, I'm not trying to circumvent their rules. If I could apply for a Visa to avoid losing my leisure trips, I would.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Sounds as though my MH should suddenly become the SS Arto.

How do immigration check that anyone actually sets sail?

Maybe I should have kept my boat, but I am sure the current owner who I has been a friend for 20 years will 'sign me on'.

Geoff

Geoff
Sadly I’m pretty sure the rules for super yachts don’t apply to smaller vessels.
In conjunction with the Schengen dance we now also have to prove VAT on the boat has been paid in the EU and probably it now transpires, deregister from SSR and register on Part 1 instead.
Thanks Brexit.
Bye bye Greece, Turkey here we come.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sadly I’m pretty sure the rules for super yachts don’t apply to smaller vessels.
In conjunction with the Schengen dance we now also have to prove VAT on the boat has been paid in the EU and probably it now transpires, deregister from SSR and register on Part 1 instead.
Thanks Brexit.
Bye bye Greece, Turkey here we come.
Part 1 was always my choice in any event as it is a recognised proof of ownership by financial institutions so making my sale to a third party who required finance easy. The route to getting it now will be dependent on how old and how many owners your boat has had, a complete paper trail of ownership from the build certificate to the first buyer to the last invoice transferring ownership to you is required, easy if you have them already, or if you had it built of course.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Or never have them..French do not like having to comply..BUSBY.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Would anybody here have some useful information as to the application for a Visa in order to travel to an EU country to walk the Camino de Santiago?

Ordinarily one would not, as a UK citizen be required to have a Visa however, I do not wish to use part of my '90 in 180' for the walk.

Understand, I'm not trying to circumvent their rules. If I could apply for a Visa to avoid losing my leisure trips, I would.
If the Vatican can issue EU visa's on Religious grounds, then they have just embarked on the mass conversion of the UK populace to Catholicism!

If it means I can stay in the EU over 90 days, then I'll be a catholic (or any other belief system)

Henry the VIII would be spinning in his grave !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If the Vatican can issue EU visa's on Religious grounds, then they have just embarked on the mass conversion of the UK populace to Catholicism!

If it means I can stay in the EU over 90 days, then I'll be a catholic (or any other belief system)

Just practising my HAIL MARYS,,,BUSBY,,

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years

I’ve been practising hard during the lockdown with Bread and Wine!

And the Bloody Mary’s are coming along nicely too!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

This from the website SchengenVisaInfo:

Specific Requirements for Schengen Visa for attending Cultural / Sports / Religious events​

• Event Information. As i.e. invitation letters, entry tickets, enrollment conditions, detailed program and other documents that present relevant information about the event.
  • Evidence of previous performances. Participation in previous festivals and ceremonies (cultural, religious), sports competitions, winners certificates, proof of world/international ranking (sports).
Is walking the Camino a "religious event"? Debatable given the open ended nature of the walk but maybe worth a try. I would be more concerned about maintaining social distancing and all that stuff - unless you spend shed loads of dosh, some of the places you will stay will be a little snug. Bon Camino.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Well I can pr
This from the website SchengenVisaInfo:

Specific Requirements for Schengen Visa for attending Cultural / Sports / Religious events​

• Event Information. As i.e. invitation letters, entry tickets, enrollment conditions, detailed program and other documents that present relevant information about the event.
  • Evidence of previous performances. Participation in previous festivals and ceremonies (cultural, religious), sports competitions, winners certificates, proof of world/international ranking (sports).
Is walking the Camino a "religious event"? Debatable given the open ended nature of the walk but maybe worth a try. I would be more concerned about maintaining social distancing and all that stuff - unless you spend shed loads of dosh, some of the places you will stay will be a little snug. Bon Camino.
Well I can certainly provide evidence of previous participation, having walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and I have the cerfiticates (sic) and the Credential to prove it. Thanks to the Funsters (and others) I also raised a fair wad for charity as well. Fortunately I'm not contemplating doing the Camino Portuguese this year so hopefully Covid won't be a problem and time but not age is on my side.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Well I can pr

Well I can certainly provide evidence of previous participation, having walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and I have the cerfiticates (sic) and the Credential to prove it. Thanks to the Funsters (and others) I also raised a fair wad for charity as well. Fortunately I'm not contemplating doing the Camino Portuguese this year so hopefully Covid won't be a problem and time but not age is on my side.
Well, good luck with that. I envy you having completed the Frances - my daughter's father-in-law and I did St Jean to Castrojeriz in Sept 2018 (combined age of 140 or so) and were just getting into our stride when we ran out of time having only been able to free up a couple of weeks for our first attempt. Haven't been able to go back to complete and it doesn't look like we will now. Hope things work out for you.

EllieBeake

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Latest update

Spoke to TLS (who issue visas on behalf of French Govt) today and they are still not issuing long stay visas (3-6 months) or processing them until they are given authorisation from the French Govt to do so.

I asked re motorhome travel as we would be unable to provide a permanent address and was told it shouldn't be an issue - so nothing confirmed yet !!

I then asked if we could visit other EU countries using the long stay visa and was told yes we could. I then asked if we could also use the 90 in 180 either before or after the long stay, again I was told yes we could but would need to return to the UK first before the long stay visa expired and then return to France after it had expired, travelling under 90/180 regime.

Of course it's all going to be a test and I intend getting it all in writing first, should I need to appeal against any infringements border control may believe I have committed.

So, it's a case of sit back and wait for them to contact me as soon as the French Govt tell them they can start to process long stay visas again !!
Hello there, I was wondering if there had been any updates for the French Visa 4-6 months for travelling in the EU?

Myself and my partner are planning on going for 6 months, setting off in August (if all is well with COVID) so any updates would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hello there, I was wondering if there had been any updates for the French Visa 4-6 months for travelling in the EU?

Myself and my partner are planning on going for 6 months, setting off in August (if all is well with COVID) so any updates would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you!
As a tourist I very much doubt there will be any changes you will still be limited to 90 days in 180 like all other non Schengen countries.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Thank you!
Sorry the ruling remains as it was at the turn of the year.....the Withdrawal Agreement..

EllieBeake

Free Member
Jul 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
As a tourist I very much doubt there will be any changes you will still be limited to 90 days in 180 like all other non Schengen countries.
Apologies if I wasn't clear - I meant applying for a French tourist visa long stay 4-6 months, then travelling the rest of EU after in line with the Schengen area, as I believe the French visas are now open to apply for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back