Peter and Julie
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
You have to be a member of a British family established in France before the 1st of Jan. Its on the 1st line in bold & in red.
It's the Visa assistant to the right. The 'help' articles are for help in different circumstances (I think)!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
ive just submitted my application, need to contact them by phone tomorrow ......

we have a static in france so just used that as my 'location/address of accommodation. i will ask them tomorrow re travelling with a motorhome and will post back on here what they say, so those who just want to tour in a motorhome can be 'informed' .....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
update as promised

they are not accepting any applications for long stay visas until travel restrictions are lifted, so no point applying yet !!

i asked them re travelling in a motorhome, as no 'static' address could be provided. they were unsure of what to do !!

they suggested it was an unusual request, however i pointed out to them that there are many British people who may consider doing the same thing, they have sent a request to their 'head office' for clarification. i was told this was the first time anyone had asked such a question

at the very least i was told they would need a letter identifying travel plans, documents showing proof of ownership of the motorhome, insurance for the motorhome and a valid driving licence.

i suspect that some of those documents wont actually be needed as they are required to be produced if requested anyway, but hey, if we need them for a long stay visa then we will provide them.

the process requires a visit to one of their offices in London, Manchester or Edinburgh via a pre booked appointment, but as i mentioned, they are not accepting applications at the moment.

i was asked to ring back at the end of the month, when they hope to be able to answer my questions.

the number i rang was +44 20 30 40 04 60 for anyone looking for further information. i will of course add to this thread after speaking to them.

if anyone has any specific questions that they would like answering, no personal info please, add them to this conversation and i will try to get them answered, try not to duplicate questions others have already asked please. i will collate them into an email i will send them, now that i have a 'direct' contact person i can correspond with.

i will start the questions i am going to ask off ....

Q Can i still travel under Schengen allowance prior to or after the long term visa expires ( as the visa application should be 3 months prior to travel that would allow trips of a smaller duration up to the visa start or after the finish date, within the same year if applying for a 3-6 month visa)

Q Would i be allowed to visit other European countries during the term of the long stay visa? would that travel be under the French long term visa or using the Schengen allowance?

i suspect i know the answers or part of the answers, but it would be useful if the answers were given by them, written in an email response. it may also be that a long stay visa for a different EU country might be easier to access - especially if it gives us unrestricted EU travel during its term - so if anyone fancies trying the process other than France, then go for it and let us all know how you get on??? just add on this thread which country you are trying and the response so far.

when it all unveils itself we could even possibly put together an article for the magazine and a site download ?????

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
ive just submitted my application, need to contact them by phone tomorrow ......

we have a static in france so just used that as my 'location/address of accommodation. i will ask them tomorrow re travelling with a motorhome and will post back on here what they say, so those who just want to tour in a motorhome can be 'informed' .....
Latest update

Spoke to TLS (who issue visas on behalf of French Govt) today and they are still not issuing long stay visas (3-6 months) or processing them until they are given authorisation from the French Govt to do so.

I asked re motorhome travel as we would be unable to provide a permanent address and was told it shouldn't be an issue - so nothing confirmed yet !!

I then asked if we could visit other EU countries using the long stay visa and was told yes we could. I then asked if we could also use the 90 in 180 either before or after the long stay, again I was told yes we could but would need to return to the UK first before the long stay visa expired and then return to France after it had expired, travelling under 90/180 regime.

Of course it's all going to be a test and I intend getting it all in writing first, should I need to appeal against any infringements border control may believe I have committed.

So, it's a case of sit back and wait for them to contact me as soon as the French Govt tell them they can start to process long stay visas again !!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Hope you have plenty of popcorn. Cannot see the French government making changes for foreigners entering France prior to relaxing the rules for those resident here. We are no longer "confined" but must comply with a 1800h-0600h curfew. News on the French TV this am was there "may be" a review in ten days time, which I believe coincides with the end of the school holiday period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Will be interesting to see as the visa is designed for family members to stay for an extended period and visitors who from TCN countries who wish to stay for an extended period also like friends of my daughter in Oz who rented for 1 year and sent their little girl to school here . She could stay as also had a U.K. passport ( was pre B) He only had an Aussie passport and had to jump through hoops to stay on . Interesting to se how it pans out. My understanding it isn’t for regular tourist visits each year .

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Filopastry

Hope you have plenty of popcorn. Cannot see the French government making changes for foreigners entering France prior to relaxing the rules for those resident here. We are no longer "confined" but must comply with a 1800h-0600h curfew. News on the French TV this am was there "may be" a review in ten days time, which I believe coincides with the end of the school holiday period.

I'm not sure the first part if your post adds anything positive to the discussion. I've already made it clear we need to wait until we get approval.

The only part that i think is worth reading is the info on the French TV news, but even that doesn't add anything more than we already knew, in that restrictions will be lifted eventually ... but thanks for pointing that out ..

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Surely you see the post as a generic one as I do, not as I am dumb and I want to do this tomorrow!!

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
For the curious, it may be worth looking the parallel MHF thread on Portugal. Under ETIAS, individual EU countries are free to make bi-lateral tourist visa agreements with Third Countries. It seems that a UK applicant to the Portugese Immigration Service has just been told that as a tourist he would be granted a 90-day visa extension additonal to the Schengen 90 days on application and surrender of 63 euros. Under ETIAS, any excess stay over 90 days under the extension visa would not count againt the Schengen 90 allowed, as long as the tourist exited Schengen from the country that issued the extension visa, ie Portugal. This is obviously a problem for motorhomers in Portugal having to return to UK via Spain/or France.

As Portugal would seem to be amenable to bi-lateral agreements for tourism, France and Spain might feel the need to offer something similar to ensure they don't suffer economically? If France made a bi-lateral agreement with UK on tourist visas extensions, there would be no problem with having to leave directly from the country issuing the visa ie France.

Interesting. Does this indicate a path by which the "90 days in 180" hard line may be beginning to soften?

The EU's "ETIAS Visa extension by individual EU countires having bi-lateral tourist visa agreements with other Countries" is succinctly set out here:- Broken Link Removed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
For the curious, it may be worth looking the parallel MHF thread on Portugal. Under ETIAS, individual EU countries are free to make bi-lateral tourist visa agreements with Third Countries. It seems that a UK applicant to the Portugese Immigration Service has just been told that as a tourist he would be granted a 90-day visa extension additonal to the Schengen 90 days on application and surrender of 63 euros. Under ETIAS, any excess stay over 90 days under the extension visa would not count againt the Schengen 90 allowed, as long as the tourist exited Schengen from the country that issued the extension visa, ie Portugal. This is obviously a problem for motorhomers in Portugal having to return to UK via Spain/or France.

As Portugal would seem to be amenable to bi-lateral agreements for tourism, France and Spain might feel the need to offer something similar to ensure they don't suffer economically? If France made a bi-lateral agreement with UK on tourist visas extensions, there would be no problem with having to leave directly from the country issuing the visa ie France.

Interesting. Does this indicate a path by which the "90 days in 180" hard line may be beginning to soften?

The EU's "ETIAS Visa extension by individual EU countires having bi-lateral tourist visa agreements with other Countries" is succinctly set out here:- Broken Link Removed.
None of this is new . A TCN could always apply for a long stay visa to work , study or a longer stay for a cultural exchange .
As I have said it will dépend whether staying each year for a longer holiday fits the criteria . I see it might for second homes but time will tell .

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Let's hope so I want to go home!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If you are a UK pensioner in receipt of a state pension ,then yes you have full health care when in the UK.
Well you learn something every day ! I do believe if you need treatment when there you need your S1 but in our case E121! Been here too long ! Hopefully won’t need it as one week across the channel is enough for me lol

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Filopastry

I'm not sure the first part if your post adds anything positive to the discussion. I've already made it clear we need to wait until we get approval.

The only part that i think is worth reading is the info on the French TV news, but even that doesn't add anything more than we already knew, in that restrictions will be lifted eventually ... but thanks for pointing that out ..
thank you, I am pleased at least you found something worth reading in my post. I will try harder in future . NOT!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Surely you see the post as a generic one as I do, not as I am dumb and I want to do this tomorrow!!
you personally, I do not know nor would I make an assumption as to your intelligence, obviously, but some I suspect would/do. My post was not intended as an attack on anyone, simply explaining "the scene" as we see it over here.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The two countries that will lead on this will be France and Spain as they are the first country the majority of UK tourists hit.
They are also the two countries with the largest 'ex-pat' British populations
and other than Ireland and Holland, the only ones with direct UK borders

I would presume France & Spain will need to come to a joint decision on the way forward, and the rest of the EU will follow their lead.

However as neither country is going to be letting in hordes of British citizens this summer, my guess is they will announce something at the end of 2021 in time for the 2022 summer holiday season

OP
OP
Peter and Julie
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
The two countries that will lead on this will be France and Spain as they are the first country the majority of UK tourists hit.

I would presume France & Spain will need to come to a joint decision on the way forward, and the rest of the EU will follow their lead.

However as neither country is going to be letting in hordes of British citizens this summer, my guess is they will announce something at the end of 2021 in time for the 2022 summer holiday season
NOOooooooooooo! You've just dashed the hopes of hundreds if not thousands of motor homers UK wide! :LOL:
Personally I think it will be May 2021!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

I don’t think we possibly being one of the biggest immigrants to France (ex U.K. ers ) will influence the governments decisions . More likely data and vaccine programme .

OP
OP
Peter and Julie
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Mmmm from someone on the ground . Doubtful given the next tranche of vaccination group is possibly not till mid April here
BUT! Same as the UK, will the economy in France and the UK be able to stand dormant for another year? Doubt it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back