four mice today !!! (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
After servicing my batteries i had a look at the various glue mats.

Three meeces stuck to the one under the bathroom sink cupboard (seems to be main access point but cant get access to seal it) and one stuck under the kitchen sink.

Suitably disposed of....carrier bag > landfill wheely bin.

First ones we've had this winter.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Poor Joy (Movan)has got rats in hers she is not impressed, hopefully they have not chewed through anything but one had got inside her wellys :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been inundated with the dam things all winter, I've resorted to the glue traps as well. Caught 6 last week I put bait down as well now they are eating the bait and ignoring the glue traps. Also have rats in the chicken run.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Apparently it's been a really bad year for rodents, as in plague proportions, I have this on good authority from my window cleaner who also doubles as my pest controller. We have rats in the attic and mice! Clear at the moment, but it has been awful. Especially when you hear them scratching and squealing! Ugh!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I sprayed my van all over the Well arches with peppermint essence and we haven't had one yet in the same storeg site one van is over run
it rely is thare own fault as they did not clean there van right when they stored it
we vacuumed all the food storage arias in the van and then cleaned with Dettol
bill

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We have rats in the garden, suspected them for a while as the dogs have been going mad and we had them a few years ago.
I actually saw a huge one on the patio just before we came away and having a look around the garden I think I've found where the burrow is.
Hopefully, they seem to be keeping away from the van but we are careful about what's left in there.
Need to work out how we are going to get rid as soon as we get home on Monday.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I picked our MH up from storage the other day after a 7 week interval. All the bait blocks I'd left in an upturned ice cream carton behind the front wheel had gone, as had the block I left in the engine bay. There were signs of gnawing on the insulation of my temporary split relay charger circuit that I use to keep the cab battery healthy. Inside there were mouse droppings etc on the dashboard, signs of a gnawed entry in the front passenger foot well (their usual route), and all three bait trays I left in the habitation area had been nibbled. More droppings on the habitation area floor, but no sign of a deceased rodent anywhere, so maybe that's a little surprise for the future.

Not as bad as it's been before, probably thanks to my laying more bait on the outside, but the little buggers don't give up. I'm going to have to do something about the front foot well.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Apparently it's been a really bad year for rodents, as in plague proportions, I have this on good authority from my window cleaner who also doubles as my pest controller.

As one who works in an old large wooden building in a rural location with a pond nearby I can certainly vouch for an increase in rat activity during last year. They were scoffing the bait as soon as we laid it and were coming back for more.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We had mice in the garden at our static last year, I caught 22 one weekend. One got in the van a couple of weeks ago and threw itself on a trap. I found out how it got in and covered the tiny tiny hole in the main bedroom on suite. Good luck peeps.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apparently it's been a really bad year for rodents, as in plague proportions, I have this on good authority from my window cleaner who also doubles as my pest controller. We have rats in the attic and mice! Clear at the moment, but it has been awful. Especially when you hear them scratching and squealing! Ugh!
I know only tooooooo well how bl**dy annoying it is to have rats in the attic ... we've had at least one all winter and can't get rid of the little b*gger! We've tried all sorts of bait but the little swine ignores it ... I heard him again last night having a gnaw at the rafters ... just hope we don't get inundated whilst we're away for 6 weeks in Spain from Tuesday! :eek:

It wasn't helped though by the next door neighbour feeding a feral cat by leaving a saucer of food outside for it ... fortunately she's stopped now so if it does deign to eat the rat bait it won't be 'diluted' with other food so might kill the little sod once and for all. :mad:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Oh, no, we've got a rat on the MHF site now!
picture-of-a-rat-630x240.jpg

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Eeeew yuck, horrible things. We have been lucky with our mh so far.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not as cute as my pet rats though when I had them .... they actually make excellent pets (different strain of rat than the wild ones I hasten to add!).

M & A 7.jpg

Sprite on Couch cropped.jpg

Spring in glass cropped.jpg

Sprite out glass cropped.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I sprayed my van all over the Well arches with peppermint essence and we haven't had one yet in the same storeg site one van is over run
it rely is thare own fault as they did not clean there van right when they stored it
we vacuumed all the food storage arias in the van and then cleaned with Dettol
bill
Been trying to get some of that here , or peppermint anything, as I've been having a war with one around the car !!
He's winning at the mo ! (n):D

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Been trying to get some of that here , or peppermint anything, as I've been having a war with one around the car !!
He's winning at the mo ! (n):D
is it only one hose pip in thug window it it only one that should sort it out
bill

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Not according to the RSPCA and the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

That is, I am hoping you didn't throw away a live glue trapped animal into the bin. They will struggle so much on them as to dislocate and break their limbs, sometimes chewing one to try and escape. Regardless, starving an animal to death on a trap is a completely inhumane and disgusting thing to do. If you're going to trap and kill animals, at least have the decency to do it quickly and painlessly.

That's a very interesting first post.................imo of course.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

That is, I am hoping you didn't throw away a live glue trapped animal into the bin. They will struggle so much on them as to dislocate and break their limbs, sometimes chewing one to try and escape. Regardless, starving an animal to death on a trap is a completely inhumane and disgusting thing to do. If you're going to trap and kill animals, at least have the decency to do it quickly and painlessly.
Says a non member, without a motorhome, who lives in the Milky Way. Be realistic, these things are vermin, and do terrible damage if left to their own devices. Kill them anyway you can, all's fair in war. (y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Had vermin in the van in the past. Now have moth balls spread around the van, plus a 12 volt sonic anti vermin box, which is German and was designed for keeping Martens away from vehicles ( a big problem in Germany). The box is a KEMO M100N and cost £12.90
PPP about £6 if I remember correctly..Its only about 3 inches by 2 by 1.. I fitted a cigarette lighter plug on the end and I have put it up on top of the centre Heki blackout shutter facing downwards.
It has a140 degree arc of effectiveness and touch wood, nothing seen yet !!
PS. I can't STAND rats and we had a plague of them this year ( I shot best part of a dozen)
and they are still around.. Countryfolk say that where you have mice you won't get rats and vice versa !! Kill them all I say..
PSS. We ARE conservation minded people and have had about 25 grass snakes born this year in our compost heaps.. Just to keep the "Voiceless" one off my case !!!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You can't kill them "anyway you can"
And who the hell is going to stop you, God?? :confused: If farmers can shoot and wound dogs. El hal butchers can torture sheep before killing them live, and Jap's can harpoon whales, without sanction, then the RSPCA can go run as far as mice and rats are concerned. You should have seen how my mink trap made them gnaw their own legs off to get away, and only because lovey dovey animal rights idiots let the damn things loose into the countryside in the first place. You want to see 'cruel'? Just look what a fox does in a hen coop, or what the IRA did putting your fellow humans through pig food mincers whilst still alive. :mad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If an uninvited thing steps inside any of my property, hell hath no fury to match what I will dish out !! Its a bloody great big world out there, stay out of my little bit of it !!! Or die !!!

Oooooh, this IS a fun site !!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Wise words, and certainly a page from my own book. (y)(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

I am sure that papajohn as a animal loving and responsible person would not allow a animal to suffer
bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I recall someone pouring boiling water over a squirrel trapped in a cage, this man got a conviction for animal cruelty.

Japan don't abide by UK laws. You do. You don't need a law to tell you torturing animals is wrong, anyway. You just need to be a decent person.

You are better than a fox, or the IRA... or at least I assume so...
your abut to run out of post (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back