Forward facing made to measure seating with 3 point seat belts (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
image.jpg
image.jpgI made a dummy frame up using a crash tested one as an example from a Renault master coachbuilt camper
An engineering company made a new one for me £425 and its powder coated
So if anyone wants one get in touchimage.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A nice job but is it legal without some kind of certification etc?

I was wondering that as well but a really nice neat job and ideal for self / custom builders.

Would it bolt to the subframe?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Looks lovely but my insurance only covers me for the no of seatbelts on the V5

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Looks lovely but my insurance only covers me for the no of seatbelts on the V5
The V5 can be changed easily enough as you just change the number and send it off, however ensuring that any additional seats are legal could be a challenge.
I bought a new double seat with built in seat belts that are fitted to mini buses and once bolted down to the chassis this was fine.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Most if not all of the seat swivels available have never been certificated. Not sure how they would stand up to a good(bad) accident.
Aftermarket units and you may be right but I would be very surprised if 'factory' fitted ones by reputable brands like Burstner etc aren't 'certified' in that they carry a CE mark (or some such) of some kind and that the prototype of the vehicle was inspected for conformity........
In the bigger picture can you still just take an empty van and put what you want into it as regards seats etc etc.......if you brake hard and your passenger third row back flys forward and squishes your passenger second row forward with himself and his seat....who's to blame, you for fitting dickie seats or him for being a f*t f**k........?

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Aftermarket units and you may be right but I would be very surprised if 'factory' fitted ones by reputable brands like Burstner etc aren't 'certified' in that they carry a CE mark (or some such) of some kind and that the prototype of the vehicle was inspected for conformity........
In the bigger picture can you still just take an empty van and put what you want into it as regards seats etc etc.......if you brake hard and your passenger third row back flys forward and squishes your passenger second row forward with himself and his seat....who's to blame, you for fitting dickie seats or him for being a f*t f**k........?
Obviously caught a nerve here
Professional made by certified welder
Bolted through 6mm plate steel also bonded to floor steel reinforced underside
No passenger is going anywhere from this seat
Made from thicker steel than the certified one in my other van

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Most if not all of the seat swivels available have never been certificated. Not sure how they would stand up to a good(bad) accident.
Interesting I will contact Jennings seats to ask about the ones I have bought out of interest

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I was wondering that as well but a really nice neat job and ideal for self / custom builders.

Would it bolt to the subframe?
I have taken out quite a few minibus seats over the yrs most are not through a subframe

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I am more than happy with what I have done and built out of ply glued screwed and pu bonded
I know what van I’d rather have an accident in
Hopefully that will never happen

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Have you informed your insurance provider? If not it may invalidate your insurance.
This as well as some other points are good questions.
I will be meeting all insurance requirements with regards the seat belts and forward facing seats,If it doesnt meet them i shall just remove the belts ,
It for us is only to use as a dinning room seat as there is only the 2 of us.
If in the future we sell the van i will be removing the seat belts (keeping them while we have it as they are good for securing things /boxes down.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Obviously caught a nerve here
Professional made by certified welder
Bolted through 6mm plate steel also bonded to floor steel reinforced underside
No passenger is going anywhere from this seat
Made from thicker steel than the certified one in my other van
I think the only trapped nerve is your humour one.......or maybe you need an emoji to highlight things......here you go then....;)

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I thought i would look into this for the ones i have purchased .FASP swivel seat bases and am pleased they are crash tested and supply a lot of the leading maufactures at least thats what they say.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
It all is set out here I think and it all reads as advice and recommendations rather than specific requirements. Unless I am reading it wrong.

I think you're right....it's pretty much a free for all so long as it all stays good ( you'll be bollocks'ed if it goes wrong).....except for kids and seat belts, that are need for kids and should be certified ones ( really are there any other than...?).

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I think you're right....it's pretty much a free for all so long as it all stays good ( you'll be bollocks'ed if it goes wrong).....except for kids and seat belts, that are need for kids and should be certified ones ( really are there any other than...?).
Yes agree .time to edit first post

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood