Foreigner people ... (1 Viewer)

JoseJu

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Cambridgeshire/Malaga
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Well, perhaps is not very appropriate the title but I had that experience with Comfort Insurance.
They do not insure people who have not UK driving license. I have EU driving license.
I have experience for more than thirty years driving cars, motorbikes, vans ... Even, I am driving here in England a business van.

So, I posted this to ask you if you know a insurance company where I could get my insurance.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Jose

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Without a UK licence and British postal/residents address your options are extremely restricted.
None of the popular insurers will insure without a UK address and licence.
If you look on the Australian camper websites they may be helpful as quite a lot of Australians come to the UK and buy motorhomes.
Others may know the names of such insurers.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I believe that NFU will insure people with an international licence. The farming part of their business certainly does

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Well, perhaps is not very appropriate the title but I had that experience with Comfort Insurance.
They do not insure people who have not UK driving license. I have EU driving license.
I have experience for more than thirty years driving cars, motorbikes, vans ... Even, I am driving here in England a business van.

So, I posted this to ask you if you know a insurance company where I could get my insurance.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Jose
Hi
Where are you resident for tax ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just take a driving test , makes life simple
Why ? The Uk is the only country that insists on a Uk licence, & illegally-
The companies appear to have got together to form a cartel all stating that they do not want to insure you.
Same with any driver, that went, Same with any vehicle that went. 'Knock fr knock ' ?? What the f is that all about. All just a means to scam the insured whilst increasing income for the scum.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Why ? The Uk is the only country that insists on a Uk licence, & illegally-
The companies appear to have got together to form a cartel all stating that they do not want to insure you.
Same with any driver, that went, Same with any vehicle that went. 'Knock fr knock ' ?? What the f is that all about. All just a means to scam the insured whilst increasing income for the scum.
Quite simple, if you don’t like the rules don’t play the game. Half the trouble with the world today, everyone thinks that they are entitled and the rules should not apply to them.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I feel your pain over UK insurance companies for the common man.
It took setting up a holding company in Europe to over come vehicle insurance restrictions made by UK companies. Not ideal and time consuming, however the cover available is flexible and none person based.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Quite simple, if you don’t like the rules don’t play the game. Half the trouble with the world today, everyone thinks that they are entitled and the rules should not apply to them.
Gus-Lopez is right though.

UK insurance is one big money making racket along with 1000’s Of scammers raking money in from the insurers. Who pays ?. The policyholders who, themselves are often , out to make a quick buck.

The amount of people I have heard spouting how they got £400 compensation for a tap on the bumper. Or how the entire family were in the vehicle suffering whiplash. Claiming tens of thousands. But In truth, a lot of it is false and fraudulent. The claimants are allowed to get away with it!, because ?. The insurance companies just charge it back to everyone in increased premiums.

It’s should be stopped.
If you had whiplash, you really would know about it. It can be life changing and those people should be compensated.

Not the people who are automatically entities to £???? And the following weekend are at the theme park riding roller coasters.

OP
OP
JoseJu

JoseJu

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Cambridgeshire/Malaga
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Hi
Where are you resident for tax ?
Hello Eurotrotters.... I am based in Cambridgeshire almost since 6 years ago. Driving company van since more than 3 years here, in UK.
But this is not the point.
Why one company can insure me and another not?
But it is ok. I follow the rules. It does not matter at all. It was just a question to know an answer.
From the 1st of January I wll pass my UK driving license. So, I hope to resolve the another habdycap... I need unless 2 years UK driving license to be insure depend of the companies.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Gus-Lopez is right though.

UK insurance is one big money making racket along with 1000’s Of scammers raking money in from the insurers. Who pays ?. The policyholders who, themselves are often , out to make a quick buck.

The amount of people I have heard spouting how they got £400 compensation for a tap on the bumper. Or how the entire family were in the vehicle suffering whiplash. Claiming tens of thousands. But In truth, a lot of it is false and fraudulent. The claimants are allowed to get away with it!, because ?. The insurance companies just charge it back to everyone in increased premiums.

It’s should be stopped.
If you had whiplash, you really would know about it. It can be life changing and those people should be compensated.

Not the people who are automatically entities to £???? And the following weekend are at the theme park riding roller coasters.
So going with what you want. We all go down to vanbitz knowing that they only fit product X and in their way. We should be entitled to demand and force them to fit product Y , the way we want and for the price we want to pay. Like I said if you don’t like it don’t do it simple.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So going with what you want. We all go down to vanbitz knowing that they only fit product X and in their way. We should be entitled to demand and force them to fit product Y , the way we want and for the price we want to pay. Like I said if you don’t like it don’t do it simple.
I do just that, I unsure several vehicles elsewhere in Europe. Comparable if not better cover and I don’t have to tell them my inside leg measurements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have noticed that year on year insurers ask more and more questions while adding more and more restrictions but the cost goes up.
My motorhome insurer even stops European cover unless I pay extra.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a Brit who lives in Spain, a Spanish resident for all bureaucratic and financial purposes and I hold a Spanish driving licence.

This year I needed to insure a UK-registered car for me to drive through the summer because I was back in the UK caring for elderly parents. Like the OP, I found getting quotes from all the usual suspects impossible because of my residency status and my Spanish (EU) licence.

The only company I found who would broker cover was Keith Michaels. I believe the policy is actually underwritten by Aviva but they wouldn't deal with me direct. The cover cost me about three times as much as the equivalent quotes I could get online for a Brit resident/licence holder.

I note the OP is hoping to get his UK licence soon - good luck - but if you need cover in the meantime, you could try Keith Michaels.

OP
OP
JoseJu

JoseJu

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Cambridgeshire/Malaga
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Hi JoseJu have you tried ibex or Abbeygate (there may be others) in Spain they are UK company's that insure UK plated vehicles in Spain. They may be able to quote you for the UK.
Thank you Bolti. I will check that option. (Interesting)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if you don’t like the rules don’t play the game.
that is why you have to use the rules to your benefit.
No you are missing the point.
A uk insurance broker is supposed to work for the benefit of the client.= You.
In the event of any type of accident they are supposed to act on your behalf & secure the best outcome for you. They are not supposed to allow the insurance company to collude with the other parties to secure the cheapest possible outcome for both companies.
To take it to the Nth degree. In the unfortunate event that you were killed they should be doing all the work to ensure the best outcome for your family & estate especially in the event that you were completely blameless.
My motorhome insurer even stops European cover unless I pay extra.
I think you will find that they reduce cover to Third party or third party, fire & theft rather than full comp which ,unfortunately a loophole in EU law allows them to do but the UK is the ONLY european country that does it. All others extend cover to ALL EU states exactly as when you are in your own country.

Me personally if asked by an insurance company " do you hold a full UK licence ?" the answer would be "yes" . I have just exchanged it for an EU one at the moment.
Failing that you insure it in a UK residents name then are added as the extra driver complete with your Spanish licence, as I am on a friends vehicles.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
So basically interpreting the rules to suit what an individual wants is ok then. Then in the next breath people are bleating how everyone is selfish. It’s like I have always thought don’t care about anybody else apart from your self is the only way it works.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So basically interpreting the rules to suit what an individual wants is ok then. Then in the next breath people are bleating how everyone is selfish. It’s like I have always thought don’t care about anybody else apart from your self is the only way it works.
Unfortunately these days it's often the only way to survive

Insurance dont want you to lie

But they often cant handle the truth as it's a trained robot on the other end with no free thinking to interpret different answers etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back