FORD Come Good with Wet Cam Belt Engine Fixed Under Warranty at 125,000 Miles (3 Viewers)

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
I wasn’t aware of the OM654 being built by Renault. Mine is an older 2014 sprinter.

I was aware of the rest of the info you posted. Only good thing about the X Class is the V6 version.

Just looked my car engines up. One is classed In the top ten engines in the world, one is unique to one car and the other, my Range Rover is a fire engine !
You have probably got the OM651 fitted, this is the 2143cc that came out in 2008, I have this fitted in my wife's 2015 C250 and in our 2021 Hymer Sprinter. The sprinter in only just having the newer 2L OM654 fitted.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Not much I know, but one is a standard fit 130ps the other 2 are 160 & 180ps expensive cost options. With Fiat the jump to 180ps costs almost £3k and if the punter wants the performance of the 170ps Ford you need to spend yet another nigh on £4k for the 9 speed auto.

Circa £6660 extra to get an aging Fiat platform to the same performance as a Ford? No thank you.

Many European models only come with the 120 Multijet III as standard which won't pull you out of bed far less pull a loaded 3500kg motorhome up a decent British hill.
Yes it will easily. Not so long ago we were driving 85bhp motorhomes and it was not a problem.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You have probably got the OM651 fitted, this is the 2143cc that came out in 2008, I have this fitted in my wife's 2015 C250 and in our 2021 Hymer Sprinter. The sprinter in only just having the newer 2L OM654 fitted.
I have had several OM612 (5 cylinder) and OM642 (V6) powered sprinters. The V6’s were lovely and smooth, but I preferred the 5 cylinders for their reliability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Same, 17 plate.

This all stems from the injector problems they had. Too much diesel in, washing into the oil. That was why they had problems with it coming up oil change required after low mileage.

They tried to fix initially with ECU update, but that didn't work. They were slow to fix that problem, and recently realised oil full of diesel isn't any good for the van belt.

This engine has been a bit of a pig for Ford....

The ROWP recall made me laugh. "If the pump fails, the fuse is too big to prevent melted wires, so we're putting in a smaller fuse."

The only way they've found this is because the pumps are failing.... Surely THAT needs changing????
“ROWP”

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Yes it will easily. Not so long ago we were driving 85bhp motorhomes and it was not a problem.
I'm not that worried about BHP, it's the torque that matters. Hence why I opted for the standard 130 Ford. At 3500kg I don't need the larger capacity engine. Thinking on though, I don't want to be crawling up a hill struggling to reach 40 with a 5 speed box screaming at 3-3500 revs.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I feel I must defend the 120 in my Murvi Morello, with my tools etc., it runs near to the 3.5 tons most of the time.
I have never had any trouble cruising at 65-70mph (quite the opposite in fact, my trouble has been trying to keep within the speed limit) and again, hills have never been a problem.

Perhaps my practice of good maintenance & yearly oil change and service is paying dividends? :unsure:
As the Multijet III 120 has only been around for a little under a year I doubt it's needed an oil change. If your Morello is in a Fiat and more than 12 months old it's probably on the older 115 MultiJet II with 280NM or torque. The new Multijet III 120 only has 210Nm.

Most of the Murvi Morello XL's ordered through 2021/22 and now into 2023 are being built on the L4 Transit chassis.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
As the Multijet III 120 has only been around for a little under a year I doubt it's needed an oil change. If your Morello is in a Fiat and more than 12 months old it's probably on the older 115 MultiJet II with 280NM or torque. The new Multijet III 120 only has 210Nm.

Most of the Murvi Morello XL's ordered through 2021/22 and now into 2023 are being built on the L4 Transit chassis.

Strange, just had a look at Murvi website and they still advertise that you can get any of their models on either a Fiat or Transit AND if you want, what in my opinion is their best model, the Morello, you can also get a Merc as well as the other.
(Don't you just hate it when converters lie to you! :cry:)

The other thing is, my 2007 Fiat Ducato 33 120 multijet LWB, 2.3ltr (according to the V5) I think it really is a 120 or they have wasted a perfectly good badge on the wing that also states the same? :LOL:

PS. What would put me off a Transit, if the stories are to believed, is how easily they can be nicked. :unsure:

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Strange, just had a look at Murvi website and they still advertise that you can get any of their models on either a Fiat or Transit AND if you want, what in my opinion is their best model, the Morello, you can also get a Merc as well as the other.
(Don't you just hate it when converters lie to you! :cry:)

The other thing is, my 2007 Fiat Ducato 33 120 multijet LWB, 2.3ltr (according to the V5) I think it really is a 120 or they have wasted a perfectly good badge on the wing that also states the same? :LOL:

PS. What would put me off a Transit, if the stories are to believed, is how easily they can be nicked. :unsure:
I think it's more to do with what the converters can currently get their hands on rather than customers exclusively choosing Ford. Many of the Ford users are having the 170 engine across the board rather than offering the engine choice. This is due to availability.

The 120 you have is the original Multijet, it's an Iveco engine with a very fine 320Nm of torque. Excellent for the capacity but is probably Euro IV in this new strictly policed emission world we live in.

They dumped it in 2010 for the 115 Multijet II with, as I mentioned a reduction to 280Nm. This is a Fiat/Chrysler derivative of an engine family. This is Euro V originally they then added another DPF and recirculation in order for it to reach Euro VI Temp when the PSA powered SEVEL's went across to AdBlue.

Last years launched EuroVI Final 120 Multijet III has 210Nm of torque a full 110Nm less than your 2007 Murvi.

The Mk8 Facelift Transits are now more difficult to nick as Ford have addressed the exposed wiring loom issue and the door locks... but it hasn't stopped me fitting an OBD cover, steering lock, extra door locks, wheel clamp & post!

Last edited:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think it's more to do with what the converters can currently get their hands on rather than customers exclusively choosing Ford. Many of the Ford users are having the 170 engine across the board rather than offering the engine choice. This is due to availability.

The 120 you have is the original Multijet, it's an Iveco engine with a very fine 320Nm of torque. Excellent for the capacity but is probably Euro IV in this new strictly policed emission world we live in.

They dumped it in 2010 for the 115 Multijet II with, as I mentioned a reduction to 280Nm. This is a Fiat/Chrysler derivative of an engine family. This is Euro V originally they then added another DPF and recirculation in order for it to reach Euro VI Temp when the PSA powered SEVEL's went across to AdBlue.

Last years launched EuroVI Final 120 Multijet III has 210Nm of torque a full 110Nm less than your 2007 Murvi.
Someone stuffed a rag up the exhaust?!!!🤣🤣

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

The Mk8 Facelift Transits are now more difficult to nick as Ford have addressed the exposed wiring loom issue and the door locks... but it hasn't stopped me fitting an OBD cover, steering lock, extra door locks, wheel clamp & post!

Yes I have the Iveco Euro 4 engine that has no Cat or DPF so no problems with the Cat stealing and, like you, I have added extra security.

I also, when I bought it a few years ago, quickly re-registered from PLG to a Motorcaravan which will help with the growing Emission areas in this country and the French have issued it with a Crit-Air certificate, so everything looks good.

I also agree with you that the extra sales of Transits lately has as much to do with scarcity of Fiats than preference of Fords.

Good to hear that Fords have done something about security.

PS. It make me wonder sometimes, WHY, when these large companies are on to a good vehicle, why they change to a lesser product?

A number of years ago, I had a Mk 2 Renault Grand Espace (made by Matra, the French engineering company) then Renault took over the production of the Espace (cutting out Matra) and the rest were rubbish.

Take care! :giggle:

Last edited:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Yes I have the Iveco Euro 4 engine that has no Cat or DPF so no problems with the Cat stealing and, like you, I have added extra security.

I also, when I bought it a few years ago, quickly re-registered from PLG to a Motorcaravan which will help with the growing Emission areas in this country and the French have issued it with a Crit-Air certificate, so everything looks good.

I also agree with you that the extra sales of Transits lately has as much to do with scarcity of Fiats than preference of Fords.

Good to hear that Fords have done something about security.

PS. It make me wonder sometimes, WHY, when these large companies are on to a good vehicle, why they change to a lesser product?

A number of years ago, I had a Mk 2 Renault Grand Espace (made by Matra, the French engineering company) then Renault took over the production of the Espace (cutting out Matra) and the rest were rubbish.

Take care! :giggle:
Like use fiats rather than Fords?!🤣🤣🍿🍿

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back