FORD Come Good with Wet Cam Belt Engine Fixed Under Warranty at 125,000 Miles (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Ford's must advise change of belt before 125,000mls surely?? that seems an awful long way, over 12yrs if one takes the average as 10.000 per year??
66 Plate is as shown

I am not sure how the "wet Cambelt" works. I have been told you should not use engine flush when changing oil.

Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 00.00.31.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We had a 66 plate Ford where there was a recall and that meant the cambelt was changed for nothing and the oil all changed.
It wasnt the owner's fault that he/she did that amount of mileage with a dodgy cambelt.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
We had a 66 plate Ford where there was a recall and that meant the cambelt was changed for nothing and the oil all changed.
It wasnt the owner's fault that he/she did that amount of mileage with a dodgy cambelt.

Same, 17 plate.

This all stems from the injector problems they had. Too much diesel in, washing into the oil. That was why they had problems with it coming up oil change required after low mileage.

They tried to fix initially with ECU update, but that didn't work. They were slow to fix that problem, and recently realised oil full of diesel isn't any good for the van belt.

This engine has been a bit of a pig for Ford....

The ROWP recall made me laugh. "If the pump fails, the fuse is too big to prevent melted wires, so we're putting in a smaller fuse."

The only way they've found this is because the pumps are failing.... Surely THAT needs changing????

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Has anyone said it was?? :unsure:

I said "It wasnt the owner's fault that he/she did that amount of mileage with a dodgy cambelt" and as you rightly question if anyone has said the opposite, and nobody has, I must, by default, be right.

Thank you for confirmation

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I said "It wasnt the owner's fault that he/she did that amount of mileage with a dodgy cambelt" and as you rightly question if anyone has said the opposite, and nobody has, I must, by default, be right.

Thank you for confirmation

You didn't used to be married too me by any chance, did you?? :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ford's must advise change of belt before 125,000mls surely?? that seems an awful long way,
The "wet belt" was meant to be in place of a chain with a huge life.
If the pump fails, the fuse is too big to prevent melted wires, so we're putting in a smaller fuse."
What idiot puts an electric oil pump also driven by a wet belt, in the sump? What idiot glues the sump on?
Who designs an engine where both cam shafts and the slim aluminium carrier they are in are one part?
Who invented" push on cam lobes"?
The list is endless. Slightest problem very few have the ability to fix it.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The "wet belt" was meant to be in place of a chain with a huge life.

What idiot puts an electric oil pump also driven by a wet belt, in the sump? What idiot glues the sump on?
Who designs an engine where both cam shafts and the slim aluminium carrier they are in are one part?
Who invented" push on cam lobes"?
The list is endless. Slightest problem very few have the ability to fix it.
It's the way Ford want it, only they can do the work on them which is why they don't have any agents... and why their Transit Centres are full earning them plenty of cash. I'd still rather have our Ecoblue than the poor Fiat Multijet III & the exorbitantly priced 9 speed (which needs the first 3 gears just to get the wheels turning) or the Renault powered Merc'. I can't even consider the Pug as it's not available with auto transmission.

Standard 2.0 EcoBlue wet belt change on the Transit is 150,000 miles.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
we had a 66 plate transit in at work, belt failed at 72000 miles belt had not broken but teeth had fallen off

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'm happier with my 2.2!!!

Dpf issues accepted!

They went back to 2.2 later iirc??

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It's the way Ford want it, only they can do the work on them which is why they don't have any agents... and why their Transit Centres are full earning them plenty of cash. I'd still rather have our Ecoblue than the poor Fiat Multijet III & the exorbitantly priced 9 speed (which needs the first 3 gears just to get the wheels turning) or the Renault powered Merc'. I can't even consider the Pug as it's not available with auto transmission.

Standard 2.0 EcoBlue wet belt change on the Transit is 150,000 miles.
Which Renault Powered Mercedes’ is that ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's the way Ford want it, only they can do the work on them which is why they don't have any agents... and why their Transit Centres are full earning them plenty of cash
**That just reminded me that as you say they don't sell the parts.the salvage rebuild I watched picked up new parts from a Polish bloke who buys new crate motors & breaks them to sell the parts on.That's where they got the cam assemblys.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Which Renault Powered Mercedes’ is that ?
The OM654 150hp engine is a Renault unit used in the Sprinters & Vito's. The 1.5's & 1.6's they use use in their A & B Class are all Renault/Nissan Alliance engines.

The X Class is a rebadged Nissan Navarra & Renault Alaskan, the Citan is a rebadged Kangoo and is also the same platform Renault use on the Dacia. The Smart Forfour is basically a Renault Twingo and is built in the same factory on the same production line.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The OM654 150hp engine is a Renault unit used in the Sprinters & Vito's. The 1.5's & 1.6's they use use in their A & B Class are all Renault/Nissan Alliance engines.

The X Class is a rebadged Nissan Navarra & Renault Alaskan, the Citan is a rebadged Kangoo and is also the same platform Renault use on the Dacia. The Smart Forfour is basically a Renault Twingo and is built in the same factory on the same production line.

You do realise, you have just knocked the bragging rights of some, faithful, Merc. owners?
(although 1.5 & 1.6ltr seems, to my untrained Merc eye, a bit small for an A or B class?)

Life for them will never be the same again! :cry:

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We’ve just agreed to buy a new 2022 Chausson with the Ford 170 2.0 with 6-speed Auto transmission. Current MH is manual and has Fiat 2.3 150. Hoping we haven’t made a mistake as I wasn’t aware of the Ford cam-belt issues at time of agreement. When I told the salesman the Fiat had just had a new cam-belt fitted he told me I didn’t need to worry about the Ford as it’s a chain!!!! Not sure if he was not telling the truth or just didn’t know.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

Are you sure the om654 is a Renault engine.
I know the smaller 1.6 is but the bigger engine?

It's been down graded in side to 2.0 from the 2.2 it was for many years.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Are you sure the om654 is a Renault engine.
I know the smaller 1.6 is but the bigger engine?

It's been down graded in side to 2.0 from the 2.2 it was for many years.
The Daimler engine was part of the partnership and stake ownership agreement they signed with Renault & Nissan over ten years ago. Renault replaced many of the components for cheaper alternatives built in their Brittany factory. Nissan built Daimler engines in the U.S.A. Likewise the Infiniti which was built in Sunderland was a Mercedes platform. The Vito also uses a Renault gearbox.
(although 1.5 & 1.6ltr seems, to my untrained Merc eye, a bit small for an A or B class?)
There's also a 1.3 engine which is used by the three companies. They may seem small but you can now get 150hp 1.0 engines. Don't forget that all F1 cars use a 1.6.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve just agreed to buy a new 2022 Chausson with the Ford 170 2.0 with 6-speed Auto transmission. Current MH is manual and has Fiat 2.3 150. Hoping we haven’t made a mistake as I wasn’t aware of the Ford cam-belt issues at time of agreement. When I told the salesman the Fiat had just had a new cam-belt fitted he told me I didn’t need to worry about the Ford as it’s a chain!!!! Not sure if he was not telling the truth or just didn’t know.
You'll be fine, the injector issue has been sorted, Ford have changed supplier. Overall they don't have cambelt issues, incidents are anecdotal.

Ford proved this during their 8 year supply deal they've just signed with Hymer.

Across the gear range the Ford 170 fitted with either 6 speed MT or 6 speed AT outperforms Fiat's new 180 Multijet III which must be mated to their 9 speed automatic transmission (AT) in order to reach anything near the 400+Nm of torque they advertise. With the manual transmission (MT) both the 160 & 180 Fiat Multijet III produce less torque (380Nm) than Fords 130 EcoBlue (385Nm).

From 2024 Fiat will also need to adjust the emission output again in order to comply with the incoming Euro 7 regs. Ford, Peugeot, Merc'/Renault/Nissan & VAG/MAN don't.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
That's a bit confusing. It's worth noting though that chains can be even worse than belts. Just Google mini BMW 1.6 diesels. The chains stretch and it's an engine our job. If you run with a stretched chain, kaboom. Engine wrecked.

I speak from experience.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Across the gear range the Ford 170 fitted with either 6 speed MT or 6 speed AT outperforms Fiat's new 180 Multijet III which must be mated to their 9 speed automatic transmission (AT) in order to reach anything near the 400+Nm of torque they advertise. With the manual transmission (MT) both the 160 & 180 Fiat Multijet III produce less torque (380Nm) than Fords 130 EcoBlue (385Nm).
That's a whole 5Nm less.:unsure:

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I wasn’t aware of the OM654 being built by Renault. Mine is an older 2014 sprinter.

I was aware of the rest of the info you posted. Only good thing about the X Class is the V6 version.

Just looked my car engines up. One is classed In the top ten engines in the world, one is unique to one car and the other, my Range Rover is a fire engine !

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
That's a whole 5Nm less.:unsure:
Not much I know, but one is a standard fit 130ps the other 2 are 160 & 180ps expensive cost options. With Fiat the jump to 180ps costs almost £3k and if the punter wants the performance of the 170ps Ford you need to spend yet another nigh on £4k for the 9 speed auto.

Circa £6660 extra to get an aging Fiat platform to the same performance as a Ford? No thank you.

Many European models only come with the 120 Multijet III as standard which won't pull you out of bed far less pull a loaded 3500kg motorhome up a decent British hill.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I wasn’t aware of the OM654 being built by Renault. Mine is an older 2014 sprinter.

I was aware of the rest of the info you posted. Only good thing about the X Class is the V6 version.

Just looked my car engines up. One is classed In the top ten engines in the world, one is unique to one car and the other, my Range Rover is a fire engine !
I'm not sure either I think the om626 is a cousin to the r type Renault engine.

But no where can I see the om654 being Renault related??

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Many European models only come with the 120 Multijet III as standard which won't pull you out of bed far less pull a loaded 3500kg motorhome up a decent British hill.

I feel I must defend the 120 in my Murvi Morello, with my tools etc., it runs near to the 3.5 tons most of the time.
I have never had any trouble cruising at 65-70mph (quite the opposite in fact, my trouble has been trying to keep within the speed limit) and again, hills have never been a problem.

Perhaps my practice of good maintenance & yearly oil change and service is paying dividends? :unsure:

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That's a bit confusing. It's worth noting though that chains can be even worse than belts. Just Google mini BMW 1.6 diesels. The chains stretch and it's an engine our job. If you run with a stretched chain, kaboom. Engine wrecked.

I speak from experience.
The YouTube mechanic who looks after mondeo taxi. He said on the fleet he looks after the oil is changed religiously every 15,000 miles and the earliest chain to go was 220,000 miles

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back