For better, for worse........definitely for poorer!!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Yes…….gone and done it..…….went to the NEC just to check a few things...…..bought a new MoHo!!!

Had received a couple of complimentary tickets to the Show from VW, as we were keen to have a look at the new VW Crafter based "Grand California" - part of the attraction being the publicised level of post-purchase support from some 71 VW Commercial Van Centres in the UK at which VW claim they will also have staff trained to support the habitation parts of the MoHo. Only a pre-production left-hand drive model was on show. This was the smaller of the two variants and had a rear transverse double bed, which is what we wish to get away from in our current PVC. Both this and the larger model are scheduled to start production in right-hand drive form in May with delivery from September, but will only be available in the UK with an automatic gearbox (not DSG, but torque-converter). Surprised to find how cramped it seemed inside, until I discovered the base vehicle width is narrower that the more common Fiat/Peugeot PVCs. SWMBO took an instant dislike to the interior harsh white finish and uphoulstery. Also, not cheap - probably starting at around £70,000 for the larger of the two models...... plus extras! Not for us.

A Funster Friend who bought a new Adria last year has had a fair few warranty fixes needed. He did not buy it from his local Adria dealer, as he got a better deal elswhere. Of course, his local dealer (not surprisingly) will not undertake any warranty work! Conscious of this we decided to have a look at IH conversions, as they are made/sold about 7 miles from where we live - convenient and they are often mentioned as having good customer support. However, for us the main drawback is that all of their models appear to need bed assembly each day - not for us.

Wandering on....... we came to the SMC Globecar stand. They are based some 45 miles from home, so manageable for any support needed we think. Yes - the Campscout met most of the desirable features we think suit us (from some 30 years of owning a smallish sail boat, we well understand the need for compromise), with a permanent fore/aft bed (unlike our current Autocruise Accent, with the inconvenience of nocturnal visits), 4 belted seats for occasional passengers - but only wanting one double berth, at 6.3m length and usual PVC width, SWMBO happy to help with the driving and should be little different from our present PVC for parking when needed in urban locations. SWMBO also liked the "Elegance Finish" of the internal fittings and uphoulstery.........SOLD!!!

So, I am now avidly reading the postings on the MHFun "Continental Models/Globecar" and becoming quite obsessed with what we may wish to modify/add post-delivery later this month, especially thanks to @Minxy Girl for her very helpful postings........the only problem being keeping the weight under 3,500 kg to meet our licence restrictions.

Not getting too excited......just lying awake in bed wondering if all the specified modifications/additional kit will take us too close to the weight limit!

:)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
This happened to me too, dangerous places for the wallet these shows!
We also ended up at the SMC Globecar stand and bought a Globescout Plus as it also ticked our boxes.

Quite well designed vans those Globecars :)

If you get a chance specify the 'heavy' or 'maxi' chassis option with 16" wheels (which it may have anyway) because if you get really stuck for weight you can get the weight limit upgraded and take your C1 tests.

Enjoy!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Exciting times for you both. Good luck and happy travels. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ha ha! Another person caught by a Globecar at NEC!!! I’m sure you won’t be disappointed .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I always tell people that shows are best for research rather than purchasing. But of course if everyone listened to me there would be no shows.:D Those of you who succumb on the day keep the shows alive. I can sense your excitement. Wishing you lots of fun filled adventures in your new van (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes…….gone and done it..…….went to the NEC just to check a few things...…..bought a new MoHo!!!

Had received a couple of complimentary tickets to the Show from VW, as we were keen to have a look at the new VW Crafter based "Grand California" - part of the attraction being the publicised level of post-purchase support from some 71 VW Commercial Van Centres in the UK at which VW claim they will also have staff trained to support the habitation parts of the MoHo. Only a pre-production left-hand drive model was on show. This was the smaller of the two variants and had a rear transverse double bed, which is what we wish to get away from in our current PVC. Both this and the larger model are scheduled to start production in right-hand drive form in May with delivery from September, but will only be available in the UK with an automatic gearbox (not DSG, but torque-converter). Surprised to find how cramped it seemed inside, until I discovered the base vehicle width is narrower that the more common Fiat/Peugeot PVCs. SWMBO took an instant dislike to the interior harsh white finish and uphoulstery. Also, not cheap - probably starting at around £70,000 for the larger of the two models...... plus extras! Not for us.

A Funster Friend who bought a new Adria last year has had a fair few warranty fixes needed. He did not buy it from his local Adria dealer, as he got a better deal elswhere. Of course, his local dealer (not surprisingly) will not undertake any warranty work! Conscious of this we decided to have a look at IH conversions, as they are made/sold about 7 miles from where we live - convenient and they are often mentioned as having good customer support. However, for us the main drawback is that all of their models appear to need bed assembly each day - not for us.

Wandering on....... we came to the SMC Globecar stand. They are based some 45 miles from home, so manageable for any support needed we think. Yes - the Campscout met most of the desirable features we think suit us (from some 30 years of owning a smallish sail boat, we well understand the need for compromise), with a permanent fore/aft bed (unlike our current Autocruise Accent, with the inconvenience of nocturnal visits), 4 belted seats for occasional passengers - but only wanting one double berth, at 6.3m length and usual PVC width, SWMBO happy to help with the driving and should be little different from our present PVC for parking when needed in urban locations. SWMBO also liked the "Elegance Finish" of the internal fittings and uphoulstery.........SOLD!!!

So, I am now avidly reading the postings on the MHFun "Continental Models/Globecar" and becoming quite obsessed with what we may wish to modify/add post-delivery later this month, especially thanks to @Minxy Girl for her very helpful postings........the only problem being keeping the weight under 3,500 kg to meet our licence restrictions.

Not getting too excited......just lying awake in bed wondering if all the specified modifications/additional kit will take us too close to the weight limit!

:)
You told me you were just looking (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can imagine your excitement after buying at the show.

Been there, done that, and didn’t regret it, even though it was a few years ago now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always tell people that shows are best for research rather than purchasing. But of course if everyone listened to me there would be no shows.:D Those of you who succumb on the day keep the shows alive. I can sense your excitement. Wishing you lots of fun filled adventures in your new van (y)
Although we have been to Caravan Salon 3 times and bought a new van each time we have never confirmed the order until several weeks later. After the show we think long and hard and make sure it's exactly what we want before finally committing to the purchase.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I used to call it boat show madness. I love going to the boat show, we didn't have a boat, couldn't afford a boat, had no time to use a boat or thought that we wanted a boat

Every year we would end up in the Guiness tent looking longingly at brochures, then pour over them on the train home.

I reckoned by the Wednesday after the boat show, the madness had passed and we would throw the brochure away

Boat Show Madness

We ordered our 1st new boat in 2003! and have had boats ever since!

So it seems there is no cure for Boat Show Madness either lol

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!

Very good advice!

The first show I went to I didn't know the difference between A and C class and PVCs or appreciate why they were different and the pros and cons of each! I only noticed really the views from the windows and which ones still smelled of GRP resin :)

The 2nd show I went to I had more of an idea due to inter-show-research but again was really just getting familiar with EHU, gas systems, heating, layouts etc., and then revisited it to have a 2nd look at the PVCs as for my neigbourhood they blend in a bit better.
I then visited a few dealers to have a look around to get more ideas of what I wanted.

The 3rd show (Show visit #4) I then just looked at PVCs knowing what layout and features I needed and that's when I found one that matched closely enough and I could just afford - a rare event like planetary alignment - so rather than buy the one off the stand (which always seems a bit 'spur-of-the-moment' I then went back a few days later after more research (and reading pages of this forum!) and had another look.

So finally at Visit #5 I was quire non-committal but the price and features were still unbeatable - then I managed to get another much wanted feature added and that was it really, either order it or wait another year when we're a year older.

It wasn't really the salesman, it was more chatting to people over free tea at the CCC club about their journeys across Europe using the Aires etc. - something I'd been wanting to do for ages that swung it: shows can be a dangerous place for the wallet :)

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
……...

If you get a chance specify the 'heavy' or 'maxi' chassis option with 16" wheels (which it may have anyway) because if you get really stuck for weight you can get the weight limit upgraded and take your C1 tests.

Yes - can uplift the weight limit. We both let our C1 licences lapse at 70 - did not envisage the need for it then. Prefer to keep the new MoHo under 3,500 kg if possible. Presume, after required medical checks, this could be re-instated and the vehicle re-plated. Will explore this if the need arises.

You’ve picked a great van @Millcourt we just love our Campscout and also have the elegance finish, what colour van have you chosen?

John.

No choice of colour, as did not wish to wait too long. The vehicle we selected was already in shipment from Germany and is "Largo Azurro Metallic"......looked to me like metallic grey with a slight blue cast on the similar van we saw at the NEC, under fluorescent lighting!

Thanks Jim - hindsight is a wonderful thing!! However, no regrets (yet). Thought I struck a reasonable deal and P/Ex.

You told me you were just looking (y)

Yes, yes......I know, I know.....!!!!!! But, it was good to meet you and have a chat on your stand.

I used to call it boat show madness.……...

Every year we would end up in the Guinness tent...…..

So it seems there is no cure for Boat Show Madness either lol

Right again Eddie! First did the same Boat Show thing over 30 years ago (and the Guinness Tent)……..Now on our third sail boat. Getting a bit old for it. SWMBO says it has to go if we are to make full use of the new MoHo! o_O

AND...… thanks to everyone for responding with encouraging and helpful comments.:D

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
We did the boat show thing too, bought a great open boat at Earls Court and it looked a lot bigger on the drive on the trailer than in the cavernous exhibition hall. (A bit like the PVC will LOL).

We eventually sold it due to living too far from the sea and it not having anywhere on board to sleep, it was good fun though and a quality built - GRP roving (woven mats) used through the deck and hull.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have now banned ourselves from shows as we also bought a new van in 2015 (delivered 2016). Still have it and still love it - and the dealer has been fantastic.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we were looking for our first MH we kept forgetting the dealers we had been to and the units we had seen - sooo many looked at. :rolleyes: So we decided to go to hte NEC so all units were there and we could compare all together.(y) So we narrowed the list down and went to the Sunlight Stand to eliminate the A72.;) Well, we bought it there and then and from a dealer only a few miles away from home.:D2:D2
We only go now so I can monopolise @eddievanbitz time, ask him to fit some new stuff to the MH (y)- be told NO you dont need them,(n) then drink his plain and boring Hot Chocolate.:LOL::LOL:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We went to the NEC in Feb to focus on PVC's... We have been considering downsizing for some time.

We spent the whole day looking at all the stands in and out of vans.... we (sorry...I mean me...) were very taken by the IH vans.... howevewr, the Beauty Terrorist having humoured me for most of the day, said..."sorry, but to much downsizing for my liking"...

Ah...... Given we had always agreed the vote must be unanimous... end of PVC hunting...

However, the story has a happy ending... We came away from the NEC, spent the next week looking at other dealerships and low and behold...we pick up our new 7.4M A class at the end of March.... (y)and everybody is happy with the decision....

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I know it’s too late now but IH would have made you a transverse fixed bed model. I saw one in France recently and they told them what they wanted and IH came up with the goods.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I know it’s too late now but IH would have made you a transverse fixed bed model. I saw one in France recently and they told them what they wanted and IH came up with the goods.

Thanks, but a transverse bed is what we wish to get away from. Recently back from a 6 week tour of Spain and a bit of Portugal. Great fun in our current Autocruise Accent, in which we left the bed at the rear made up. We both got really fed up with climbing over each other for overnight bathroom trips. No 6m long PVC is able to accomodate longitudinal singles or a double bed and have enough space forward for shower/galley/dinette, so far as I could find. Hence the move to a 6.3m van, which just makes this possible. We also very much like the idea of more space in the shower/toilet area - which is ingeniously achieved in the Campscout.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
QUOTE="Millcourt,

No choice of colour, as did not wish to wait too long. The vehicle we selected was already in shipment from Germany and is "Largo Azurro Metallic"......looked to me like metallic grey with a slight blue cast on the similar van we saw at the NEC, under fluorescent lighting!
.[/QUOTE]

Same colour as ours @Millcourt lovely colour.

John.

E20E32C7-3087-4BA7-BDB8-4E70FA18B896.jpeg
[

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back