Folding Solar (3 Viewers)

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Just ordered this with a 50% promo discount off Amazon so paid £124.50
NGTeco Solar Panel, ETFE Material, 24% High Conversion Rate Small Folding Solar Charger (200W 20V 5A),DC Output USB AC Port,IP65 Waterproof Disaster Prevention Supplies https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CJBZ4GLJ/?tag=mhf04-21
Hope it’s going to work
Following with interest. We intend to have Lithium leisure battery though.... is that a problem? (thought I read somewhere it was not compatible, but that could be down to my old age and dotty brain...)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Much better to have a separate mppt controller,unless all panels match.
I bought a Bluetooth (genuine )mppt controller from AliExpress £35 ISH for my new folding rigid panels(220w),tested a few days ago 5*
Interested, which panels did you buy?

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Following with interest. We intend to have Lithium leisure battery though.... is that a problem? (thought I read somewhere it was not compatible, but that could be down to my old age and dotty brain...)
The panel is compatible with Lithium as it’s intended use and hence loads of different leads, is for Lithium power banks, it’s not the panel needs to be compatible it’s the solar controller use a Victron MPPT not one of those cheap £15 controllers 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Many of the folding panels such as that in the OPs link do not have a solar controller. They are designed to plug into the solar battery bank all in one portable units and that unit would incorporate a controller.

As my post above, a separate solar controller is needed for most of these folding panels. Good brands such as Victron MPPT solar smart include settings for most battery types such as lithium.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Link appears to be broken/out of date. Any clues about the panels you have OldiesonTour?

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
And another question - does anyone get a decent amount of charge from portable panels if they are propped up inside van windscreen?

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Numbers look feasible v size.Good price obviously cheap china no name but unless u want to use it for long periods (months) should last long enough to get value for money !
This type (cheap china)seems to have the case material decompose with long term exposure to UV.
Hope it satisfies your needs
The Renogy branded panels, slightly more expensive but almost identical (different colour handles) are, it turns out, also made in China. Difficult to find a lightweight solution which is made anywhere else.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Dave, I have order one which is arriving tomorrow.
When I have had a look at it I will come back to you with what it will and will not do, during the meantime ignore the comments of those that appear to not have a clue of what their looking at.
Any more updates on this panel and connections.... we have ordered the same but not yet got the Solar Controller.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Think I read Renogy ones good warranty period 2 or more years,but for the likely use ( unless you spend the winter in the sun) cheaper will possibly last as long.I like theook of the orange ones on eBay with the folding metal stands as opposed to the cloth type props and not a bad price lots of wattage options

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Any more updates on this panel and connections.... we have ordered the same but not yet got the Solar Controller.
What do you specifically need to know as I posted a test of the panels on post #49 of this thread.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Does my post #60 not describe the connections?

Have now set mine up with 30A Anderson Powerpole type connectors and 12 awg fused wiring through to a Victron 75/15 mppt solar controller direct to the battery. Initial results suggest the 200W foldy is generating about 1/3 more than my fixed 150W roof panel that has it's separate victron controller.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Does my post #60 not describe the connections?

Have now set mine up with 30A Anderson Powerpole type connectors and 12 awg fused wiring through to a Victron 75/15 mppt solar controller direct to the battery. Initial results suggest the 200W foldy is generating about 1/3 more than my fixed 150W roof panel that has it's separate victron controller.
I have been confused (easy for me) by talk of dumping the voltage controller supplied with these panels and somehow wiring in a new Solar Controller (Victron) instead. I am still a bit unsure if that is correct, or is the Victron S C wired into the supplied voltage controller. (more a question of trying to understand what is being said so I have a basic understanding, before I seek advice from someone who knows what they are doing to wire all this up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have been confused (easy for me) by talk of dumping the voltage controller supplied with these panels and somehow wiring in a new Solar Controller (Victron) instead. I am still a bit unsure if that is correct, or is the Victron S C wired into the supplied voltage controller. (more a question of trying to understand what is being said so I have a basic understanding, before I seek advice from someone who knows what they are doing to wire all this up.

First thing, have you bought exactly the same folding panels as this, if not what have you bought.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Leave the voltage stabilise/controller thingy on the OP linked folder unit in place. Dont try and disconnect it. It's effectively sewn in / moulded to the panel unit. It includes the USB ports which you can ignore.

Out of the stabiliser comes the thick 14awg lead, about 3m long. That goes into a moulded splitter that has 4 16awg cable short leads ending in either pin plugs for connection to specific powerpack batteries that have integral controllers, an XT60 socket or the Anderson Powerpole 30A connectors.

For motorhomes make up a two core lead Awg 14 or thicker with one end having the 30A Anderson Powerpole and other end to the solar mppt controller. In turn connect mppt to battery.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Leave the voltage stabilise/controller thingy on the OP linked folder unit in place. Dont try and disconnect it. It's effectively sewn in / moulded to the panel unit. It includes the USB ports which you can ignore.

Out of the stabiliser comes the thick 14awg lead, about 3m long. That goes into a moulded splitter that has 4 16awg cable short leads ending in either pin plugs for connection to specific powerpack batteries that have integral controllers, an XT60 socket or the Anderson Powerpole 30A connectors.

For motorhomes make up a two core lead Awg 14 or thicker with one end having the 30A Anderson Powerpole and other end to the solar mppt controller. In turn connect mppt to battery.
That makes sense to me, thank you, much appreciated.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Rob, just one of use needs to be replying to Helgamobil other wise is going to confuse the hell out of him if we are not both singing of the same hymn sheet.
You carry one, but bear in mind that he may be using two panels that need to be paralleled with a "Y" cable.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Rob, just one of use needs to be replying to Helgamobil other wise is going to confuse the hell out of him if we are not both singing of the same hymn sheet.
You carry one, but bear in mind that he may be using two panels that need to be paralleled with a "Y" cable.
Thank you both - I had made a note on my now quite long crib-sheet that I would need a parallel connection (Y cable?) if both panels are to be run through the same Victron MPPT if that is possible, provided the combined voltage and current match the controller's specifications.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As a note, I prefer to use the XT60 (rated at 30 amps) connector because although not "waterproof" they are a lot less likely to get water in them than the open construction of the Anderson connectors. The XT connectors are the go too connector for RC applications.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
As a note, I prefer to use the XT60 (rated at 30 amps) connector because although not "waterproof" they are a lot less likely to get water in them than the open construction of the Anderson connectors. The XT connectors are the go too connector for RC applications.
That is helpful advice, thank you.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That is helpful advice, thank you.

If you buy the XT60 connectors like these then it's a simple job to connect them to the cable to you solar controller with these butt crimp connectors.
A bit of heatshrink over the connector then gives it protection from water ingress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08RTYSTC9/?tag=mhf04-21

1712848873981.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you buy the XT60 connectors like these then it's a simple job to connect them to the cable to you solar controller with these butt crimp connectors.
A bit of heatshrink over the connector then gives it protection from water ingress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08RTYSTC9/?tag=mhf04-21

View attachment 884675
I have ordered the connectors, but can you tell me what gauge of cable I should get ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have ordered the connectors, but can you tell me what gauge of cable I should get ?
I bought 10 metres of this 12AWG cable in both the red and black and then taped them together as a pair so I can get to all positions around our van to aim at the sun. It's nice a flexible cable so winds up easy to pack away.

I cut mine at the half way length and put in a connector if I only require a shorter length at certain times.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
An update for anyone interested in the original linked panels.

Weather on the Devon coast has been absolutely horrid over last few days. :( My 120Ah lithium has been down to 50%, even with all solar deployed, whilst ive been pitched without moving. Of course it has been very cloudy and rainy so flat or tilted made no difference and 200W rated folding panel was lucky to get 20W, compared to the roof fixed 150W panel doing only max 15W. So it compares well and despite recommended "don't get it wet" it survived. :)

Today was torrential wet till around lunchtime. :frowny: Around 2:00 pm the sun finally broke through. :sun:

The folding panel came into it's own as it could be positioned and angled at that bright thing in the sky. By 6 pm I've had almost 800W out of it and it was still doing a good 140W at 5:00 pm with the roof flat panel flagging at under 40W. Despite I've been pulling a lot for a laptop and stuff my battery is now at 95% (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back