fly killer (1 Viewer)

jenna321

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Help needed please.....off to Spain/France in June. Wanting to buy deterrent for flies/mozzies

- can anyone recommend a low wattage electric zapper (similar to those used in restaurants) - most online seem too powerful for the electric available on most european sites.

- or good citronella candles (those made with cit. oil in are needed - not just fragranced)

- or an effective 'tennis racquet' style swatter. thanks

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sorry can't help with your question, but I'm sure others will be along soon hellowelcome

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We use the mosquito coils which burn slowly. We first found these in Malaysia and have found them very effective. We also have an electronic swatter which is entertaining but not so useful overnight! Citronella candles are quite good when sitting outside but we also use Avon skin so soft oil and that works too. My husband is a mosquito magnet so we need to be prepared but to be honest haven't found it a major problem. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We use a 12v version of the ones that use tablets. They are repellers rather than killers but seem to work. One tablet lasts about 8 hours and protects about 30 sq. metres. It is a 5 watt device, so doesn't drain the batteries too much.

OP
OP
J

jenna321

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
thanks......where/which coils do you buy.......done the Avon, deet bit and even the fetching midge jacket/mask in scotland! but really want something to keep them out of the m.home - had a nightmare with the sand flies inside the m.home in NZ now resulting in ultra-sensitivity/blisters to any bite i now get :(

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Buy your spray killer in Spain they know how to make it properly

OP
OP
J

jenna321

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks MyrtleGuru........is there any particular make of tablet that you'd recommend?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We found that a couple of citronella tealights just outside the sliding door was effective for deterring the evening mozzies.

Any mozzies that did get in were hunted mercilessly with an electronic ZapBat similar to @tonyidle's favourite.
The flash and crackle is soooo satisfying. :D2

We also love campsites with real bats such as Pipistrelles. They can eat thousands of mozzies each night.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mosquito netting to start with on all windows & doors. Buy your mosquito zapper when here , cheaper .choice of liquid or pastilles. Chinese shops sell the best fly swatters.
Never really seen an electric zapper work unless you leave all lights off.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
old fashioned gas caravan lights work as well.
yes the flies get in but the midges and mozzies dont seem to like them.
there can be a slight smell with them but have used them in mine for about 17 yrs now . great bits of kit.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we purchased a rechargeable mosquito zapper from America. called the stinger. batteries last for about 8 hours. does the job excellent bit of kit, not cheap cost about £55 if i remember right
bkc90_product.jpg

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As opposed to men with long teeth and cloaks?:D

Garlic is supposed to be very effective against those. I can't get enough of the stuff. Yum. :D2

I'm starting to wonder what you get up to in your MH ... :rolleyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Garlic is supposed to be very effective against those. I can't get enough of the stuff. Yum. :D2

I'm starting to wonder what you get up to in your MH ... :rolleyes:

garlic is bad for you though ..
that and silver crosses etc .

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
- can anyone recommend a low wattage electric zapper (similar to those used in restaurants) - most online seem too powerful for the electric available on most european sites.
We use a couple of small plug-in zappers that have a UV LED to attract insects and high voltage wires to kill them. One mains, one 12 volt. Both from either Aldi or Lidl, I think. I prefer them to anything that gives out any fumes, either to attract or repel.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
June is relatively early in the mozzie season so not a big problem.
Any diy shop and most of the millions of "Chinese shops" sell the citronella candles/tea lights, and also the coils that you light and then allow to smoke... Very effective, as is (really, I am not joking) eau de Cologne spray which you can spray onto your skin, you can buy it very cheaply at most big supermarkets in Spain.

Also try to stay in places not near to still freshwater/marshes/lakes.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We use a couple of small plug-in zappers that have a UV LED to attract insects and high voltage wires to kill them. One mains, one 12 volt. Both from either Aldi or Lidl, I think. I prefer them to anything that gives out any fumes, either to attract or repel.
Sorry, slight mistake, the 12 volt zapper doesn't have high voltage wires, it has a small fan and funnel-shaped trap, which pulls in air fast enough to prevent the mozzies escaping. They apparently die of dehydration. It still has the ultraviolet LED to attract them into the trap.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
thanks......where/which coils do you buy.......done the Avon, deet bit and even the fetching midge jacket/mask in scotland! but really want something to keep them out of the m.home - had a nightmare with the sand flies inside the m.home in NZ now resulting in ultra-sensitivity/blisters to any bite i now get :(

The brand of tablets (that came with the burner) is Bengal Plus. Not sure if they are readily available here (the carton does not have any English instructions). The active ingredient is Esbiothrin (22mg) -- I imagine all are pretty similar.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Does nobody else double up the candles and smokey things along with the appropriate "main de mort" swatter with some lavender ? We find that adds extra "bug"ger off incentive to them

OP
OP
J

jenna321

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone.......shall start looking!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back