Flight tracking is so clever (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have been tracking my daughters flight this morning between Gatwick and Bridgetown. Incredible her flight is approaching the Azors at 520mph and 36000ft all there on the screen...Amazing.
Does anyone else use flight tracker or am I a bit of an anorak....;)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Trains are interesting too

trainspotter.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use it when family and friends are travelling - if only to get to the airport on time and not have to pay huge parking fees!

It is amazing though........

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
It relies on volunteers picking up the signals and passing them via the Internet to a central system. This can result in "dead areas", when flights are over large expanses of water. Bit disconcerting when the flight suddenly disappears

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Tying it into a missile system would make it more clever and interesting. :)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I use it sometimes in the summer, when sitting in my garden watching all the overflying planes. Its interesting to see where they originate and their destinations. They also seem to fly in batches, two or three together from say Schipol to Chicago then nothing.
Recently tracked SIL to Oz from LHR, interesting.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It relies on volunteers picking up the signals and passing them via the Internet to a central system. This can result in "dead areas", when flights are over large expanses of water. Bit disconcerting when the flight suddenly disappears
That is how Google maps picks up road conditions too. Clever stuff...(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Tying it into a missile system would make it more clever and interesting. :)
I'm sure the missile systems are far more sophisticated but it gives us an idea how a supersonic intercontinental missile would look once it is launched.....:eek:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I use it sometimes in the summer, when sitting in my garden watching all the overflying planes. Its interesting to see where they originate and their destinations. They also seem to fly in batches, two or three together from say Schipol to Chicago then nothing.
Recently tracked SIL to Oz from LHR, interesting.
I can remember during the dust storm when all flights were grounded, I monitored the first flight in, it was the only aircraft flying. And did a couple of odd course changes that were reported on the news later. Now I am proving to be an anorak..:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
According to this web page flightradar24 uses different methods. https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just read it again and it says it has a network of over ten thousand receivers. I suspect they are the things operated by volunteers.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I'm sure the missile systems are far more sophisticated but it gives us an idea how a supersonic intercontinental missile would look once it is launched.....:eek:
Not the one I am building. :)

In case anyone thinks I am being serious I am not building my own although I used to (too much info)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes @buttons its an app I've used for a few years, fascinating watching vapour trails with flight details , photos etc to hand.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Used flightracker a couple of times when my daughter has flown to Egypt but the signal always drops off over the Sahara desert.... A bit worrying until the flight reappears afterwards.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Have been tracking my daughters flight this morning between Gatwick and Bridgetown. Incredible her flight is approaching the Azors at 520mph and 36000ft all there on the screen...Amazing.
Does anyone else use flight tracker or am I a bit of an anorak....;)

It should come as no surprise to you that I use a flight tracker most every day. It's called Spidertracks.
A tracker fitted to every heli in the fleet my son flies so I'm able to see live exactly where he is.
Currently doing a geological survey on a diamond mine in Angola. As soon as he turns the ignition on the tracking picks him up. GPS, speed, direction, altitude, duration. Updated at variable times depending on terrain, he usually sets it at 2 minutes when low flying over the bush.
Very comforting for me to sit here in Essex, or anywhere else, and see that he's safely landed again.
Technology at it's best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just read it again and it says it has a network of over ten thousand receivers. I suspect they are the things operated by volunteers.
No idea how that would work over our big oceans though JD the Atlantic is a large area with zero volunteers and she is over mid way and still sending details without any break. I guess it is information going too and from satellite's.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It should come as no surprise to you that I use a flight tracker most every day. It's called Spidertracks.
A tracker fitted to every heli in the fleet my son flies so I'm able to see live exactly where he is.
Currently doing a geological survey on a diamond mine in Angola. As soon as he turns the ignition on the tracking picks him up. GPS, speed, direction, altitude, duration. Updated at variable times depending on terrain.
Very comforting for me to sit here in Essex, or anywhere else, and see that he's safely landed again.
Technology at it's best.
That is incredible GW and as you say comforting to know how they are doing.. (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well she has just landed, it don't take long does it. Expecting a call anytime now.....:)

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Some of us have a slightly more accurate and complete version.

20170101_052048.jpg

Not too many tracks, but it was taken about 5.20 am on new years day.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is indeed ch I have an interest in shipping so use it a bit...(y)
I look on that to find out when the Elite and Super rich are all heading to open water to avoid the coming calamity. That is why they are all buying super- super- yachts. Best place to hide out, at sea.
I use the plane tracker out of plain interest. All down to ADS-B. just spent a load of money putting that on to my transponder system. GPS position height and aircraft transponder code, registration all going out to big brother so they can tell if I am infringing somewhere or something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back