fitting a mains socket to the cupboard about the tv chic c line (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I need a mains socket in the cupboard, the nearest socket I can see is the one on the pannal by the door, has anybody managed to piggy back from there, the route would be up behind the pannal ( does this come off easy?) into the void over the door and down into the cupboard. it sound easy is practice but ~Im sure there are pitfalls, has anybody done it this way or anyother?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
most likely the void over the door already has wires routed through it, they often do. Some panels simply pull out, others you unclip the face and then remove screws

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I took a feed from the door socket to the rear bedroom and garage. I ran it through the toilet locker which has an aluminium protector for the wiring.

how did you get at the door socket?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I removed the socket externally allowing access to the wiring. I fed wire through to pull the cables into the toilet compartment. Removed the aluminium cover in the toilet hatch then fed stiff wire from the o/s wardrobe to once again pull the cable in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive always found motorhome sockets have small terminals and not easy to piggyback from pull the wires from one socket and use a juntion box run to each socket from that

Oct 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-line I4.9
Exp
Since 2018
Mine is a 2018 Chic C-Line i4.9 so I hope these notes don't send you on a wild goose chase.

I've piggybacked from the socket in the panel beside the door to the area above the fridge for a feed to a microwave that replaced the useless oven grill. I also ran some cables into the cupboard above the TV from the area above the fridge. It is very easy to get to the socket, then up to the void above the door and across to the cupboard above the TV.

First you need to carefully lift off the covers over the screws that secure the panel with the socket on. There is a vertical row close to the door frame and 2 at the top. I used a pen knife to lift off the self adhesive plastic screw covers and put the gently to the side of each screw so I could reuse them. They are difficult and expensive to replace. Remove all the screws. The panel needs to slide away from the door frame towards the nearside of the van to release it from the clips that hold the right hand side of the panel to the bodywork. Mine was quite tight and I had to wriggle the top to get it past the trim. You'll now have access to the back of the socket and a bundle of cables that run from the floor to the ceiling. I zip tied my new mains cable to the bundle to support it properly.

Next remove the 2 screw covers and screws the hold the instrument panel in place above the door. There is a gap between the roof edge and the cupboard panels the will allow a cable to be threaded from one side of the door and the other.

You should't need to modify anything to get the cable in place. Reassembly is the reverse procedure. The only tricky bit was getting the panel beside the door back into position. It might be worth taking a photo of the bottom of the foam strip that goes between the panel and the door frame so you can get the panel back in the right place for the screws to line up with the original holes.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Mine is a 2018 Chic C-Line i4.9 so I hope these notes don't send you on a wild goose chase.

I've piggybacked from the socket in the panel beside the door to the area above the fridge for a feed to a microwave that replaced the useless oven grill. I also ran some cables into the cupboard above the TV from the area above the fridge. It is very easy to get to the socket, then up to the void above the door and across to the cupboard above the TV.

First you need to carefully lift off the covers over the screws that secure the panel with the socket on. There is a vertical row close to the door frame and 2 at the top. I used a pen knife to lift off the self adhesive plastic screw covers and put the gently to the side of each screw so I could reuse them. They are difficult and expensive to replace. Remove all the screws. The panel needs to slide away from the door frame towards the nearside of the van to release it from the clips that hold the right hand side of the panel to the bodywork. Mine was quite tight and I had to wriggle the top to get it past the trim. You'll now have access to the back of the socket and a bundle of cables that run from the floor to the ceiling. I zip tied my new mains cable to the bundle to support it properly.

Next remove the 2 screw covers and screws the hold the instrument panel in place above the door. There is a gap between the roof edge and the cupboard panels the will allow a cable to be threaded from one side of the door and the other.

You should't need to modify anything to get the cable in place. Reassembly is the reverse procedure. The only tricky bit was getting the panel beside the door back into position. It might be worth taking a photo of the bottom of the foam strip that goes between the panel and the door frame so you can get the panel back in the right place for the screws to line up with the original holes.

thanks for the detailed info, i had been looking at the screw covers and wondered if thats how it came away...very useful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back