Fitting a Fiamma F45S Motorhome Awning - Anyone done it? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just ordered a 4m Fiamma F45S Motorhome Awning as you do late at night in bed on the internet.

http://www.towsure.com/fiamma-f45s-motorhome-awning

Thinking ill fit it myself after my recent success with the bike rack fitting.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/oooo-ive-been-a-busy-boy-today.157504/#post-2440918

Anyone done it? Cant find much on youtube other than a different make but assuming it will be similar with just screw and silicon some brackets to the body then lift on and secure in place. Might need a 2nd hand to help with the lift part.

Anyone here done it and have any tips? Happy to save the £200 ish fitting charge at a dealers for simple drilling and screwing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... assuming it will be similar with just screw and silicon some brackets to the body then lift on and secure in place. Might need a 2nd hand to help with the lift part.

Anyone here done it and have any tips? Happy to save the £200 ish fitting charge at a dealers for simple drilling and screwing.
Just read this ... please tell me you bolted your rack right through and didn't just use screws!

You can't attach stuff JUST with screws and silicon, they need to be bolted through and have spreader plates or some sort on the inside!

Not done it but have seen one being fitted and also observed the internal fixings on some, then so long as you can get access to the internal wall to be able to fit the spreader plates and you are pretty strong (the awnings are ruddy heavy) you should be okay ... so long as you USE BOLTS not flipping screws! (y)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've fitted one to mine but I already had the main bracket fitted to the van from a previous awning. I worked from the top of the motorhome and my wife and daughter worked from the top of the panel van I'd parked as close as I could get to the m/h to help lift it in place. Our bracket which was already fitted to the m/h is a full length one, but the brackets which came with the awning were 3 short ones. I think you need to be very careful when lining up the brackets otherwise someone will be up there taking all the weight and you then find you can't line it up to hook it on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Silicone is a sealant best saved for fitting bathroom equipment. Sikaflex OK though:). I've fitted two over the years - it's a job made easy by the separate brackets. As no doubt you discovered.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
...took me ages to figure out what those plastic caps were on the inside of the van ..
:doh:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Fitted a new one just recently .pretty straight forward .I removed existing brackets and replaced with new making sure you use silicone to when fitting new bolts through the walls of the van to make sure there is no water or damp ingress .I fitted the end brackets first then placed a string line from one to the other and fitted two more in between to the string line .Check your awning for anchor points which are marked on the rear of the awning .The brackets will the need fitting accordingly .keep to your string line and use packers if necessary .Then place awning correctly on the brackets .I then put a bolt through the rear of the awning into the bracket to ensure the awning stays in place .If your van has not an awning fitted previously you need to fit your brackets to the van to line up with the support points marked on the rear of the awning.You will need help to lift the awning up into place but all the rest can be done on your own. Just take your time with plenty of cups of tea you will do it easy in a morning .

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Fitted mine on our Burstner, I think it came with 3 brackets and spreader plates. It really is a case of "measure twice, drill once". I weighed up approximately where I was going to mount the brackets on the outside of the van, then you go inside the van to see if anything's in the way and that you have access room for the spreader plates and room to wield a spanner. Luckily,owning a eurobox, I could measure down from the roof corner trim to keep the awning level. One thing I hadn't bargained for was that when the awning is extended, the hab door catches on the awning rafter unless the awning is almost horizontal in that area. It's not a major issue and it's not something that I could have done differently by repositioning the awning as it's as high as it could go on the van wall, just something for you to consider. I used Tiger Seal pu adhesive to fix mine, but I've also used Toolstation's own Puraflex for my solar panels and would be happy to recommend either for the job.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when you read the instructions it will tell you where the three brackets have to go once the brackets are in place fitting the awning is easy but you do need two people and two sets of steps
never use sanitary silicon on a van its very acidic

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
The unit arrived today. While I was out mind and left on the front doorstep! Think the only reason it did not get stolen is because its F'ing huge! and HEAVY :eek:

Now....... I did not think about load bearing the weight on the van. I just assumed it would be fine (n)
It weighs in at 27kg according to the literature and mounted with 3 decent size plates.

I just figured everyone has them so every van must be ok to take the weight.... Am I wrong in thinking that?
Mine is a 2015 Swift Escape and the body walls are a metal skin with the foam inner then what ever the inside skin is made of.. Seem pretty tough from when I mounted the bike rack and I think thats rated to 30kg but again that was the rack rating not the motorhome body.

Should I call Swift and ask before I mount it or are they definitely up to the job and shall I just crack on with the fitting? I went for the 4meter one which obviously is heavier than the shorter ones. I just figured if I am bona have an awning then I want a decent size so it doesn't just seem like some token effort.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Might be worth giving Swift a ring, or going on the Swift forum, and asking about mounting it as they should be able to advise the best place to put the fixings - can't remember if Swift build some 'strengthened' parts into the wall for this purpose.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Might be worth giving Swift a ring, or going on the Swift forum, and asking about mounting it as they should be able to advise the best place to put the fixings - can't remember if Swift build some 'strengthened' parts into the wall for this purpose.

Thanks for that..... Took a quick look and the site just leads to size. Its really just talking about purchaser needs and not weight limits though. Ill give them a call.

Interestingly below that on the website it talks about cycle racks and how you can't fit them on motorhomes with a rear escape window.

Errrrmmmmm Whoops o_O

Think I might pretend I did not read that part and move on.

IMG_6958.jpg

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I see that Thule do a 4metre electric option for wall mounting on a motorhome and that weighs in at 41.4KG! so maybe my 27KG is not such a worry. Will still call Swift for clarification though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I see that Thule do a 4metre electric option for wall mounting on a motorhome and that weighs in at 41.4KG! so maybe my 27KG is not such a worry. Will still call Swift for clarification though.
I'm not concerned about the weight being put on the wall of the MH at all, its just a matter of making sure you put the brackets in the right place in the first place and fix them correctly and securely. (y)

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Made a start today.

Unpacked the box. Laid everything out. Started measuring up. Removed some internal stuff for the middle mount.

Watch this space. Hopefully tomorrow there will be the mounts in place ready to lift it on Friday.

Thankfully I have an awning rail in place from when I bought an air awning and its tight to the top very thin and most importantly perfectly straight!
Going to look how much tolerance if any below it I need to lift the Fiamma into place and then I can use that as my straight edge for the mounts and all I need to do is measure left to right and drill the holes.
IMG_7587.jpg

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
ITS ON!

Now what were not going to do is mention the 2 extra holes in the first picture! Were not!

Other than to say even though I go by measure twice cut (drill) once. Which I did... Actually measured about 8 times....... I had a brain fart and forgot that the distance I measured was from the first mount point to the end of the awning and in doing so put the 2nd one in the wrong place.

Anyway once the hole's are filled and trimmed and polished it will be pretty much invisible anyway at that height so its just a lesson learned.

IMG_7602.jpg

The right end mount was a little to far right because of the first error but it was just (JUST) within tolerance of the mount point and left just enough gap for the awning before the high level light and also meant the left side of the awning is exactly in line with the left side of the main window so it looks purposely placed thankfully. Also means I get the full wind break of the motorhome side under the awning at the rear which is the largest part of the body which is good. Purely by accident of course (y)
IMG_7604.jpg

See how snug that light is! looks touching on the photo but there is a slight gap.
IMG_7607.jpg

And here it is... Well in retracted form.

I did not get a chance to wind it out more than a foot today due losing light and mainly the wife wanting help with the kids and tea. Friday I should get a proper chance to play with it though and mount the leg mounts on the body and the winder tool inside the hab door etc.

But a job well done I think with only 1 cock up thats totally sortable.

Have to say was great fun doing it and i'd love to do another now I know the pitfalls etc. Hardest part really was taking the heater and power controls off the wall above the hab door to place the middle mount on. The 2 ends were free and clear inside a cupboard and above the rear bunk bed so nice and simple.

Not sure what a dealer would charge for that fitting but I fell I must have saved a few hundred quid?

Well thats provided I don't find it on the floor tomorrow morning :eek:

IMG_7608.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7591.jpg
    IMG_7591.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7600.jpg
    IMG_7600.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 132
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You will have to change the high level marker light for one that extends past the awning so that it complies with the requirement to be seen from the front as well as rear. Nice job though.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I'll be doing mine as well. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of photos from inside with the bolts and plates

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
68646043-C872-47F0-A836-00E942F233E0.jpeg
1492B710-D31F-4C8D-BBC9-C57CA65365BE.jpeg
A0DD811E-62B1-4DF9-A569-E137BEB8DD85.jpeg
62EB5B8A-3305-46CA-BC49-3C1567D9F59B.jpeg
I'll be doing mine as well. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of photos from inside with the bolts and plates

As requested

One plate and mount is at the rear where our top bunk bed it. The middle one is behind the control panel. This was the most awkward for the obvious reason.
And the third fell nicely in a cupboard.

All pretty much out the way bar the bunk bed one but it looks ok.

Just need to keep an eye on them for water ingress but as it’s a modern van and not made of wood I can’t see any problems.

Good look. Feel free to ask any tips now I am an expert lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just need to keep an eye on them for water ingress but as it’s a modern van and not made of wood I can’t see any problems.

Good look. Feel free to ask any tips now I am an expert lol
Might have a bit of a problem with that unless you have filled the extra holes ... :rolleyes: :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I see that you've got one of the stupid 'electric' fly swatter bats that don't work very well ... can't beat giving flies a good whack with a normal swatter ... something very rewarding about splatting them with it! :D2

62eb5b8a-3305-46ca-bc49-3c1567d9f59b-jpeg.193143

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I see that you've got one of the stupid 'electric' fly swatter bats that don't work very well ... can't beat giving flies a good whack with a normal swatter ... something very rewarding about splatting them with it! :D2

62eb5b8a-3305-46ca-bc49-3c1567d9f59b-jpeg.193143
I find it works awesomely! It’s got Duracell’s in it. Maybe that gives it the extra punch (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We've got a cupboard full of crap like that too ! We have the "Executioner" fly zapper, excellent device, Val rested her hand on it once when it was on the table and the little devil on my shoulder made me press the button, it left a white burn mark on her palm ! :eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've got a cupboard full of crap like that too ! We have the "Executioner" fly zapper, excellent device, Val rested her hand on it once when it was on the table and the little devil on my shoulder made me press the button, it left a white burn mark on her palm ! :eek:
... and prey tell what type of mark did Val leave on you ....? :confused:

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Was bored tonight after dinner so decided to go open out the Fiamma for the 1st time. Been on a few weeks now but not been anywhere to test it and it was bugging me to make sure its fine.

Have to say very happy with the operation of it and the look when open. Once on sites ill also place a few windbreaks around the van/awning perimeter to build a sort of awning zone which will still mean we can drive off by just winding in the awning but park back in the exact same spot later in the day.

IMG_7998.jpg

Do have a query to anyone about these though. They came with the awning to be able to mount the opening handle thingy to an inside wall of the van to keep it handy but out the way.

However the plastic retainer is way to small to hold the tube! I tried with all my might to press it in place and there is no way its happening. Anyone else find these in there kit? The instructions show retainers with only 1 screw mount but these have 2 screws to I wonder if they put the wrong ones in my box? I held off mounting them just incase.

IMG_7999.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have you got the 'fatter' extending pole?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I dunno? Guess so if they won’t fit.

It’s just what came in the box. I’ll ring Fiamma and ask if they packaged it wrong
They do 2 versions of the pole, the cheapo one and the better quality one, so you might have been given the wrong pole ... don't let them have it back!!! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back