Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
That is too much for an oil change with filter. Now, is that a Fiat dealer or a Motorhome fiat dealer. Remember, a service is the same as done on your car, check under the bonnet, drain oil, fit new oil filter, and that should be about it.

Just having mine going in for a service 2nd Jan, total cost £200, it has been around that figure since I had my first service. The MOHO is a Peugeot build, so not much difference I would think engine wise.

Do you have a Marquise centre near you, if so give them a ring and ask how much there service is, that is who does mine, Marquise Motorhomes @ Billing Northampton.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just booked Motorhome in for its first service at fiat dealers, £599.99. Ouch.

Mickey
Really ouch!
Our first, which was admittedly a low mileage service, was around £160 from memory at our local Fiat Professional garage.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Our first one was £208 at Fiat Garage. FIAT do service plans for MH's which are low mileage, service covers oil change, safety inspection etc. Needed to go on ramps (presumably to drain oil) so need a garage that can accommodate higher and heavier vehicles.

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
ask if they do menu pricing, its a price policy to compete with all the other independent garages. the amount you were quoted is extortionate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Mickey

Are you talking about a first service low milage within the first year? Or are you talking about the first major service within two years. Either or £600 still to expensive.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
As others say, our first year low mileage service at fiat professional dealer in Broxburn was just under £200 which we thought was ok value.
Our 2nd year service is due in April, will post when I get the quote.
Suggest you discuss with Service Manager what is really required?
Bill

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have my first service done at two years so it's out of warranty, use a local independant, light service £120 or £240 for a full service inc. fuel filter.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Mickey
OUCH

We have our motorhome hab check and service done in two adjoining units one is a dedicated Motorhome /Caravan service company the next door is a Fiat trained mechanic who does ALCO servicing as he gets a lot of trade from the service company next door
So works well £125 for one and £175 for the other depending on what they have to do (brake lines in Jan as pre MOT )

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My Pug is £150 for first sevice & £300 every 2 years or 25, 000 miles

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks for all replies, It will be a 2 year service, 12000km on the clock,it’s a fiat dealers, not Motorhome,I went there because it’s where I took the motorhome for a recall. I bought it from Marquis of Ipswich so I’ll give them a call.

Mickey

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
2nd year low mileage service at FP dealer Northern Commercials, Dunstable cost me £286 last August. I still think that is daylight robbery when I am quite capable of doing the work myself for about a quarter of that, but necessary for the 3rd year warranty on my van. Apart from the cost I have no complaints re the dealer though, which is also unusual for me as I judge them according to my own standards and expectations.

Ands it is not just an oil change and filter, although they may well be the only parts required. If the dealer is doing a proper job there are numerous other checks and inspections required.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all replies, It will be a 2 year service, 12000km on the clock,it’s a fiat dealers, not Motorhome,I went there because it’s where I took the motorhome for a recall. I bought it from Marquis of Ipswich so I’ll give them a call.

Mickey
Sounds like you are local to me so try D Salmon at Weeley - FIAT Professional WS

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Marquis of Ipswich are closed until Wednesday, checked their website and they do mechanical services which I didn’t realise. I was probably giving them the swerve because their first habitation check was expensive . From the replies I’ve received I think I’ll be pulling the plug on this fiat dealer.

Mickey

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our first one was £208 at Fiat Garage. FIAT do service plans for MH's which are low mileage, service covers oil change, safety inspection etc. Needed to go on ramps (presumably to drain oil) so need a garage that can accommodate higher and heavier vehicles.
Many garages now suck the oil out so no ramp needed really.BUSBY.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Many garages now suck the oil out so no ramp needed really.BUSBY.
Well mine was on a ramp for something, may have been to do some checks underneath such as brakes/steering etc. or it could have been oil but it was definitely on ramps.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well mine was on a ramp for something, may have been to do some checks underneath such as brakes/steering etc. or it could have been oil but it was definitely on ramps.

My garage always uses ramp but because of my van height he cant lift it to max,,so he sits on an office chair on castors and scoots about underneath,,Prefer my oil to be drained via sump bung and then flushed,,Nearer £200 than £600 for full service though,,BUSBY,,

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are short on local Fiat Proffesional garages that we would be willing to go back to. I assume that working on an A class is more difficult, and we would rather take it to someone who works on motorhomes. When we get back from our next trip we will need an oil change and filter even though it won’t be due it’s first service. Can anyone recommend a garage within 50 miles of York?

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Casper, I would assume there are many within that radius, it may be worthwhile checking out the Marquise Motorhome places that may be near you. Only a thought.

Flook

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
We are short on local Fiat Proffesional garages that we would be willing to go back to. I assume that working on an A class is more difficult, and we would rather take it to someone who works on motorhomes. When we get back from our next trip we will need an oil change and filter even though it won’t be due it’s first service. Can anyone recommend a garage within 50 miles of York?
There is a Fiat Professional at North East Truck and Van, Clifton Moor, YO30 4XD.
Tel 01904 479123.
Very helpful, friendly etc.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
There is a Fiat Professional at North East Truck and Van, Clifton Moor, YO30 4XD.
Tel 01904 479123.
Very helpful, friendly etc.

Thanks, but due to the limited size of their workshop they dropped a large axle stand onto our new Carthago last year. They had the vehicle for many weeks and could not sort out the problem it went in with. We were 3 months without a MH and eventually rejected it. We then had another 6 months without whilst waiting for a replacement. We really need a garage who are used to dealing with motorhomes.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
2nd year low mileage service at FP dealer Northern Commercials, Dunstable cost me £286 last August. I still think that is daylight robbery when I am quite capable of doing the work myself for about a quarter of that, but necessary for the 3rd year warranty on my van. Apart from the cost I have no complaints re the dealer though, which is also unusual for me as I judge them according to my own standards and expectations.

Ands it is not just an oil change and filter, although they may well be the only parts required. If the dealer is doing a proper job there are numerous other checks and inspections required.

Thats who we used and it was around £240.

It was all they recommended needed doing because of the relatively low mileage.

The service is little more than a Oil and filter. They did the standard Fiat Ducato warranty repair on the dash as well.

That was at 2 years old and around 12k miles.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
@Flook ,Phoned Marquis of Ipswich this morning and they don’t do services, they also advised me to take it to the fiat dealer as it’s the first service, any advice appreciated.

Mickey

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Was this salmon ? The fiat garage you recommended, I spent most of yesterday on the phone trying to find someone.

Mickey

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@Mickey1 I use Wellsbridge at Ramsey,not too far from you. Very good. They are not Fiat Pro,but obviously do loads of Fiats. Does it have to be Fiat Pro? I thought the warranty stands as long as they use Fiat parts,but am not certain.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
@Mickey1 I use Wellsbridge at Ramsey,not too far from you. Very good. They are not Fiat Pro,but obviously do loads of Fiats. Does it have to be Fiat Pro? I thought the warranty stands as long as they use Fiat parts,but am not certain.

It does (in theory). You are unlikely to get any goodwill on non-warranty issues though if outside the Fiat dealer network (if that bothers you) and if there are any software updates or other "fixes" pending for your vehicle you won't get those either.

Look for a Fiat Pro dealer who is also an Iveco or other make truck dealer. They tend to be cheaper than single franchise FP dealers and have big ramps for trucks so MHs aren't usually a problem.

Unless it has changed, you can use the Find a Dealer function on the FP website to search for dealers who say they accommodate MHs, and then check the dealer's own website to see if they hold other franchises as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back