First Motorhome help (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
I have been considering buying a motorhome for sometime and have been offered a 1993 Hymer 654 can any one help this would be my first.It seems in good order fully loaded with 2.5 turbo diesel, 60000 miles on the clock, air supension, top box, wind out awning with safari room,gas tank. Would this be a good starter van its left hand drive but I mainly want it for foreign touring.Its quite tidy but a litte tired are there any companies that restore these.Am I likely to have trouble with insurance and breakdown cover as its quite old

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Neil
Welcome to the FUN site
I take it's maybe a Fiat base Vehicle, always state base vehicle as well as body manf in questions, as it helps to give the right answers, in any case 1993 is not old, 60000miles its just run in
we have 1981 and older on here some real classics, and there all running fine,there will always be some work to do on a motorhome, its the nature of the beast.
Provided its serviced, cam belt has been done at the recomemded interval and it runs ok now then why should there be any problems, having said that we also have 2008 and 9s having trouble now and then
Check it out for damp, a cheap BQ damp meter is as good as anything as well as your nose and all will be well:thumb:
Enjoy
Geo

Locky

Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Just do it.

I recently had the same reservations over the purchase of a 1994 Talbot Express. We purchased it on 1st May this year and have been away every weekend since. Have covered 1000 miles with no problems (apart from damage caused by me reversing into my wall).

We are off to France for two weeks in the summer.

Since we have been motorhoming we have noticed that there are many older examples than ours. Its amazing how many i now notice.

Go for it and i am sure you will have many years of service.

OP
OP
Neil
Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks for the usefull advise

I am now looking forward to collecting my motorhome in a few weeks its a 1993 left hand drive Hymer 564 A class on a Fiat 2500 turbo its got a few options that I havent got a clue about such as air suspension and a solar panel Any advise would be a help as its my first motorhom and I have only had caravns prior to this

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Neil,

the air suspension should give you a more stable and comfy ride. reducing rolling on corners and when overtaken by/overtaking coach's & Hgv's and, if it has an onboard compressor, will be adjustable from within the cab.

solar panel is easy.....apart from giving it a clean from time to time to keep it as efficient as possible theres nothing else to do. just forget its there:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Neil
WELCOME to the world of motorhomers and a great forum:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bet you can't wait for collection. Any problems just ask someone will know the answer. Your years of tugging exp. will be of help.

Dave:thumb:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Neil and welcome,

Good luck with your new purchase, whatever the age, they all provide pleasure.

Insurance should not be a problem, but recovery to the UK from europe could be costly, but its optional.

If you are a member of the camping and caravanning club, then look at "carefree" for a guide to prices of insurance, then check other providers.:Eeek:

On the question of refurbishment, look at Caravan Upholstery & Motorhome Upholstery - Regal Furnishing Ltd. they are based near Nottingham, and offer a same day service. Not cheap, but they do a good job. There are others about, but when we went to visit, we were left in the fabrics room to spend as much time selecting fabrics, as we wanted, no pressure, then we negotiated. For new carpets, look at customsport.co.uk or .com, they are in the Barnsley area, but offer a good service at a reasonable price. I think they have a mail order system, but not sure how it works.

Also, may I suggest you look at the ACSI camping organisation, look at Motorhome &amp caravan books, guides and maps, Go Motorhoming Europe, Camperstop Europe, France Passion, campsite guides, full-timing the facts, Aires and stopovers guides

We hope the foregoing is of interest

Nomadic:thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Neil and welcome to the fun. ::bigsmile:
We got our first Motorhome 18 months ago. A 1990 A class.
We have really enjoyed going to France twice since last October.
I think you are wise to buy second hand until you decide which is the right layout that suits your lifestyle.
Enjoy!
Lucille

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi Neil,

Welcome from another newbie.

Sounds as though you've discovered a highly specced and desireable motorhome. Hymer have a reputation for quality and reliability. The mileage is not high, as has been noted elsewhere. My last Autosleeper Trophy had over 150K on the clock when I sold it, but mechanically it was spot on. Regular servicing is the key.

As far as 'condition' goes, you may be surprised how good it looks after a good clean, polishing and detailing. Often the manufacturers decals begin to look a little tired in vans over 10 years old, but any good sign maker should be able to re-produce them in vinyl for little cost. Replacing the decals will probably make a big difference.

Internally, seats can be recovered, and carpets cleaned. Cabinets should still be fine given the quality of the manufacturer.

Your Pilote is certainly young enough to give years more sterling service. When on the continent, I frequently see older vans than yours steaming past me on the outside lane:Eeek:

Good luck.

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
Old! I woulnt worry, mines 38 years old and still going!
One of the club members goes all over europe in his
I get full recovery in the UK and Europe with my insurance but only pay £100 as its a classic.
The refurb, I wouldnt worry as its easy to do your self and I have seen some old motor homes totally refitted to current spec for a couple of grand or cheaper if you use a damaged caravan as a donor.
Its suprising how much a clean and a new carpet can do to the image of an old motor home
Here is mine look at the floor picture before and after, looks much better cost nothing as some one was throwing the laminate away, its cheap so if it gets worn or damaged just renew it
thattoheathmountainrescue

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Neil

We were looking at the Hymers of that time, they are a solid well made bit of kit.

When you start travelling europe you will see many of them about.

I think its a good choice for a first motorhome, good luck with it, and welcome to Motorhome fun.

Regards Pat and Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back