First impressions of Ireland (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
After taking the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare on Wednesday and having spent two nights on the Emerald Isle, these are my first impressions.

The famed friendliness has not been overstated. Every Irish person we've met has been very welcoming and enquiring in a friendly way. The only sour note was a true jobsworth English bloke in a Swift motorhome in a lovely farm campsite run by some elderly Dutch folk. All the hard standings were taken when we arrived and the owner said, not unreasonably, just find a space near a borne and plug in. We did so and not 30 seconds after, Mr Jobsworth, who looked as if he'd been weaned on picked onions, lowered his window and said "I think you'll find you're not the required 6m from us." I measured it and it was over 5.5 metres between us. Looking as though he might have a stroke if we stayed put (my first reaction) we moved next to a French Moho who, having heard the jobsworth, said that we were welcome to park next to them and even to share their hookup if necessary. It wasn't necessary but we thanked them and parked up.

Interestingly, this morning, when going to the shower, the Swift had moved leaving its ramps, hook up cable, and a quaint little sign saying " this pitch belongs to xxxxxxxxx". I smiled and walked across it. A Dutch couple, to his other side came up to me and laughingly told me how he'd had a go at them for having the temerity to cook outside using a small gas stove. Being less polite than me, they'd told him to f**k off!

That distraction aside, back to Ireland. The main roads are pretty good in the main (not yet been on a motorway) and the minor roads are pretty narrow. I must say, the concentration needed on the small roads militates against long journeys. We've just done Moortown, Wicklow to Limerick and I'm knackered. I kept pulling over to let the queue of cars past and on every occasion, I was thanked by the drivers by flashing their hazards. At least I think it was gratitude. It could have been them saying "well you moved aside eventually you fecking #%¥!??!" I like to believe the former.

Tonight we are going to venture our for a pint of the dark stuff and a meal so will post further. But the countryside is lovely, a bit like North Yorkshire and there is lots to see everywhere. Just passed through a place called Bruff on the way to Limerick it turned out it is the ancestral home of JFK. (Younger readers, he was an American president assassinated in 1963).

Have a good day!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When you are driving on the roads with the wide shoulders just pull over onto the shoulder as they come up behind and they will whizz by no need to slow down . It seems to be what the locals do :) BTW Father Teds House is quite tricky to find if you are looking :)

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
tacr2man- you're right about the roads where there is a broken yellow line on the left where you pull in to let traffic pass. But on the minor roads, there are only driveways or the occasional passing place in which to pull into and let traffic pass. Fortunately, there isn't a huge amount of traffic! Touch wood.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you get good weather it's a great place & the locals so friendly.

"I think you'll find you're not the required 6m from us." I measured it and it was over 5.5 metres between us. Looking as though he might have a stroke if we stayed put (my first reaction) we moved next to a French Moho who, having heard the jobsworth, said that we were welcome to park next to them and even to share their hookup if necessary. It wasn't necessary but we thanked them and parked up.
You weren't on an English club site should have just told him to stuff it or let him move, 1-2m between vans is quite normal outside of the UK.

Interestingly, this morning, when going to the shower, the Swift had moved leaving its ramps, hook up cable, and a quaint little sign saying " this pitch belongs to xxxxxxxxx".
Golden opportunity missed should have picked them up and hid them in the hedge. :D

What's all this about being on a site wild camping is the norm in Ireland.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Lenny HB-you're right of course and my initial reaction was to tell him to get stuffed but, at the end of the day, didn't want any unpleasantness to ruin what had been a good crossing and pleasant journey from Rosslare to Moortown. Life's too short!

And we will be wild camping when we leave Limerick on Monday and head to the wild Atlantic way.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
1-2 metres between vans is common on Europe. I agree. At times we've been so close to the van next to us, we've asked them to please pass the salt! :)

What was your salt doing in their van in the first place ? ?

Deleted User
If you get good weather it's a great place & the locals so friendly.

You weren't on an English club site should have just told him to stuff it or let him move, 1-2m between vans is quite normal outside of the UK.

Golden opportunity missed should have picked them up and hid them in the hedge. :D

What's all this about being on a site wild camping is the norm in Ireland.:ROFLMAO:
On a French Aire 1-2 feet is considered acceptable.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Went sailing from Cloondevaun to Tellyglass on Loch Derg, Tipperary today. Friend has a Dutch barge. Had my first pint of Guinness in Ireland.
Will send for the rest of my belongings later!:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
After taking the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare on Wednesday and having spent two nights on the Emerald Isle, these are my first impressions.

The famed friendliness has not been overstated. Every Irish person we've met has been very welcoming and enquiring in a friendly way. The only sour note was a true jobsworth English bloke in a Swift motorhome in a lovely farm campsite run by some elderly Dutch folk. All the hard standings were taken when we arrived and the owner said, not unreasonably, just find a space near a borne and plug in. We did so and not 30 seconds after, Mr Jobsworth, who looked as if he'd been weaned on picked onions, lowered his window and said "I think you'll find you're not the required 6m from us." I measured it and it was over 5.5 metres between us. Looking as though he might have a stroke if we stayed put (my first reaction) we moved next to a French Moho who, having heard the jobsworth, said that we were welcome to park next to them and even to share their hookup if necessary. It wasn't necessary but we thanked them and parked up.

Interestingly, this morning, when going to the shower, the Swift had moved leaving its ramps, hook up cable, and a quaint little sign saying " this pitch belongs to xxxxxxxxx". I smiled and walked across it. A Dutch couple, to his other side came up to me and laughingly told me how he'd had a go at them for having the temerity to cook outside using a small gas stove. Being less polite than me, they'd told him to f**k off!

That distraction aside, back to Ireland. The main roads are pretty good in the main (not yet been on a motorway) and the minor roads are pretty narrow. I must say, the concentration needed on the small roads militates against long journeys. We've just done Moortown, Wicklow to Limerick and I'm knackered. I kept pulling over to let the queue of cars past and on every occasion, I was thanked by the drivers by flashing their hazards. At least I think it was gratitude. It could have been them saying "well you moved aside eventually you fecking #%¥!??!" I like to believe the former.

Tonight we are going to venture our for a pint of the dark stuff and a meal so will post further. But the countryside is lovely, a bit like North Yorkshire and there is lots to see everywhere. Just passed through a place called Bruff on the way to Limerick it turned out it is the ancestral home of JFK. (Younger readers, he was an American president assassinated in 1963).

Have a good day!
We had a great night in Limerick some years ago..Couple of fiddlers in the pub at 8.0pm,,about 20 musicians by 10.00pm..playing music and singing until the early hours.BUSBY.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
My mother was Irish and came from county Sligo. I still have family there and we were over there for a wedding last October. Jesus they know how to enjoy themselves. Even the priest was pissed. 01:30 was bedtime for us and it was starting to get going. The Sunday was an extension of the wedding with live music in the local pub. We came home for a rest!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We loved Ireland and it’s people, fabulous place. One of my brothers lived in Roscrea and is buried nearby , another trip is overdue.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been thinking of going again as we have some Tesco vouchers to use by November (3 x face value on some ferry crossings! (y) ) but as were getting our rental bungalow back at the end of the month we'll be there decorating etc/getting it ready for selling. By the time we've got it sorted it'll be getting a bit too late to go to Ireland in order to benefit from the warm weather and least rain (well ... less than normal!) and if our rental sells quickly we'll need to be here to sign the contract ... will have to save it for next year and 'recycle' the vouchers ... something to look forward to.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
We might do Ireland next year. Heard a few Irish accents on iom this week, and realised we were halfway there! Might as well hop on over next time (we visit family every year on iom and in Cornwall. As we’re limited to school holidays, it’s rather clipping our wings as to where we can go for extended trips)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Love Ireland and the peaple. Not been for a few years now but used to go every year in September time surfing. Surfing all day, drinking Guinness all night, wild camping in some fantastic spots right next to the crashing waves and beaches. Met some fantastic folk. I need to go again. (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As I have a wide track chassis FIAT van, I found that the drivers side rear wheel on most minor roads was always on the cats eyes. So it was a case of getting as close to crumbling drystone walls with uncut vegetation as I dared and trundling on the eyes. I ended up with a small light scratch on one side on a transfer, I consider that lucky considering what I was up against.

We found Ireland a lovely place to tour and met some interesting and friendly locals. The motorway I went on was empty (y)

Ireland is a place that is rapidly changing and not always for the better, it's a place you need to see now not in the future :)

I went during the dry spell last year, half a days rain in 3 weeks.....result!

We did a mix of wild and campsite stays, only issue was one night about 11:45 PM a doughnutter turned up to put his mark on the nearby junction to our wild camping spot.
Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Like Mr Fusion, we too had our offside tyres trumbling on the cat's eyes due to the narrowness of the road. Our Bailey I should also point out, is slightly wider than most vans but even so, it hasn't been a problem yet! The Guinness is simply divine;creamier than I've ever had in the U.K.
Before we came, we knew nothing of the wild Atlantic Way other than in the guide books. But since we've arrived, we realise how successful a branding exercise the WAW has been and now there are tourists busses etc so we may well visit other places as an alternative. Today is our last day visiting our friend in Limerick. So tomorrow, we'll pore over the maps, look at our notes of information from locals and then decide. As we have 10 days left and are sailing back from Rosslare, we may well explore the south east rather than the south west. Decisions, decisions!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Mikey RV which beaches please?
Last year Inch beach was the only beach we found with parking directly on and overnight camping, but I managed to park on the concrete parking just before the beach as I have seen a few YT vids of moho's stuck in the sand :Eeek:

I got the feeling some of the older wild camping sites on the beaches have been sealed off for environmental reasons. There is a moho Ireland facebook group, which might be useful.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Used to spend a lot of time up at Easky, parked next to the derelict castle. Really nice left hand wave and a right handed just the other side. Couple of great pubs in the village. (y)
Yep, Google street shows loads of moho's there (y)
SmartSelect_20190721-174554_Maps.jpg

Aug 14, 2016
N Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you are nearby go to Ashley falls beside Leenane on the WWW to see the salmon going up the falls.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apart from all the wonderful scenery and lovely people the most memorable thing of our Irish holiday in 2013 was laying in bed one morning having our cuppa and upon opening the blind found that a wild Connemara mare was next to us on the beach with her foal ... wonderful.

pony 1.JPG
pony 2.JPG
pony 3.JPG
pony 4.JPG

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Last there as a school kid ,staying in Bray Co Wicklow loved it not longafter climbing up inside Nelson's Piller they blew it up .:oops: it weren't us.
Had a first taste sample of the black stuff after a tour of the Guinness factory . I got addicted to it :D
May get back there one day (y)

Sep 19, 2018
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Ingwe. — you missed a trick by not calling in to the wonderful fishing village of Kilmore Quay - just 16km from Rosslare. Perhaps you may on your return. Mary Barrys’ pub in Kilmore is great for meals and craic and Jacques the seal can be seen bedding down on the slipway in the harbour each night — been doing that for about 20 years!!

Jun 10, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2000
As an ex-Galway man I am delighted that you have found your hosts friendly. Just don't ask the way, you'll be there for hours explaining your extended family.
Don't miss Galway city, you can park on the harbour side.
Enjoy
Phil
Actually Harbour-side parking isn't available anymore, but you can park up by the Cathedral or Dyke car park. I hope you enjoy your trip and that the weather is kind to you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back